Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Gerbings T-5 Heated gloves and single heat controller a few weeks ago. When you look at the instructions, they just say to plug the heat controller into the "Y" harness and slip the two ends of the "Y" harness into each sleeve, then connect that to the gloves. It would be easy to take care of this, if I bought the heated jacket liner, but I didn't. So now I have this harness to deal with. And they give you no suggestions on how to make it work other than those vague instructions.

The question is how to put this harness into the jacket the best way, so I don't have the harness getting in the way when I put the jacket on, or take it off. I've found a way, but I'm not sure it is the best. I'd like your opinions and suggestions, please.

Here's the outside of the jacket. You can see the heat controller clipped onto the jacket's waist adjuster. The cables run under the bottom and inside the jacket from there. If you look at the sleeves, you can see the end of the harness poking out where it'll attach to the gloves.
[attachment=2:15q3npo3]OutsideJacket.jpg[/attachment:15q3npo3]

Here's the inside of the jacket. Across the bottom with yellow arrows, you can see the "Y" harness routing. It's a little hard to see because of the black wires, but the arrows and description should help.
[attachment=3:15q3npo3]InsideJacket.jpg[/attachment:15q3npo3]

I routed the "Y" harness cable for the right arm across the bottom. It is going through two loops provided in the jacket to attach the jacket to your pants. You'll see blue rubber bands that cinch the large loop and make a smaller opening to hold the harness tighter and keep it from slopping around.
[attachment=1:15q3npo3]P1040322.JPG[/attachment:15q3npo3]
From there, the harness goes up to the bottom of the right armpit and down the sleeve where I'm holding it in place again with the small loops they have to attach the wind/rain liner.

The left arm is similar. This cable is shorter and simply goes from the heat controller to the bottom of the left armpit and down to the cuff where it again slips into the jacket's loop. In both cases, I used rubber bands to make the loops smaller and hold the harness in place.
[attachment=0:15q3npo3]P1040323.JPG[/attachment:15q3npo3]

In the inside jacket picture, you can also see in light blue, the location I had the "Y" harness in initially. I had it going up the inside of the jacket, with the harness for the right arm going through the jacket's velcro connection to the wind/rain liner at the neck. I was trying to keep the harness in place but not having much success.

So...how have you done it? Any suggestions? I'd love to attach some Velcro on the inside of the jacket, but it has a very lightweight lining material that won't hold up to that.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Had the same problem with my Gerbing, where the wires came loose from the inside of the Liner ,leave it to China to screw it all up, Would suggest needle in tread, But you will probably Delete my account for reccomending that :D

I Used a little JB weld on mines , i put Spots drops on each area, seems to have help it ok,

the quilted liner looks very cheap i had some rips on mines as well, what you can try is those Screw clamps if you can find one small and Micro size to put around the wire to Prevent it from Sliding or Chris, Plastic Cable ties might work for you ,if you can pull it hard around the wire for a snug fit, for the Flimsy Liner ,The Doctor recommends a Patch , A starch Iron on Patch should make it stronger in that area that's holding the wire or etc, etc,

Good Luck ,

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I don't have a heated jacket and don't really need one. This is what I now do and it works real well. I plug the gerbing connection into the pigtail which runs from the battery and then thru a hole I drilled thru the bottom of my glove box ( this is better than cutting into the glove compartment lid because if one does that, they have to "hold" the wires they ran thru the notch they made when opening/shutting the lid/door). I then route each wire so that there is no unneeded slack over the mirrors, steering wheel whatever. This leaves me with enuf wire to plug each glove into. When I stop for gas,etc., I then unplug the gloves ( u can do this either at each glove or at the one connection to the female pigtail) so that I don't run my battery down. I just added a cloth bag that hangs from the steering wheel and when I unplug the gloves, I put them in there when getting gas,etc. After gassing up, I start the engine then plug the gloves in, put them on and turn up my sound system and ride away like the crazy guy I am - lol. I like this much better than running the wires thru my jacket. Does this look a little weird? Maybe but my method pretty much ensures that I won't lose a glove somewhere,etc. Also, I thought about using the gerbings on/off switch I bought but that would possibly lead to me accidentally activating it somehow and then running the battery down - so I prefer to unplug the gloves to avoid that possibility. At the end of my ride, I unplug the gloves and bring them into my house instead of leaving them in my garage which is attached but colder than the house itself. I don't have to mess with the wires in any way using this method since I just leave them in place. Comment/suggestions welcome and have a super 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Gosh, you two are making me happy that I have a heated jacket with the lead up from under the seat...and heated grips instead of heated gloves. My friends who have heated gear have jackets and heated gloves wired into each sleeve, so I guess I hadn't thought about the wire situation when using heated gloves without a heated jacket.

A group of fourteen of us went for a 70-mile ride today, at 41 degrees F., to get the New Year and riding season off to a good start. I had my heated grips on high (they were almost too hot), and my heated jacket set on "low" (I was very warm, nearly too warm). It was a great day for a ride, though a bit of sunshine would have been more than welcome. At least it wasn't raining!

Happy New Year, Everyone! Best wishes for a safe 2013!

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought of the Gerbings jacket, but it seemed superfluous. Besides, my current jacket lining is the waterproof portion of my jacket. Without that, riding in Seattle would mean I'd be buying a "winter" jacket with a waterproof exterior just so I could use Gerbing's liner. That didn't seem logical.

This system seems to work. I just wanted to pick everyone's minds to see if there was something I was missing. I have no excess wires hanging around. The controller seems to be placed where I can easily adjust it while riding. Plugging in the gloves is easy enough.

And the gloves seem to work well. I rode from the Mill Creek area to the Sammamish plateau in mid-30s temps. I was warm and comfortable. I left before Stanford won the Rose Bowl and headed for the jail in temps down to 32F. That was 45F, and again, I was comfortable.

So overall, I'm happy with what I bought and would recommend it. I think the complete answer, especially after reading Dave_J's account of riding up to Snoqualmie Pass this morning, is to have both heated grips and heated gloves. The heated grips are a far less expensive add-on.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I have 4 things 1 - o.e.m. hand guards ( helps keep the cold wind off my hands) 2 - heated grips, 3 - gerbing heated t-5 gloves, 4 - gerbings heated liners which fit under the gerbings heated gloves when its insanely cold. I guess I should get some of those chemical hand warmers too - lol. I just attached the gerbings wires to an on/off switch I have for my sound system, so one switch put both amps on and also energizes both gerbing wiring harness, so no more having to unattach the gloves when getting gas,etc, as I always shut my sound system off when stopping for any reason because its too loud ( but just right when cruising at 70 m.p.h.)

·
Registered
2,832 Posts

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I have heated Gerbings as well.

Since I use an Olympia MotorSports or a Scorp Hat Trick, what I do is run the wires between the win/rain liner and the jacket and down the sleeves. I don't over-think it. Keeps the wires from snagging on my clothing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts