Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I'm wimping out. :oops: I started a thread about Heated Grips viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59613 a couple weeks back. In the meantime, I've been procrastinating on this which has given me time to do some thinking.

Virtually all the time, I'm covering the brakes. That puts my fingers out over the brake levers where ...I'm assuming...they wouldn't get much benefit from the heated grips. (If I'm wrong on that assumption, please let me know.) So I'm thinking heated gloves would be the best way to go.

I'm currently looking at the Gerbing T5s with a single controller. TourMaster, FirstGear and others have products too, all similarly priced. Do you have any thoughts on why to buy one versus the other?

Also, would you go with a single controller, or dual controller? Or no controller?

If you have just the gloves, how much of a pain in the rear is this "Y" cord that snakes inside your jacket?

Maybe my internal thermostat is getting old and weak...or maybe it is that the insulation in the gloves I've used in the past is getting compressed and not holding heat. Or maybe it is a bit of both. :) If it is the latter, unless there's a way to get it fluffy again, I'm looking at buying new gloves anyway.

Chris

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You absolutely want a controller. How often you use the electrics will dictate whether you want one installed on the bike instead of one that clips to your clothing.

If you intend to never use a heated vest or suit, a single controller will suffice. But once you've got the gloves, you'll want at least a vest or jacket as well, and they're already wired to connect with the gloves.

But if you're going to stay with just the gloves, consider sewing the Y-cable into the jacket you'll use with the gloves (a few simple loops to attach it to the inner lining of the sleeves and of the coat should suffice, you don't need to thread it through the insulation or anything).

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jenkins said:
Hippo Hands?
Jim
I'm using something like them...and my hands are still getting cold this year. So I'm wondering if the insulation loses its loft in the gloves and that's why the hands are getting cold. I may try tossing them in the dryer on a non-heat cycle to see what that does.

Chris

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Chris

+1 to Rusty J

I use a dual controller that clips to my jacket...I switch between bikes...the jacket gets too hot, while the gloves are fine...so you power down the jacket a touch...power end is hooked to the battery...just connect the two and go

That said,I have a heated liner and gloves...if you are going with just gloves, then a single controller is perfect

Take a look at Mike's gear at Warm and Safe...super guy, great service, MSF discount...The Gerbing T5 is very good also :thumbup:

http://www.warmnsafe.com/

Having a "Black Friday" deal now

Bill

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
In conjunction with Hippo hands, a heated grip would heat the interior.

With summer weight gloves, the heated grip does fairly well warming my hands. Every once in a while, I curl my fingers around the grip. I have ridden at 30 degrees and below with the heated grips and have not been disappointed.

If I wore heated gloves, I probably would be pulling out the wires by mistake, every time I got on or off the bike.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Chris,
If you have something like Hippo Hands, then all you need is heated grips.
Trust me. Put them on and you will probably only need the low setting.
Jim

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Hi Chris - yea I wimped out last weekend and picked a pair of Tourmasters from Bent Bikes (?) on Auroa/99. $180'ish with tax but instant gratification. Kit included single controller. The Y isn't noticeable. I looped the cable back through the velcro wrist band to hold the cable in place when I take the jacket off.

Intersting ride this morning. Just as the radio announcer said "Below freezing in some areas" I saw the ice go under the tires. Back end broke free - but just a bit. Kind of a wake up call. Don't mind rain, don't mind cold; don't like ice on the road.

Brian

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same here. I don't mind rain and even sub-freezing temps. If you dress for it, you're fine. There was still moisture on the road as I headed to work from Lynnwood, and like you found, it was frozen. Tuesday should be just a bit colder. At this time of the year, the most frequented website I hit probably is the hourly weather forecast.

I bought the Gerbing T5s from Revzilla. They shipped today. I should have them shortly...maybe in time to use them. :) Next Wednesday, I'm getting the left hand operated on for carpal tunnel. I'm actually looking forward to it. The surgery went great on the right hand and I'd like to just get this done. But it means I won't be riding for several weeks. It'd be sweet to try the new gloves before Wednesday.

One thing I have to my advantage, is my wife is resigned (?) to the fact that I will be riding till the day I drop dead, get killed in an accident or the Rapture takes place. In other words, for quite awhile. And she can't complain about the cost of any of this with the money saved in gas by taking the scooter to commute. So I took the big and most costly leap with the gloves. If that doesn't work, then there are inexpensive solutions for heated grips.

What surprises me is that my hands are cold this year, and haven't been in the past. What changed? :?

Oh...one more thought. This was nice this morning. I bought the boot and glove drier from Harbor Freight last Christmas. Did you know you can make your gloves really nice and toasty to put on by heating them up first on that? :D

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
i have the t-5's and they do "help"
but i'd pay more if they could get even warmer on those seriously cold days we get at times. Daboo - i would mention u getting colder to ur doctor next time u see him/her. Might be circulation problems,etc..

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tomfelock, yes, I should do that. Chérie, those Oxford Hot Grips were on my short list. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chris

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Daboo said:
One thing I have to my advantage, is my wife is resigned (?) to the fact that I will be riding till the day I drop dead, get killed in an accident or the Rapture takes place.
Chris
Isn't that 12/21/12? 8)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I too have "wimped out" and gotten heated gear this year.

The wire for the Gloves in a PITA to fiddle with. I had a heated vest which had the wiring fall out of the thermostat controler hole a few weeks ago under warranty so, I am trading it in for a heated jacket liner. The liner has the glove wires already installed so I do not have to mess with them when I need the gloves. The dual controler runs the gloves on a different circuit from the jacket and the heated chaps.
This seems to work out the best.

I also added Heat Demons. The grips work with normal gloves until you go on either a very long ride or it gets below 40F.

Kim

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Gerbings! My wife got me the nicest pair (I think I spoke of them here) a couple of years ago. Had the controller, etc, but you know what, I found that in the cold mornings I was riding into work (20 deg or below), I just took the durned controller out of the equation and let 'em run. Kept my hands nice and warm. No other issues. get the controller but only use it when you need it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like my Core Heat battery operated gloves. Three settings, I start out with the highest setting and as my hands get warm, I reduce them. Batteries have not lost power yet.

Richard L.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
How long is your ride?

fshfindr said:
I like my Core Heat battery operated gloves. Three settings, I start out with the highest setting and as my hands get warm, I reduce them. Batteries have not lost power yet.

Richard L.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
with my gerbings t-5's, i found i dont need the controller. if the gloves - when not powered - dont provide enuf heat, then when i power them up, they r never too warm/hot, so i took the controlller back for a refund.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPS delivered the T5 gloves today. Now...question...what did you do with the wires?

I tried running the Y cable across the top of the jacket (on the inside, of course) then plugged the controller in dangling out the left side by a couple inches. Then I tried running the Y cable across the bottom, holding it in place with the loops at the bottom of the jacket. (The loops are there to attach to the pants in the back.)

In general, how did you thread the Y cable in your jacket? What did you find that put the Y cable out of the way?

I was surprised at how warm the gloves without heat are. When I plugged them in, I couldn't feel much difference. The left glove felt warmer than the right. Not sure if that's normal, or not.

Chris

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I just ran the wires down the inside of the arms. Probably easier to run them under the jacket liner; I'm just lazy. Controller clipped to a jacket pocket on the right side. Battery lead out from under the seat on the right side also. Matches the teather for the Hit-Air vest. Gloves heat up quickly, warm before I'm out of the driveway.

Last year I had a problem in Florida where I couldn't open my hands to work the brakes; I decided not to put myself in that position again, but it still felt like an extravagance to put the money on the counter for the gloves. Now that I've done it I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner!

Chris - I hope your surgery goes smoothly!

Brian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts