Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outside of the obvious "for protection" - is there any other reason to have the heat shield? It looks so muck nicer and streamlined without it. I find the shield makes the muffler look twice as big.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I cant see any reason other than for burns of passenger.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Outside of the obvious "for protection" - is there any other reason to have the heat shield? It looks so muck nicer and streamlined without it. I find the shield makes the muffler look twice as big.

Lets say you were in an accident and you or your passenger wound up underneath your bike between the bare muffler and the pavement . :(

GET IT ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Aside from the safety angle, it's also useful for fending off small scuffs. Back into, park between, or simply get the scoot caught a tight confined space, then that muffler protector does as intended IMO. Some of the protectors on different models, years, markets come equipped with a type 'plastic' guard and outlet pipe surround as opposed to the chrome one.

If you don't like the aesthetics - why not replace the rear muffler altogether with an after-market Yoshi or similar?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Aside from the safety angle, it's also useful for fending off small scuffs. Back into, park between, or simply get the scoot caught a tight confined space, then that muffler protector does as intended IMO.
Yes, and if you drop the bike, as I did once it will cost you both arms and your privates to replace it when it's wrecked after road contact. I have stuck 3 strips of chromed plastic beading on my new one in case of a repeat.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I find my exhaust shield aesthetically pleasing.:cool:

Link

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I remember when I was crossing from Ciudad del Este, Paraguay to Foz de Iguazu, Brazil on a rented bike with my wife, by the time we got to Brazil wife got off by the right side burning her leg.

Yes I wish it had the heat shield. so bottom line if you ride always alone, take it off.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Panela, as someone who still bears the scars of many burns to my ankles from an ill designed muffler back in the day, I suggest you seriously consider NOT removing the heat shield. Burns are painful and unnecessary for just an aesthetic unpleasantness.

Have you also considered the insurance ramifications of modifying your bike and someone gets seriously burned? Scars can last a LONG time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Liamjs - thanks for the advice - will keep it on and may consider painting it black. Dunno why I dislike the chrome !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts