Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a blue 400 with 400 miles.
I'm getting a heastation on the engine between 15 and 20 mph?
Is this normal?
thanks,
Scootboy

·
Registered
806 Posts
I bet it's less of a hestation and more of a feeling that the engine doesn't quite have it's "throat" cleaned out, right? Well, that's one of the unique "features" of the Burgie 400. Well, when Microsoft has a glitch in their software they call it a Feature, right? :)

Anyway, I dunno if it gets better with age or a person just gets used to it but my 04 has over 6K on it and I don't notice it so much anymore.

Quick answer? It's normal. Furthermore, if you put your head behind the windshield so you can hear the engine noise, you can tell that in reality, the engine is just puring along.

·
Registered
553 Posts
scootboy said:
Hello all,
I have a blue 400 with 400 miles.
I'm getting a heastation on the engine between 15 and 20 mph?
Is this normal?
thanks,
Scootboy
It's not the engine. It has something to do with the tranny, being right at the point of engagement/disengagement.

·
Registered
496 Posts
O.K. for the uninitiatiated, please tell me what a tranny is? I do not notice a hesitation between 15-20 miles per hour, does that mean that I am gunning it too much off the start?

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Something like that would bother the heck outta me.

I have difficulty in understanding how it could be related to the drive train/centrifical clutch. Does it "freewheel" at 20 mph?

hmmm - i am curious now.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Thanks Dave. Now that I've seen that I, indeed, KNOW that that would bug the heck outta me!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Pete, it is annoying, but like the engine braking on the 650 at low speeds, you learn how to deal with it.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
u b correct... but ive had so many pos used cars with carbs that did that... :evil:

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Evelyn said:
O.K. for the uninitiatiated, please tell me what a tranny is? I do not notice a hesitation between 15-20 miles per hour, does that mean that I am gunning it too much off the start?
Tranny = transmission

The hesitation occurs while riding at a constant speed and then accelerating. It does not occur from a stop.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok
SO ... what you all are saying is it's normal? I put a can of SUZUKI FUEL CONDITIONER in the tank with NON-alcohol GAS. I can't tell a lick of difference :!: :!:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I don't have first hand experience with the Burgman 400 scootboy, but I do have a pretty good understanding of how these things work from my snowmobiling days. From reading lots of stuff on this forum and others, yes, it is a normal occurance. It is less of a hesitation than it is a 'flat' spot in power delivery due to the design and implementation of the CVT (continuously variable transmission). The Malossi variator talked about in the thread I linked to is an aftermarket part that basically changes the way the transmission deals with the power output of the engine, much like a shift kit for an automatic tranmission in a performance car. The one downside of these aftermarket parts is the fact that they may void the factory warranty. I'm sure if there was a problem a big factor would be your relationship with the dealer. Now that I've said the scary stuff about warranties, if it were me I would seriously consider installing the Malossi kit because those thing can frustrate the hell out of me. The reason for the way it runs, as far as I can tell, is so it will pass emissions testing. Many, many bikes from all over the world run like crap out of the crate in the name of emissions regulations.
There is also the possibility of changing the the rollers in the stock transmission, which would change the power delivery characteristics. I am not sure of the implecations of a rolller change on the Suzuki warranty.
I hope this helps, if I come across more info I'll post it here.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Dave, I think we need some clarification of what we are talking about. We seem to be getting two different topics being discussed.

For myself, I am talking about the surging “feeling” that occurs while riding at low rpms/mph and the slight momentary hesitation that occurs intermittently when you accelerate from the low rpms. What you described is the lag in the power ban from about 25 to 50 mph which is a different situation.

Which one are we talking about?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am talking about the surging “feeling” that occurs while riding at low rpms/mph and the slight momentary hesitation that occurs.

OK.. it's normal.
Thank you all for your input.
I love my scoot and only notice this in the parking lot at wal-mart

:lol:

I sure don't want to mess with any mods.
scootboy

·
Registered
848 Posts
Roy, I think that we are all talking about the same thing. Variator weights can can many driveability characteristics of a CVT. The 'softness' in the power delivery as well as the slight surging and momentary hesitation at slow speeds can be caused by variator response which is a product of variator weights. Some people may only feel one or the other while others feel both. This can be attributed to riding styles, throttle control, sensitivity to such nuances etc. In my mind the stock variator does a fine job in a general sense and most people won't have an issue with it.

Now that I've gone on about the variator, perhaps there is a fuel injection problem that is causing the surging. This can happen and does quite often in fuel injected motors at very close to closed throttle position. Some BMW's were notorious for this a few years ago. I have yet to read anything about fuel injection problems with the Burgmans so I put that out of my mind. As well, the way the CVT and engine work together means that you need some throttle opening for raised rpms to engage everything.

I'm sure this just confuses the whole situation even more :?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts