Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can no longer postpone the inevitable, and will most likely be getting hearing aids. I’m just beginning to do my research, and based on my current limited knowledge, I’m thinking a programmable 'in-the-canal' model might be best - physically, it's similar to an earplug, and operationally sound volume can be attenuated for riding, and boosted for normal listening environments.

If anyone has experience, suggestions, guidance (brand and cost), other recommendations, gotchya’s , etc. I’m all ears.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had the type you are referring to as well as the over the ear type. Both are a pain in the butt when riding. I currently have the over the ear type and like them better because they are easier to operate to me and don't hurt my ear as much. If I am going on a short trip I will leave them in, but on longer trips I take them out and put them in their storage pouch. The reason being is the wind noise I pick up with them. Also the eye protection I wear fits better without the aid on topof the ear. I get mine from the VA and they have both and the only thing you can do is try both styles and see what's best for you. The only problem with that is the in the ear type require a mold of the ear cannel. But they should be able to give you a general idea how they feel for you..

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I recently went through the hearing aid experience both for me and my mother in law. I did a lot of research and chose the Widex Clear 220 Fusion(http://www.widex.com/en/products/hearingaids/clear/) They work great both for me and my mother-in-law (she is very deaf and had to get the in the ear molded model). I paid $3,400 for each pair that included a 90 day trial period, 3 year warranty and lifetime adjustments. If I lose or destroy one within the warranty period, they will charge you $250 for a replacement (one time only). I'm sure there are other equally good or better but I have 3 friends who got them before I did and they were very happy with the product and the provider. I could not find a better price even though a couple offered to match the price.

I wear a modular helmet and I can ride with them if I am careful when putting my helmet on and removing it. The wind doesn't bother me but I do hear mechanical noise from the bike that I didn't hear before. I can mow my lawn with my hearing aids in with no problem at all. It apparently muffles loud sounds.

I know several people (including my next door neighbor) who got their hearing aids from the VA but I have only found one that would wear them. I don't know if it is the hearing aid they provide, the adjustments or an improper fit. The VA gave my neighbor the exact opposite instructions for use than my provider did.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been riding with hearing aids for several years. I find the over the ear type are far superior for sound quality. Make sure they have digital technology. The most important thing is to admit you have a disability and do wear them. Your hearing will get worse and the sooner you start with aids, the easier it is to get used to them and use them. When riding I usually just open the battery door which is the way I can turn them off. The modular helmet has to be placed on carefully. Just as good as using ear plugs for I have significant hearing loss. Sometimes I do just remove them and place them in a little plastic bag I always carry in the rear case. Good luck with your experience.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have been wearing over the ear aids for several years. I have a 50% loss in the right ear and 30% loss in the left. I keep the aids in if I am not riding any distance on the highway, just around town. If I am going to on the highway for a short trip, less than 50 miles, I just turn them off. If the trip is longer, I take them out and put in molded plugs that the VA was kind enough to make when I got my new aids this year.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have in-the-ear or in-the-canal hearing aids. I can't remember. The aids have three settings. Low, medium and high. When riding, I keep the settings on low to help minimize the unwanted noises. My 3/4 helmet needs to be stretched over the ears whereas the full helmet will need to have the ears tucked into it. In the winter, the balaclava makes things much easier. Only thing Annoys me is when the battery is dying while I'm on a long distance group ride and the aid emits a musical tone and shuts down only to restart after a few minutes and repeats the cycle.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have in-the-ear or in-the-canal hearing aids. I can't remember. The aids have three settings. Low, medium and high. When riding, I keep the settings on low to help minimize the unwanted noises. My 3/4 helmet needs to be stretched over the ears whereas the full helmet will need to have the ears tucked into it. In the winter, the balaclava makes things much easier. Only thing Annoys me is when the battery is dying while I'm on a long distance group ride and the aid emits a musical tone and shuts down only to restart after a few minutes and repeats the cycle.
RIC-receiver in canal is the most common I think and that is the kind I have. The Widex Clear 220 I have has no adjustments I can make. The sound level is set by the provider with a computer and the hearing aid adjusts for loud sounds, etc. automatically. Modern hearing aids are have made great strides in the last few years. It does have 3 different program options you can add. I have the normal one along with a music one and I plan on adding a shooting one. They even have one that that concentrates on sounds behind you (for back seat passengers?). Mine beeps when the battery gets weak and it goes dead in a few minutes and stays dead.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I've had my over the ear hearing aids for a couple years. First time I wore them while riding, wife was having problems with her bike and I pulled off my modular helmet, quickly, to go help and my left hearing aid went with it. Too distracted to notice, until we were back on the road and nearly 30 miles away. Fortunately, insurance covered that one, but since then, I don't wear them while riding! :)

My helmet speakers let me hear music and take phone calls, clearly enough I don't need the aids. Also, much more comfortable than wearing the aids under the helmet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts