Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
What do you want for free ? It seem every 45 days for the last nine months someone has started a thread concerning the demise of the Burgman 650.

What do you want us to tell you ? Jump in and get wet with us as we float down de nile 馃Ш馃槃
I does seem like that. Just have to wait and see.

hey can I jump in and float too?

Premium Member
I does seem like that. Just have to wait and see.

hey can I jump in and float too?
Only if you got Sir Hiss A Lot in his noodle 馃ぃ

Registered
Everyone has an opinion. The tmax takes the lead of sales. Ak550 and sym tl500 are clones to try and take some sales away.
People who ride tmax are brash... And lets keep the adjectives at that. A garage I know says he wont service them. Its a lot of a specific kind of person who ride them

The b650 should get a sportoer looking body. It does look like a harley/old folks scooter. Get a serviceable cvt. Should have done that a long time ago. Keep the size, just give it accents to look angry a bit. Looks like a floating wide boat. Like the maxsym 600.except the maxsym is very ugly in the front. And the b650 is very ugly in the back. It doesnt need to be angular with sharp lines but the body just looks bulbous and bloated. The sides dont have to be round and curved. You can also have some accent lines

Dont go a la 400 route. That bike was skimped on and looks very.. Mmm cutting corners in "style"
the 2007+ was an incrimental bump in looks and quality from the pre. 2006.The 2018+ was not a clear bump up. Sure it got some upgrades. What do you expect after 10 years on the 2007 but it also lacks in specs from the 2007.

And yes to the poster above. The b400 has stiff rear suspension. Front is ok

Registered
I take good care of mine. I look to the positive, of a production stop, as a good thing for the rarity of my bike.

Wish I bought a straight 6 Cbx for $2500 back when they were around.

Registered
Wish they鈥檇 introduce a 8-900 cc tripple engine version of the burger. I d trade up for that , and think it would distance them from the bmw/ kymcoo 650 copy.

Registered
Everyone has an opinion. The tmax takes the lead of sales. Ak550 and sym tl500 are clones to try and take some sales away.
People who ride tmax are brash... And lets keep the adjectives at that. A garage I know says he wont service them. Its a lot of a specific kind of person who ride them
Sad to say those scooters are not offered in the good ole USofA.

Registered
Sad to say those scooters are not offered in the good ole USofA.
Very bad business decision. The us has a lot of potential people who'd be up for better priced great quality high performance scoot like the ak550. The tl500 is new and I would never buy 1st gen/year of anything . So it doesnt have any reputation built. Not sure of dealers and parts availability for sym.
Uncle Fester had a sym if I remember correctly. My joyride 200 was quite reliable. Not as good build quality but rhe ebfine drove for a year and a half with a bad head gasket, coolant leaking and mixing into the engine (looked like humus) and imo isnt dead but lack of compression from the bad head and gasket
Im trying to find a new used b400 but prices are ridiculous. People think its some f40 special edition with crazy pricing and high mileage. So started looking for a maxsym 600. Whatever comes first
Tire prices jump significantly from a 13" b400 to a 14" 600cc.maintenance for cvt is evrry 18000km vs 24000 for b400 and less mpg than 400 but I dont have to rev it as hard to get power. Parts are at least 25% cheaper though

Registered
Translated from moto-station.com

This rumor has circulated on the web, and its origin has not been clearly identified. What is it ? that Suzuki would have chosen to stop producing scooters entirely for the European market. We wanted to know more by interviewing the main stakeholders. Guillaume Vuillardot, commercial director of the French subsidiary answered our questions.

禄Read also - Troopy 3-wheel rental scooters back in service
Is there a rumor that the range of Suzuki scooters is scheduled to end by the end of the year?

What I can say at the moment is that Suzuki will completely revise its strategy for vehicles dedicated to the commute. Our entire commuting strategy in terms of scooters will be reviewed.

All existing scooters today will be gone by the end of 2020?

For the moment, I can say that some vehicles will indeed disappear and others will arrive ...

At the moment, all scooters are Euro4 approved, are there no Euro5?

No, not today. No Euro 5 at the moment.

The whole Burgman 2019-2020 range will therefore leave the catalog by the end of 2020?

No. The Burgman 400 will continue. It will be adapted to Euro5. And indeed, the rest of the range will stop and we will have other types of vehicles to replace.

Can we qualify them as scooters? what will be scooters?

Yes quite. You can call them scooters without problem.

The Suzuki 400 Burgman will be the only survivor of the Euro4 standard. It will be adapted to Euro5 and will continue its career after 2020. All the other scooters will disappear or be replaced.

As a reminder, here are the registration statistics for the Suzuki scooter range for 2019:

Suzuki UH 125 Burgman: 612 units
Suzuki UH 200 Burgman: 47 units
Suzuki AN 400 Burgman: 163 units
Suzuki AN 650 Burgman: 618 units
Sales that do not weigh very heavily in the scooter landscape in France in 2019, here are some elements of comparison, for information.

Honda Forza 125: 6,751 units
Yamaha XMAX 125: 6,426 units
Yamaha TMAX: 2,862 units
Honda PCX 125: 3,545 units
Honda Forza 300: 1,910 units
If the balance sheet of registrations of Suzuki scooters at the end of 2019 is not favorable, it does not reflect the quality of the vehicles, often robust and still in the field. Only, the immobility of the range was right in terms of sales. It is clearly seen with the best sellers in the category, offering "a price" is not enough or no longer enough. The best sellers are occupied by regularly updated models at the forefront of the moment at all levels. There is no doubt that this is a purely strategic choice and not a question of competence; Suzuki has the technical means to compete with Honda or Yamaha. It is all a question of strategy over the moment or a chosen period.鈥

Registered
Fine...all we need is a 200+ mile range, quick-charge electric scooter and we'll be off and riding!

Reactions: Dave_J

Administrator
Fine...all we need is a 200+ mile range, quick-charge electric scooter and we'll be off and riding!
I could build one but the upfront costs are high. Its an amortization schedule that would show how much you'd save or not.
When you put in on a spreadsheet is when you may find that spending $18,000 for a high range EV scooter that it may very well equal or even better a $9,000 Gas scooter when you amortize it out 10 years.

In that spreadsheet in each catagorie you must put the initial costs of buying each bike. Then normal maintenance over the 10 years. And then the cost of fuel for those 10 years.

In Washington state we have a very HIGH gas tax. I am paying between $2.429 to $2.789 per gallon regular gas. But for electric, ours comes from Hydroelectric due to the high amount of rain up here. Our Kelowatt rate is one of the lowest in the nation.

So in 2015 when I did my spreadsheet for my commute to work, a 2015 Zero DS 14.7kw came out far enough to pay itself off in 5 years compared to buying a 2015 Burgman 650. At the 18,000 miles each year commuting, in 5 years on a new 2015 Burgman 650 I'd be at about 90,000 + miles TODAY, time to buy a new $13,000 2020 Burgman 650.... :(
But the Zero's battery would be good for another 2-3 years before they would need replacement at about $3,000 for another 7-8 years.

Registered
I wonder 鈥 if there was a BIG move to electric vehicles, our trusty gobment(s) "officials" would likely vote in a healthy electric (charging) tax to make up the lost revenue on gas taxes. Ahhhhh, our trusty gobement(s) at work. Might consider that in your spreadsheet. But don't create too many spreadsheets, they'll start taxing those too. :D

Administrator
My state is trying to add a $200 yearly FEE to combat the loss of the $1.60 per gallon 'Road Tax'.

Speaking of FEE, I must pay a $25 'Weight Fee' for my Burgman's registration every year. I also pay that fee for my pickup truck. They say my Burgman has a Gross Vehicle Weight of 1800 pounds. o_O

Premium Member
My state is trying to add a $200 yearly FEE to combat the loss of the $1.60 per gallon 'Road Tax'.

Speaking of FEE, I must pay a $25 'Weight Fee' for my Burgman's registration every year. I also pay that fee for my pickup truck. They say my Burgman has a Gross Vehicle Weight of 1800 pounds. o_O
Step off the bike when they weigh it 馃ぃ

Registered
Not sure how accurate this info is. A dealer told me that after 2020 Suzuki is going to stop making the Burgman 650 and work on upgrading the Burgman 400. 650 sales have dropped in the past six years and 400 sales have increased. Has anyone heard this?

I hate to see the 650 model dropped as it is a great bike.

The greatest bike ever built and they are going to quit building them? First off, I find it hard to believe but worse decisions have been made in motorcycle history. I recently heard Triumph is hanging on the edge of a financial cliff. Demographics have caused a great deal of consternation in the motorcycle business, now to add insult to injury we've got a global medical crises. I have some health issues so I am done with bikes, but if I were younger I would start buying every low mile Burgman 650 I could find, ESPECIALLY the older models. If I could get them cheap enough I would even buy any used with 650 with good plastics. I rode bikes from 14 to 71 and I can truly say the Burgman 650 was my favorite of all of them BY FAR!

TheReaper!

Registered
Not sure how accurate this info is. A dealer told me that after 2020 Suzuki is going to stop making the Burgman 650 and work on upgrading the Burgman 400. 650 sales have dropped in the past six years and 400 sales have increased. Has anyone heard this?

I hate to see the 650 model dropped as it is a great bike.
No large corporation knows for certain what it will do a year or more in the future. I worked for one for 45 years. Plans change, circumstances change, and management (and even ownership) changes.
It also strikes me as implausible that Suzuki would tell dealers without making an announcement, because it gives the corporation no way to control the messaging.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts