Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Burgman 650 exec with about 5400 miles. It started fine in the AM and the 32 miles to work was uneventful. Also I had no issues going to and from a place for lunch and it started and ran fine for the 32 miles of highway driving home. When I was at home I shut it off with the key in the driveway and put the kickstand down. After about 20 minutes I went to start it again. After putting up the kickstand I turned it on and all the dash lights, head lights, etc. came on as normal. I already had the rear brake lever pulled and then I hit the start button. I hear a "pop" noise and all the lights went out. I pushed it into the garage and put the charger on the battery.

This morning the charger showed a full charge. I think the volt meter showed 14.5 volts shortly after removing the battery charger. At this time it was on the center stand. I turned the key and all the dash lights, etc. came on as usual. With it still on the center stand I applied the rear brake and pressed the power button. I heard another "pop" and all the lights were out again.

I checked the battery with the volt meter and it showed zero. I checked the main fuse and CVT fuse and both were good. I checked other fuses and did not see any ones that were blown.

I'm not sure if this is simply a battery issue or maybe it's something else causing the problem.

I searched this site and found a number of items about battery issues but I could not find anything that I felt resembled my issue. I've also checked the Suzuki recall web site with the VIN and there are no outstanding recalls.

I'm recharging the battery now and I plan on taking it to get it load tested. In the mean time I thought I'd check if all y'all might have heard about this issue before.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have had something like that happen. Push that button and everything was gone.
On my bike, I found a loose connection at the battery. Battery voltage was fine, screw connections was loose. Once I tightened that connection, lights were good, everything came back up to normal. It started fine.

Check your connections at the battery, both positive and ground, and the ground connection to the bike. Check the heavy lead through the bike for connections to the starter or anywhere else.

That is based on my experience, your situation may be different and others will offer their experience and suggestions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thought. The battery just finished recharging so I checked the battery connections and they were tight. I decided to remove the battery to get it load tested so that test will happen later. I also checked the battery with a volt meter and it showed 13.3.

·
Registered
185 Posts
When you are checking the battery voltage and get zero, where are you checking, right at the battery or on some point on the bike wiring? This has me curious. I really think this is an electrical problem. I just am not sure if the battery itself can go from full charge to no charge that quickly or if something else is showing up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was checking directly on the battery. But maybe I was checking too soon after it would not start. I have removed the battery and recharged it and the recharge only took an hour. It should have taken longer if it were truly dead. I also took it to my local auto parts store and they put a load tester on it and they said the battery was bad. I'm going to take it my local Cycle Gear store, since that is where I bought it, and have them check it.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I have had AGM batteries do that exact thing in the past, everything looks normal and there is no indication of a power failure/shortage and then poof all of a sudden the battery goes dead.

I have come to accept it as one of the characteristics of these no maintenance batteries, depending on how old the battery is.

you can load test it to see if it will take a charge, if not then the battery has gone to battery heaven and needs to be replaced.

good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a similar battery problem with a almost new Goldwing 1500 several years ago, bike wouldn't start but charger showed a full charge in a very short time, and still wouldn't start, cables were tight, but the battery terminals were corroded under the cables, cleaned every surface up with sand paper, and all was fine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Captain, I can't help you start your bike, but I can compliment you on the description you provided on your problem.

Very clear.

Blakers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the info. I have not tried to jump start it but tonight I did check the battery with a volt meter and it showed 13.0. I then kept the volt meter hooked up and simply turned the key so the lights would come on. Well the lights did not come on and the volt meter went down to zero. I turned the key to the off position and the volt meter then showed 13.0 again. Like LeDude said, I think the battery has gone to battery heaven so I'll be getting a new one. And Blakers, thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just reporting back that I got a new battery. Since it was under warranty the battery was free. I did pay $5 to make the 1 year warranty into a 2 year warranty. The bike started right up with no issues so I rode it to work today. I got the last battery in Feb. 2013 so it lasted 2 years here in sunny Arizona.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Glad you hear you fixed it, and I have learned new info. I did not know that.
Thanks for reporting back.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks for the clear description of the problem(s) and the final solution. This really helps when your own scooter has similar issues!

·
Registered
735 Posts
This sounds very similar to a problem I had on a cage a long time ago, galvanic corrosion between the battery post and the terminal. Everything looked fine until I hit the starter, then all the electrics were dead. The problem was that the terminal was brass or some material that corroded against the lead post in the presence of the electrolyte or other corrosive stuff. The corrosion was invisible too. A good cleaning with a file fixed the problem and some vaseline prevented a recurrence.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts