Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
@prossett :

Satellite Communication:

Someone mentioned (in this or one of your other threads) a satellite phone, in case you need assistance -- injury, breakdown, etc. -- when you're not in range of a cell tower. I think that's a good idea.

Three or four years ago (at Americade, a big annual motorcycle rally about an hour from my house), I bought a Spot Gen 3 (now superseded) for just such purposes, i.e., for solo rides, in some really rural area. For their products, see:

Garmin makes a couple of devices with similar functionality. See:

I was reading a review a few months ago (in motorcycle.com, I think it was) that had a comparison of two specific Spot and Garmin devices. There was -- big surprise! -- pros and cons to each device and each vendor.

I'm not exactly sure of the coverage areas for either company, in terms of assorted continents. I leave that as an exercise for the reader.

In my case, I didn't find myself off the grid, broken down or injured notwithstanding, enough, or maybe at all, and eventually let my subscription to Spot lapse. (All of these require subscriptions, and after I let the Spot lapse I've noticed that they now offer partial-year subscriptions, which they didn't do a few years ago.) I think a device like this would be worthwhile for you ... at least, more so than for me.

Sat Nav:

On a somewhat related note, my other suggestion to you is to buy a Garmin or TomTom or something like that for navigation. That is, given the potential problems vis-a-vis vibration with phones (which, for example, may have video stabilizers and other delicate internals, that have nothing to do with navigation), the cost of phones, the off-bike usefulness of phones, and, as you note, the possibility of theft, I'd just buy a dedicated navigation device.

These things are cheap enough, especially compared to what you'll be spending on your trip, and should eliminate the need for a second phone. I'm not talking about an Itchy Boots type of top-tier sat nav, but rather a cheap one that will get the job done for $ hundreds less.

Another alternative, I suppose, combining these two thoughts, is to spend a fair chunk of change and get a Garmin that combines sat nav with communication. I think they have such devices. The problem I have with this solution, though, is that I'd want any emergency SOS device -- the kind I talked about in my first paragraphs -- to be on my person, e.g., in a zipped jacket pocket, rather than mounted on a bike. This is something I could do with the Spot. The problem with bike-mounted emergency devices is that you may not be able to get to them, if you and your bike are separated as part of a crash.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts