Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh Ye Wise Men Of Burgdomham,
Just trying to get my mind right (cool hand luke style.). Some guys told me that the headphones I was wearing under my Helmet the other day with my walkman on is not only dangerous,but illegal :shock:. And since I enjoy riding with my headphones so much.But do not want to die,or put anybody else at risk ! I would like to know which way is right: Headphones,or no Headphones ???
See,I was planning on installing this Satellite radio and MP3 player that Miss Santa brought me after Christmas :santa: .So, should I wait,or should I just install speakers into my front dashboard(not my first choice)? Please give me some wise advise,guys,or other ideas :? ?!?

Thanks sincerely,
Lonnie
proud owner:
'2003 Suzuki Burgman 650(blue)

·
Registered
822 Posts
In California it is illegal to wear headsets that cover both ears:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27400.htm
Wearing in one ear is ok.

Look for the Vehicle Code online in your state to see if its legal for you.

Hint: if you want to take a chance, I don't know how they're going to figure out if you're covering both ears unless you're pulled over and asked to remove your helmet! On the other hand if you're involved in an accident and it was discovered you had both ears covered with a headset, then you could be in for some major legal problems! Choice is yours.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You can also take the speakers out of the headset, or buy a set specifically made for helmets, and put them in the helmet. Most helmets have small pouches for them.

Then you aren't "covering" any ears.

·
Registered
520 Posts
chuck807 said:
In California it is illegal to wear headsets that cover both ears:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27400.htm
Wearing in one ear is ok.

Choice is yours.
Ha! Funny story. I live in Calif and got stopped for my MP3 Earbuds in both ears. I explained that since I was already DEAF in my right ear it didn't matter! If I hadn't been a former employee of the Oceanside Police Dept., I think I may have got the ticket too....They'll use ANY excuse to stop a Burgman and "ask questions". :geek:
Mikr

·
Registered
209 Posts
You're probably going to find that every state is different. Pennsylvania's rules are:

3314. Prohibiting use of hearing impairment devices.
(a) General rule - No driver shall operate a vehicle while wearing or using one or more headphones, earphone, or any similar device which the department by regulation determines would impair the ability of the driver to hear traffic sounds.

(b) Exception - This section does not prohibit the use of hearing aids or other devices for improving the hearing of the driver nor does it prohibit the use of communication equipment by motorcycle operators complying with Section 3525 (relating to protective equipment for motorcycle riders).

See http://www.pamsp.com/MotorcycleLaws.aspx

·
Registered
133 Posts
Then how is it a deaf person can get a drivers license?

And doesn't my helmet impair my ability?? :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Guys, for all the replies. It kind of sum it all up about what I was currently thinking. I think I might rig it up with one of those in-the-helmet headset routines.

Thanks again,
Buddy(that's what everyone calls me !)

·
Registered
969 Posts
I wear ear buds from time to time. Sadly, it doesn't impair my ability to hear traffic noises any more than ear plugs. :wink:

Steve

·
Registered
71 Posts
The other potential issue is that you might have to really crank the volume to hear at speeds, making you nearly deaf when stopped at a light or something.

The nice (albeit expensive) solution I'm using is an intercom unit made by Baehr (there are others with similar systems out there). You can hook your passenger, as well as walkman, mobile phone, etc. into the system, and then you mount little speakers and mic in the helmet, which is about 20-60mins work with a hot glue gun.

The system has an automatic volume feature similar to some cars, as ambient wind noise raises, the volume goes up, so you can hear your music at speed, and also hear traffic, horns, etc. around you when stopped. These systems take a bit of time to install and adjust, but I've really appreciated mine. The unit I have will play music for both driver and pillon, and mute the music when we are talking, or when a mobile phone call comes in.

Some may question having your mobile on the moto, but it's very nice when I'm "working from home" and out on the bike, or when my fiancee needs to get a hold of me. If you want some more info on the specific unit i have, feel free to PM me.

Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts