Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
FYI

5/28/15 LA Times front page headline

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-motorcycle-lanesplitting-20150528-story.html

There it is. Talk amongst yourselves.
Would be a lot more helpful to me if it were happening here, rather than California :)

But I think that although lane splitting should be permitted everywhere - I'm unlikely to do it myself. American drivers are just trained to be complete pricks once they get behind the wheel. They will just run you over and cut you off and do anything they can to keep someone else from getting ahead, even if it costs them NOTHING. In places that do not have a "tradition" of lane splitting, no matter how much "education" you put out there, I expect road rage incidents to spike through the roof.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I wouldn't lane split either. With the side cases on my Burgman I consider it to wide. I've also seen to many youtube videos of accidents, and as Alaskaguy pointed out people are dicks.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I was once totally against lane-splitting but after educating myself I am for it under certain situations and regulations. I think the speed limits in the Cali proposal seem fine. They are actually a little faster than I would have suggested but at least there are limits. High speed lane-splitting is dangerous and not just for the rider doing it.

It didn't say if the lane splitting is for the freeways only or on all multi-lane streets. I don't know about Cali but there are some roads here that are too narrow to do lane-splitting on{especially with all the trucks and SUVs}.

I can see some states following in the years to come. However I doubt New Mexico will be one of them. With the exception of Albuquerque and maybe Los Cruses and a few parts of Sante Fe it isn't really needed here anyway.

If it were legal here I might use it on occasion but it would it be rare.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Only accident I've had in 55+ years was when I was hit from behind on my 400 while stopped in traffic. :(

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm all for it especially in Calf traffic conditions. I'd think its more dangerous to be in stop and go traffic in between cars than next to cars..all it takes is for one cell phone zombie cager to ruin your day..it's much safer imo, to be next to the zombie rather than in front of them.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I lane split only when the freeway is so congested that it would be impossible for a car to suddenly change lanes. And I ride at speeds within the proposed law. And only when there is a decent amount of room - none of this threading the needle stuff for me.

I do have to say that in my experience, many drivers who see a lane splitter coming, will try and move over to make more room - even a few inches helps. But, there are the rare a-holes who will move to block you if they see you coming.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Okay... Time for "Ask the Lane Splitter". I'll be happy to answer any question you have. Lol.

I've been splitting for at least 25 years and find it safer, within proposed guidelines, than sitting in a lane. Obviously, I think the law would be great, but I read trepidation amongst the members.

For the record, I'm speaking of safe and sane lane splitting, as described in the article. Crazy guys going 75 mph between cars is reckless riding. Period. And should not be tolerated at all. Many of the videos I've seen are of this nature and NOT what is proposed, nor what I favor. Please don't get the legal lane splitting I'm talking about confused with the hooligan riding we've all seen and dispise.

First and foremost, what everyone one must remember is that lane splitting is OPTIONAL. There is NO law, proposed or otherwise, that says you HAVE to do it. If you wanna just sit in a lane... Feel free. However, if the need arises, and you feel it's safer, then go ahead and do it, safely. To me this is the single most important point to be made. It gives riders options, another tool in the box of skills to have on hand should they need it. And I'm all for more skills when riding.

Second thing to remember... In general, the ONLY person to get hurt in an accident is the lane splitter. So all the "personal freedoms" folks should be for it. This is a rare occation when the government is actually contemplating giving citizens MORE "freedoms"

Third, I really do think it's safer. In 25 years of doing it, I've yet to make contact with a car, nor do I know anyone who has. But I know a few people that have been rear-ended though. Just my personal experience, but recent studies appear to back me up.

Lastly, people will argue that it couldn't be done in their state because the drivers are crazy/dicks/uptight, etc. What can I say, You know the drivers in your state better than I. But this is done throughout the rest of the world. I can't imagine they're crazier than some of the Asian cities I've seen videos of. Perhaps there could be trial periods the state could impose, see if accidents go up significantly. Or public education programs, backed up with tickets for drivers who cut people off, DMV questions on drivers tests, etc. To just say it's impossible is defeatist.

Personally I don't see any arguments why a biker would be against other states to at least try it. Like I mentioned, if you don't like it, don't do it. But why hold others bikers back from the option?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
But this is done throughout the rest of the world. I can't imagine they're crazier than some of the Asian cities I've seen videos of.
Not a matter of people being crazy. It's a matter of people being self-entitled assholes. I defy you to identify a society that outranks America in this particular area.

Personally I don't see any arguments why a biker would be against other states to at least try it. Like I mentioned, if you don't like it, don't do it. But why hold others bikers back from the option?
As I pointed out above - I think it should be legal EVERYWHERE - and without the need for a specific law "making" it legal. I was just pointing out that I'd be disinclined to practice it, due to America's driving habits.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Not a matter of people being crazy. It's a matter of people being self-entitled assholes. I defy you to identify a society that outranks America in this particular area.
Los Angeles...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Being able to lane split is one of the few things I miss about not living in California. Not going to happen, but would love for it to become legal here in Kentucky.

Doug

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Filtering is legal in the UK but we still get idiots who see it as unfair, they are stuck so everybody else should be and many car drivers don't know its legal and it does occasionally come to blows.

Occasionally someone will move to block me - but I'm on a bike so I just go around the other side wher he's made me a nice big space.

I believe that bikers can sometimes send the wrong message that it is OK for them and a car to be half an inch away from each other - they would get very upset if a car passed them just half an inch away.

The main thing is that it keeps the traffic flowing. A filtering bike is one more vehicle you don't have to queue behind.

In Paris, France there was a demonstration about proposed regulations to ban filtering. Bikes took to the road at rush hour and every single one took up the space of a car and did no filtering etc. The whole city came to a standstill, they know how to make that kind of point in France :)
The legislation was dropped as a bad idea

Improving congestion is probably the best ammunition for getting it legalised.

We had our own smaller version in the UK, I'm in there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Today I dealt with a school bus - A SCHOOL BUS who, to avoid congestion, decided to cross the double solid line, go into ON-COMING TRAFFIC, and attempt to move forward. Naturally this dumb witch was right in front of me - and I was riding into sun glare - but I was able to stop in time. I kinda wish I would have rammed her full speed. The settlement I would get from the city would mean I would never have to work again.

Of course, she had the nerve to honk her horn at me to get out of her way. I didn't. She got the idea and went around me - into the OTHER on-coming traffic lane.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I wouldn't stop with telling us...I tell the Bus company too...they need to know what you saw her do

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I wouldn't stop with telling us...I tell the Bus company too...they need to know what you saw her do
I thought about it - going back and getting pictures and so forth, then contacting the company, etc. etc. But you know what? That's just time and energy from me, spent on their BS. I don't have the time or energy for it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
In Paris, France there was a demonstration about proposed regulations to ban filtering. Bikes took to the road at rush hour and every single one took up the space of a car and did no filtering etc. The whole city came to a standstill, they know how to make that kind of point in France :)
The legislation was dropped as a bad idea

Improving congestion is probably the best ammunition for getting it legalised.
Yes, I love that story about Paris. But what are the picture of? Some sort of rally afterwards? I don't see any cars.

There are surprisingly few bikes in the US, and very few that actually commute on them. Bikes are more for enjoyment than transportation. One would think that in Los Angeles, with year-round riding weather and lane-splitting, the freeways would be filled with bikes, but there's only a few other bikes I consistently see commuting. And I ride the 101/405 interchange, one of the busiest in the world. And if it's raining, forget it, I'm pretty much the only one on two wheels in my little corner of the world.

So the congestion Alleviation is a nice side benefit, but people would need to be convinced that it's safe. Otherwise the safteycrats would argue that we're trading lives for shorter commute times. Fortunately, the data seems to suggest that it is safe, safer than sitting in a lane. So that might be the argument to go with when proposing it to new states.

In any case, I hope the law goes through. Not for Californians, it's already accepted here, but because it might get some other states to finally start looking at it. :D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
There are surprisingly few bikes in the US, and very few that actually commute on them.
I am fortunate enough that they offer free motorcycle parking where I work. It saves me $45/week over parking my car. That really adds up!

One would think that in Los Angeles, with year-round riding weather and lane-splitting, the freeways would be filled with bikes, but there's only a few other bikes I consistently see commuting. And I ride the 101/405 interchange, one of the busiest in the world. And if it's raining, forget it, I'm pretty much the only one on two wheels in my little corner of the world.
It's crazy to me that everyone there is not riding a motorcycle. I've been on your roads in that traffic - it's nuts. Why people willingly put up with that when they have an easy solution available is beyond me.

So the congestion Alleviation is a nice side benefit, but people would need to be convinced that it's safe.
Or they need more incentives. How about free motorcycle parking city-wide? How about a local income tax credit for motorcycle use, based on mileage? How about "motorcycle only" traffic lanes? Anything and everything to take cars off and put motorcycles on the road. We do plenty of social engineering in other areas - this would be a great place. We'll always have too many cars on the road, but every motorcycle that replaces a car in daily city life is an advancement.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Very few bikes in the UK too, but in Paris bikes are everywhere.

The second pic was about a thousand bikes pulling onto a UK motorway together. And riding at a sedate pace . The cars/normal traffic are all behind the bikes.

The 1st pic is Paris. Not seeing any cars was the point they were after. The bikes clogged up the routes in to the city by taking a car space each and simply excluded the cars.
"If you want us to ride to these new rules there will be no room left for you"

There are a phenomenal number of maxi scooter in places like Paris which obviously helps.
The outskirts looked more like the picture below, the one above is once they arrived.
Mostly it got people listening to bikers for a change.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anyone who has been to Europe, especially Germany, will tell you that American drivers are rude, entitled, inexperienced and just plain poor drivers. Having driven in places like Paris, Munich, all over Germany on the Autobahn especially, I can tell you that the rest of the world treats driving like it really is, a PRIVILEGE. Germans treat each trip in the car as a treat, and they know how to drive. Lane splitting up here in Washington was in the legislature but got dropped at the end of session. The commute between Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia is one of the worst in the state, and cagers are mean, inconsiderate and distracted. I always ride assuming no one can see me, and lane splitting would allow me to control my space better than getting hit from the rear by some ass texting while driving.

We did pass a law that motorcycles, after one cycle of traffic lights, can proceed if the bike didn't trip the road sensor. Auto drivers look at me when I do that like I'm some sort of punk felon running lights. Can you imagine if they do pass a lane splitting law how pissed these already jacked up cagers would be? Lots of public service announcements and training for bike riders would be needed. I would get training and learn how to split safely.

By the way, It's going to be 82 up here today and riding season is here!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts