Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi and Low beam or just one or the other. If nothing is working you have a power issue to the lights or a bad ground. If both lights are not working take a look at the wiring where it branches out to the two headlights and make sure you are getting power there. if not then work your way back until you find power. It'll probably require you have a wiring diagram to assist you in the troubleshooting. On my Vstrom I used to have I found a corrosion issue going to my headlights that caused an intermittent light out condition, you may have the same problem.
Greg

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
Stewart, some questions for ya. Are both lights out? Are both High and lows out? Does that little Yellow button on the left handle bar on the front side flash the highs? Does pushing and wiggeling the starter button make the lights flash?

On the 04 and up 650's the starter button will shut off the headlights so it has more cranking power. This button gets corrored sometimes.

On the Low/High switch on the left a white wire has been known to come loose and then the lights do not work.

Let us know, bet we can figure it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave_J for your response. Yes, both lights are out. At one point, the yellow turning botton did work the lights; so I taped closed. That was a temporary fix. I'm back to no lights. I'll check the white wire in the hi/low switch. Also will check ground. I do thank you.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
At one point, the yellow turning botton did work the lights; so I taped closed. That was a temporary fix. I'm back to no lights. I'll check the white wire in the hi/low switch.
I believe holding the flash to pass switch too long eventually damages it and the whole left switch pod would have to be replaced to fix it unless you can take it apart and fix it but they don't sell repair parts.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
MJR, the lights were not working before I tape to pass switch, Are you sure?
You have one problem why they were not working but holding the flash to pass can damage the spring (it carries the current and was not built to be used constantly only mometarily) in that switch. There was another guy on here a while ago that was trying to find a replacement spring for it because Suzuki didn't sell repair parts.

If your not going to use that switch then you'll just need to find and fix the original problem why the lights do not work.

Having more information in your profile or post would help like what year your bike is or your location in case another board member is local to offer help.

If your bike is one of those years Dave listed above then as he suggested try wiggling the starter button to see if they either come on or flicker a bit. Some folks spray something like WD I think and can get them working or if your good at taking small stuff apart you can do that and rebuild it.

This is the inside of a 2005 starter switch taken apart. I took it apart, cleaned it, lightly sanded the contacts, stretched the spring for more force, made sure the spring loaded contact moved freely in the plastic part, then a little dielectric grease and reassembled it.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks MJR. I don't see a real need to use the switch. I have a 2009 executive. I am located in Norfolk, Virginia. I will try wiggling the starter switch and also the battery grounds. Thanks again.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm assuming you are not getting high or low beams on the pair of headlights... Check the fuses in the fuse box, LHS beside the main glovebox compartment next to the air-filter housing.

This does sound like a jammed starter switch/button. It is often not obvious, since one often takes very little notice if the starter button returns back out after its been pressed in. Check that the starter button is returning back outwards. It is highly unusual that both lights high and low beams go out, since the pair of headlight have their own paired high and low fuses. Meaning that low beam uses a combined fuse for the pair of headlights and the same for highbeam. When the starter button jams (remains stuck inwards) once the engine fires/starts there is no jamming or continued engagement of the starter unlike many other vehicles.

Just to be sure, check that the starter button is not jammed in, cause it sure does sound like this very common complaint. If the starter button is jammed, spray some WD40 or similar liberally into the area of the starter button, while attempting to press the button in multiple times, this usually works the button loose.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Purchase spray can of electronic contact cleaner, use to spray all around switch and into all crack, this clean and help losen sticky switch especially if bike left outside in dust rain or snow often.

When wash bike now, cover all switch with plastic bag to stop water from get in.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I think MJR and bikerdoc has hit the nail on the head. Almost every time someone has a problem with both headlights it's usually the starter switch. After the scooter is running wiggle around and play around with the starter switch. I think you will find out your headlights will flicker or come on. Clean the starter switch and I think you will be happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, My name is Jim, and I am in East Texas. I am having the same problem as you have described here. I was backing my bike (an '06 Burgman 650), out of my shop after storing it for the winter. I had a trinkle charger on it all winter. and while backing, the headlight
went out. I carried it to the Suzuki shop to have it checked. I figured it was some relay that went out. But later, when I found your site, and info. it sounded exactly the same problem as I was having. When I got it to the shop, I told the manager to go ahead and
replace the starter switch, as it was getting weak, and had to cmpress it real hard to make contact. Then the button did not spring back out. It just stayed flat against the housing. But when I found your post, I figured I could fix it myself, and save the $80 an hour. So, I brought it home, but haven't had a chance to work on it yet. Could you please give me some advise before I start on it??????

Thank's so much;
Jim Harvey
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi, My name is Jim, and I am in East Texas. I am having the same problem as you have described here. I was backing my bike (an '06 Burgman 650), out of my shop after storing it for the winter. I had a trinkle charger on it all winter. and while backing, the headlight
went out. I carried it to the Suzuki shop to have it checked. I figured it was some relay that went out. But later, when I found your site, and info. it sounded exactly the same problem as I was having. When I got it to the shop, I told the manager to go ahead and
replace the starter switch, as it was getting weak, and had to cmpress it real hard to make contact. Then the button did not spring back out. It just stayed flat against the housing. But when I found your post, I figured I could fix it myself, and save the $80 an hour. So, I brought it home, but haven't had a chance to work on it yet. Could you please give me some advise before I start on it??????

Thank's so much;
Jim Harvey
[email protected]
Hey Jim, you could take the whole switch assembly apart. I've done it a couple of times, but honestly you could try the less is more approach too which might work. Grab yourself a rag, a can of WD40 or other suitable spray lubricant, one that has the long thin plastic nozzle. Place the rag under the switch housing by whatever means necessary. It's simply to soak up any excess lubricant. Take that long thin nozzle attached to the can of lubricant, and poke it in amongst the switches, in between the small gap of the starter button as best as you can, squirt liberally all the while pressing and depressing that friggin starter button... until it works itself loose and it should. Spray a little more for good measure once the starter button springs back out as it's designed to do. This method has worked for me, on both my K4 and K7 scoot... I'm hoping this might not be something needed on the L4. But time will tell...
So while one can take the switch apart and apply dialectic grease etc... for me the other solution described works just as well, and doesn't require one to fiddle with taking the whole switch cluster apart... Worth a shot...

·
Registered
438 Posts
What MJR said.

The starter switch is a known point of failure. I chased it for a while. The gunk they put in the switch gets sticky and prevents the copper bit from sliding back to close the circuit when you release the switch. The headlights stay off, can flicker and sometimes they will stay on for a while.

Take the switch apart carefully. There are tiny parts that are spring-loaded, so I open it in a baggie. Clean it, lube it and put it back together. Work carefully, and it's not hard.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi-beam out

reading other head lite problems, mine seams to be a little unique. I have no hi-beams, period. the flash to pass does not work and the stat does not turn of the low beams. I can get some voltage at the fuse clip for hi-beams(4-5 volts) other times 12 volts until I put the fuse back in. I have changed fuses several times. I think I have a loose connection on the back side of the fuse block. trouble is that I do not know how to getr it out far enough to try and repair it. Help if you can, it will be appreciated.

'06 Burge

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
reading other head lite problems, mine seams to be a little unique. I have no hi-beams, period. the flash to pass does not work and the stat does not turn of the low beams. I can get some voltage at the fuse clip for hi-beams(4-5 volts) other times 12 volts until I put the fuse back in. I have changed fuses several times. I think I have a loose connection on the back side of the fuse block. trouble is that I do not know how to getr it out far enough to try and repair it. Help if you can, it will be appreciated.
All '05-up pushing the starter switch in disables the headlights unless someone has wired bypassing it, which I wouldn't put past some owners. The fuse box at the dash just pulls off its mounting tabs. You definitely have a wiring issue it sounds like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys are the best! My headlights went out and I dreaded the downtime and cost of a visit to the Suzuki store (there isn't one in my town). But after reading your post, I spewed tuner cleaner into the starter button, followed by canned air "dust chaser". Operated the button 15-20 times, turned on the switch, and HAVE LIGHTS.
Thanks to all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts