Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts
Okay sportsfans, I just did the bypass test:

1) I cut off the banana plugs, and connected a couple of leads together, using an appropriately sized Posi-Lock:

Gesture Font Art Pattern Rectangle

I also did a resistance check, and the connection was fine.

2) With the key turned to the ON position, I stuck one end of my two-pronged probe onto one of the outer blobs of the starter switch, and touched the other probe to the yellow-w/white (i.e., middle) blob on the headlight switch.

Got lights! (I only did this for a second or two. Very obvious that the headlights went on, what with no sunlight in the garage.)

3) I removed the probes, turned the key off, moved the headlight switch to its other position, and repeated step 2, i.e., each outside starter blob and the headlight-switch bus blob.

Got lights! And it was obvious that I had the switch in the high beam position the first time, and the low position the second time.

So, yeah, that wire run is my problem.

Question for the assembled gurus:

Does the wire exiting from the starter switch do anything else, have any other function, than to provide juice over to the headlight switch?

I ask this because if I cut that output wire, and run my own from the starter switch over the headlight bus input, I don't want to disrupt, disable, anything else that starter output wire was providing juice for.

Thanks.

Question for the assembled gurus:

Does the wire exiting from the starter switch do anything else, have any other function, than to provide juice over to the headlight switch?

I ask this because if I cut that output wire, and run my own from the starter switch over the headlight bus input, I don't want to disrupt, disable, anything else that starter output wire was providing juice for.

Thanks.
according to the wiring diagram on page 2, it goes straight over to the dimmer switch on the left handle bar and is the power source for low or high beam depending on the switch position.

lets go look at the wiring diagram.....
Ya know, I just did, after I posted that.

Looking at the PDF one you annotated, the red line of the yellow/white wire from the starter button changes wire color along the way, to violet, makes its way down the page. At the connector block just above the dimmer switch, that wire changes back to yellow/white, and enters the right side of the dimmer switch.

It looks to me as if it doesn't connect with anything at all, on its way down the page. So if I'm reading this correctly, I would just be substituting my wire for the stock wire (okay, minus a couple of connectors), and the stock wire would just be sitting there, with no input voltage.

Correct?

BTW on you multi-meter puzzle. To your multi-meter any of the connections on the dimmer switch would look like a ground. From there the wires have a direct path through the fuse and head light bulb to ground.

Ya know, between owning a new '07 Exec for five years, and now an '08 Exec for five years, I've removed large chunks of the scoots before:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design

It's just such a freakin pain, and, you know, I'm getting too old for this, um, stuff.

Anyone suppose the connector in question is one of those two way up front?

If I did remove large swaths of tupperware, I suppose I could change the battery on my Mo-Door, which I've never done (and it's been in there four years, I think).

Can't make up your mind for you, only know what I'd do......start speaking in tongues as I removed the tupperware (hit mikey up if you run out)....but that's just my OCD. Blame my Dad...he always said if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time. YMMV :whistle:

I assume those were an extra set of test leads?
You know how Harbor Freight gives away flash lights and suchlike, with coupon and any purchase, that sort of thing?

Well, let's see, back around 2014, 2015, HF often had a coupon: free multimeter (I think the list price of those was $7 or $8) with, I forget, something like $5 or maybe $10 purchase.

There's a HF about three miles from me, on a road often traveled, and so, armed with a coupon every month or so, I'd buy this and that there ... and I accumulated about 30 of those multimeters. I sort of remember the years, because I was thinking of hosting a Victory wrenching party -- I owned the Vic from 2012 - 2017 -- and was thinking about giving each attendee a multimeter, as a sort of party favor. (For reasons that escape me now, I never did host one of those, but I attended a couple. They're where some experienced person would show you the best way to change your oil, or adjust the belt, and so forth.)

So, a few minutes ago, I cracked open a brand new package of a multimeter, and took out its leads. I dunno whether that constitutes an "extra set" or not.

As it turns out, a 14-year-old boy lives next door to us. He's a regular Mr. Wizard, and does a tremendous amount of experimenting with batteries, solar cells, etc. A few times each year he manages to fry the most recent multimeter I've given him, so he just comes into the garage and I give him a new one. He does some yard work for us, so it's an easy deal.

That's the story of the leads.

Can't make up your mind for you, only know what I'd do......start speaking in tongues as I removed the tupperware (hit mikey up if you run out)....but that's just my OCD. Blame my Dad...he always said if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time. YMMV :whistle:
"Do it right, or don't do it at all" is one of my mantras. Well, it had been, until I needed a new hip (but I got that taken care of, last year), and some new knees wouldn't hurt, and maybe another hip, and ...

black connector in the center has what appears to be an orange wire coming in on the right going to an orange w/red tracer on the left and a yellow wire on the right going to a yellow w/white tracer on the left. :unsure:
I thought I was looking for a wire that is yellow-w/white at the starter button, which changes to violet yellow at the first connector, and changes back from violet yellow to yellow-w/white at the connector just above the dimmer switch ...

(Those strike-throughs were because I mistook a V for a Y, twice. I told you this work needs good eyes.)

I thought I was looking for a wire that is yellow-w/white at the starter button, which changes to violet yellow at the first connector, and changes back from violet yellow to yellow-w/white at the connector just above the dimmer switch ...

(Those strike-throughs were because I mistook a V for a Y, twice. I told you this work needs good eyes.)
nope...it's yellow between the connector connectors. yellow w/white from start switch to connector, yellow from there to the dimmer switch connector, then yellow w/white to the dimmer switch. The Y at the dimmer switch connector may look like a V in my 'red line' version, but it's a Y. Sorry about that....

Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering Pattern

Rectangle Product Font Material property Parallel

Right, I got that. I was confused by your mention of orange.

Here are two more pics. The black connector looks like it has a Y/W wire on one side, and a Y on the other.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive super charger part

So that may be one connector. I wonder where the other one is ...

Bill, in that bundle of connectors is a BLACK plug that the Right hand switch wires go to and a YELLOW plug that the Left hand switch goes to.

The Right side Yellow/White wire goes to the Yellow wire on the BLACK connector and it loops down in the main bundle and comes back to the YELLOW connector and mates back to the Yellow/White wire. FUNKY. These are from my 2008 Non-exec.

Hand Finger Electrical wiring Thumb Cable
Right hand side connector. Wire ties show the wires in question.

Hand Finger Electrical wiring Gas Engineering
Left hand side connector. Again the wire ties show the wires.

Reactions: JRoss
Those connectors are simi protected but not 100% so they can get corrosion. If you pop them open and test you will know. If I were to cut and replace I'd do it with a short wire at the two connectors....

Reactions: wspollack
Bill, in that bundle of connectors is a BLACK plug that the Right hand switch wires go to and a YELLOW plug that the Left hand switch goes to.

The Right side Yellow/White wire goes to the Yellow wire on the BLACK connector and it loops down in the main bundle and comes back to the YELLOW connector and mates back to the Yellow/White wire. FUNKY. These are from my 2008 Non-exec.

View attachment 95640 Right hand side connector. Wire ties show the wires in question.

View attachment 95642 Left hand side connector. Again the wire ties show the wires.
That yellow plug is the one partially hidden behind the white plug in my pics? All right there in the same area?

Looks like I have some front tupperware removal in my future, the next day or two or three. Groan.

View attachment 95640 Right hand side connector. Wire ties show the wires in question.

View attachment 95642 Left hand side connector. Again the wire ties show the wires.
Did you just put those cable ties on for me?! You happen to have an ‘08 bike partially disassembled in the garage?

Thanks!

That is my GOLD 2008 that I crashed in 2015.

I also have an engine module and a few parts from my first 2003 in the same garage.

Yes I just went out and snapped the pic's as Its all uncovered anyway.

Reactions: wspollack and JRoss
41 - 60 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.