Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night riding home from a group ride on some dark dark back roads my headlights just suddenly started blinking on and off about 8 times then eventually just shut off. I was a considerable distance from home or even getting back to a well lite highway so I got a room and stayed. However today riding home still no lights at all. Bike starts and runs fine and all other lights are working normally - and the running lights in the headlight housing are still working. All running lights, turn signals and brake lights are working fine. High beam switch and flash to pass are dead.

I unhooked the battery for about 10 minutes but it didn't help any.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
did you check the fuse?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you check the fuse?
Yes and it was ok. Also when I pulled it all the parking lights died to.
I dropped it off about an hour at the Suzuki dealer near me. My work schedule is dogging me so I am going to let them ponder this mystery ;)

Here is the fun little section of the road we did yesterday. It was just me and the cows last night in the dark LOL.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0vyGmrU4HU

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you check the fuse?
One odd thing, so the other fuse marked for exterior lighting I found had no affect on anything, but its not blown. I had to watch Micbergsma's video last night on my phone as I didn't even know here the fuse box was hahaha

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
First thing I'd suspect is the start button on the right switch assembly. Mine is getting a little flaky lately and I have to check to make sure my lights are on every time I start. In any case, it should be relatively easy to walk through the circuit and find the point of failure.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Last night riding home from a group ride on some dark dark back roads my headlights just suddenly started blinking on and off about 8 times then eventually just shut off. I was a considerable distance from home or even getting back to a well lite highway so I got a room and stayed. However today riding home still no lights at all. Bike starts and runs fine and all other lights are working normally - and the running lights in the headlight housing are still working. All running lights, turn signals and brake lights are working fine. High beam switch and flash to pass are dead.

I unhooked the battery for about 10 minutes but it didn't help any.
Same thing happened to me...it's very scary. It likely could be a short in your starter assembly or it just may need cleaning the contacts.

I first watched Mic's video...I watch it again and again....Probably 10 times before I gained the confidence to do it myself....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKVij4gQq6c

It seemed pretty straight foward....until you have to deal with all those little parts. Taking it apart was easy....it's putting it all back in its place that was the challenge. Mic made it look easy...it wasn't that easy for me, but, I stuck to it and everything went back in place.

I also notice some bare exposed wire in the starter assembly which I suspect was the cause of my lights going out, which I used electical tape to cure.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well you all are correct it is the starter button assembly and the dealer will have one tomorrow. It's going to $138.95 in total, 105 for the switch assembly. He said it would only take them about 15 minutes to put it on so I should be able to pick it up tomorrow before 5pm. I am going to ask him to put the old one under the seat so I can clean it up using the videos instructions and have a spare. According them to this is a problem on both Burgman models and other Suzuki bikes.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's not charging hardly any labor, I don't let them do it at this point it will cost me 70 bucks for diagnostics which they waved cause they are fixing it. I'll let them do it and clean the old one so I have a spare I can carry under the seat.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
If it happens again, pull the yellow flash to pass button on the left grip. If the lights come on that tells you the problem is in the starter button.

You can sometimes get the button to work by just spraying WD40 or a similar product into the switch and working it a little. That can get you home in a pinch. A more permanent fix would be to take the switch apart and clean and lube it properly.

You could just ride it home with the flash to pass button pulled in but that lights both filaments in the headlights and would create a lot of heat. I would not do it for more than a few miles.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
According to the wiring diagrams (which is for the side by side hi/lo configuration) the switch comes before the hi beam switch and the flash to pass switch so neither would function if the start switch was open. I don't know if the wiring's different for the US style design with both sides operating together.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I managed to go outside and run my bike, the flash to pass is not function when the starter button is pressed.
By the way! anyone use the starter button to flash the headlight? i used to do it and it appears to be more effective than the high beam flashing especially when you're trying to pass someone and you're in the blind spot of his mirrors, the flashing low beam on the street will take his attention immediately.
YES, i know the starter motor will engage when braking and i'm aware of that.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hussein, yes I've done that too it works good.
burgman30102 if you would've just waited 1½ hours before you took your scooter to the dealer the information Chatman gave you at 11:14 AM could've saved you over $100. ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hussein, yes I've done that too it works good.
burgman30102 if you would've just waited 1½ hours before you took your scooter to the dealer the information Chatman gave you at 11:14 AM could've saved you over $100. ;)
Maybe but more likely knowing me I would just have a broken switch I couldn't put back together. I am not so good or patient with tiny little things like that.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Well like you said " I can clean it up using the videos instructions and have a spare" you're more likely to have good luck cleaning it when it's not a must have. At least that's the way my luck runs. ;)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I, for one, could hear hundreds of forum members crying out "Starter button" as they read the topic headline.
Model 28a I am glad you're happy with the final result. However, let this be a lesson to everyone about some/many dealers. They will take advantage of a customers lack of knowledge in order to make a few extra bucks.

If we all knew it was the "Starter Button" chances are they knew it too. Why did they charge $70 for diagnostics? How much time did they spend diagnosing it and what did they do to diagnose it? About as much time as we did?
Why didn't they take a half hour and just clean it? Why order a new part? Was that really nessasary? I don't think so.

Reactions: E.D.

·
Registered
255 Posts
As a Burgman rider I have to admit putting my hand up to questioning the idea that the engine starter button was a probable a cause for the lights going out while riding. :(

I will have to get the wiring diagram out when I get home after work and try to understand how the starter circuit interacts with the headlights especially as the starter button will be a normally open switch (NO)..............or is that the cause, the contact vibrates closed especially if the return spring is past its best and activates the headlight cut-off for engine starting.....or is it double contact switch, one pair of contacts NO and the other contacts NC ??? :dontknow:

I still would not have thought of that if it happened to me in the dark while riding home, so well done to the group. :notworthy:

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
....or is it double contact switch, one pair of contacts NO and the other contacts NC ???
I believe that this description is correct, with
a 'break-before-make' moment in the cycle.
If the parts get a bit gummy, they may get
stuck in the midst of that cycle, so now the
engine is running, but the parts of the switch
have not gone back to where the contacts
can turn on the lights.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts