Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been doing my searching on this place and am now more nervous than before.
This morning I turned the key on my 2006 400. The headlight flashed on and flashed off right away. I hadn't even touched the starter and it went out. I thought all I would have to do is do a simple search here and find out how to dismantle the headlight housing, install a new one (I think I may go with the Luminics Ultra White 5150K), and close it up. Then I started reading and that was my mistake.
Could it be a fuse?
Could it be power to the headlight? :eek:
Could it be a relay? :eek:
Could it be something else? :eek: :eek:
I am no mechanic or electrician, and I don't play one on TV. I have a volt meter that was given to me, but I don't know how to use it. :roll:
Where should I start looking? What is the recommended process of elimination?
By the way, the high beams worked just fine, but I don't like riding in traffic with the high beams on because I don't like it when others do it. The scoot ran just fine.

HELP!
Thanks,

·
Registered
71 Posts
The first thing I would suspect is the bulb. Attend to the simplest possibility first.

(FWIW...don't touch the bulb glass with your bare fingers or wipe the glass with alcohol afterward if you do. The salts in your skin oil will shorten the life of the glass.)

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
When it happened on mine, the other headlight followed a shortly after.

Two new bulbs, and all has been well since.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
First thing to do would be to reach up over the front fender and find the plug on the back of one of the headlights. Unplug it then use that volt meter to test the wires in the plug to see if you have voltage going to them. You do that by putting the switch on the volt meter to the position that reads voltage in the 12v range. Turn on the key to the bike. Then touch the black lead from the meter to the terminal on the plug that aligns with a black wire with a white stripe on it. Touch the red lead from the meter to the other two wires one at a time. On one of them you should get a voltage reading. If you so then you have burned out bulbs and replacing them will solve your problem. If you don't then you have other problems that will have to be researched.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I know what I'm going to be doing this evening. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge here. I'll update you to the results as soon as I have them.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I had the problem of my majesty blowing bulbs like popcorn. The dealer wanted nearly one hundred dollars labor to take off the tupperware to replace the bulb.
There were a considerable number of posts on the Majesty website on how to replace the bulb from the rear up through the wheelwell. I printed some of that out & found a shop that would do it for twenty dollars.
The last time I used a different shop & the bulbs were yellow instead of the regular bulbs. I don't know how that made a difference but it has been over a year & both bulbs are doing fine.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
You will find that sitting on a milk-crate or a bucket in front of the headlights
will make the procedure just explained to you by Buffalo, much easier.
While sitting there, also look closely at the reflector, especially the area
around the base of the bulb....you will notice a square opening off to the side.
That is a hook....some of the molded plastic that the reflector is made of.
There is a retainer wire that is behind the base of the lightbulb, & it hooks
under that plastic hook...be careful...the retainer wire slips under the lip
of the plastic hook. By looking through the headlight lens at the headlight
bulb, you will be able to judge more easily what your fingers are doing.
After unplugging the electrical wires, you will be able to feel a rubber 'boot'
that covers the back of the headlight...you will feel 2 'flaps' around the edge
of the rubber boot, opposite each other....use one of those flaps to gently peal
the boot off of the light housing....now you will be able to feel the lightbulb
retainer wire.
After replacing the bulb, just reverse your steps, & you're done. :thumbup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE #1: I really want to thank all of you, especially Buffalo and Duster. Blindly, I fiddled behind the headlights to unplug one at a time. The printout from this forum was sitting next to me the entire time.
[attachment=4:2zm815pp]DSC_0396 25%.jpg[/attachment:2zm815pp]

I then, for the first time, tried out my multimeter. It didn't have a "12V" setting, but I read the minimal directions that came with it and figured it out.
[attachment=3:2zm815pp]DSC_0393 25%.jpg[/attachment:2zm815pp]

I easily found the boot under there, but I didn't expect it to be so large with the tabs/flaps so far away from the center.
[attachment=2:2zm815pp]DSC_0399 25%.jpg[/attachment:2zm815pp]

I found both of the headlights are a F516.L Phillips. Now as I am typing this I see the one I have on my desk is an HS1. I could have sworn the other one that I returned to the scoot was an H4.
[attachment=1:2zm815pp]DSC_0407 25%.jpg[/attachment:2zm815pp]

Until I get both lights purchased I'll be riding like this.
[attachment=0:2zm815pp]DSC_0405 25%.jpg[/attachment:2zm815pp]

Again, I want to thank y'all. I couldn't have done it without the step-by-step directions. I'll be purchasing the new lights and installing them ASAP.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Glad you got it figured out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts