Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive installed one on my 400 and i like it, but the overall reaction by others is that it is annoying as h___.[must be doing its job ...they noticed it] if im riding with others i always ask if they want me to turn it off. what are some of you riders thoughts? i feel anything that helps us be noticed is good eyes5002

·
Registered
26 Posts
Modulators

I have had one for a couple of months now. It certainly gives rise to questions from cagers when stopping alongside at traffic lights. I even had the police stop me, the constable thought I might have had a wiring fault, when I explained to him that it was by design, and there was nothing wrong, he went away quite happy. I did of course point out to him that it was legal in Canada and the US.

I have my high beams modulated, and on the wide open road will switch to the unmodulated low beams, but in the city for my commute (Ottawa) I leave it on all the time.

So the end reuslt is that it does make you more noticeable, the intended result, and also your bulbs will last much longer as they only switch to a maximum of 70% power. With my more expensive whiter brighter Silverstars that is another distinct advantage.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: Modulators

AndyL said:
Silverstars that is another distinct advantage.
Andy,
Where did you get the Silverstars from in Ottawa?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Modulators

AndyL said:
...your bulbs will last much longer as they only switch to a maximum of 70% power.
I don't know about that last part. The continual heating-cooling/expansion- contraction cycles may cause the filament(s) to break sooner, even at 70%.

Please keep us posted, as I'm curious.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Silverstars

I got the Silverstars from Canadian Tire, they don't normally stock the base (H4?) in Ottawa, but I happened to be at the brand new largest CT in the coounrty in Kingston a month back (to get an MRI on my neck) and they had them on the racks there so could not resist!.

I am sure any CT can get them for you as they have all the ones for cars regularly in stock. They were if I recollect correctly around $27 each,

Have not had them long enough to check on life. Has anyone had to replace their regulars yet, and if so at what mileage, as they are on all the time as day-time drivings lights?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I LOVE my kriss headlight modulator. I knew some of the issues before installing. You just switch it off when u don’t want it on, so it can’t hurt to have it.

I switch it off when at a long red lights, when following the same car for some time and sometimes on the interstate (when following the same traffic., and when behind a cop as I just don't want them to hassle with me.)

I keep a copy of the statute with me in case I am pulled over for it.

Yes, I’ve had a few cars flash me back, mostly at lights or intersections, and have had a bunch of folks in front of me slow down as they thought I was a cop.

You clearly are noticed as cars tend to take a second to determine just what you are and it is much better them doing this then pulling out in front of you.

I highly recommend it.

BTW, I rode in front of my bike with it on, and IT IS bright. For group rides it is definitely turned off.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I like the idea of a headlight modulator but I worry about that nut on the cell phone thinking about making a turn in front of me ,
sees the the light blinking (a universal go-a-head sign) and ---well you get it.
Like I said I like the idea, but If you have them just be a extra careful your not sending the wrong signal . :roll:

·
Registered
368 Posts
At 4 flashes per second, it's doubtful to confuse it this way, in my opinion. My experience has been just the opposite.

People in front facing me tend to freeze; people I’m behind may try to slow down as they think I’m an emergency vehicle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice thread and I agree it makes you more noticable. So how come more riders don't have them?

A second thought... how about the tail light modulators? Anyone got those?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
modulators

Steve 771 I have both the headlight modulator and the brake light flasher and like them both. I carry the statute also and have been stopped by people and the police who didnt know the law about them.. I use common sense with the use of it as csachs1 does , but one thing for sure is everyone does notice you and thats the point..........I've been driving for 36 years cars and semi's and I've never heard of the 'flash your light as a universal go ahead signal ?' so I guess I would never confuse the flashing as such but I would be cautious. I feel safer if only percieved. Just my 2 cents worth. eyes5002

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info eyes, did you do a self installation and if so, was it fairly easy?

In general, when driving during the daytime, I see cars with headlights on much quicker than those without. (my 1995 S-10 had headlights on all the time, but it seems that trend has fallen off and I don't know why?).

Being more specific, I'm a retired police officer and besides the overhead blue and red lights, in the last couple changeover cycles, we had installed "wig-wags" (which are basically a flasher that alternates your highbeam headlights). All the guys were in agreement, the first light drivers picked up was the white flashers, not the red/blues. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
modulators

Steve 771, Both the units were fairly simple install, Headlights didnt even require any plastic removal , I just reached up in back of the light and plugged in the unit and tie strapped the control . The brake light flasher I did take off the rear end cover but splicing in the wires is straight forward. Instructions were clear with both units. I bought the Kisan units. I am thinking of putting the signal cancelling unit on but havent bit the bullet yet....I keep thinking I'm going to train myself to shut them off....some rides I do great and [email protected]#$$% safe riding eyes5002

·
Registered
319 Posts
The High Bean "modulates" meaning it goes from a high intensity to a low, but never goes completely off and on as that would be "flashing" and illegal. Have had one on my Wing and other cycles, as the saying goes: See and be Seen. Always carry the FED DOT regulation and the states equipment laws (available on the AMA web site) with for any unknowing LEO. Have been stopped several times, but have explained the operation and offered to let them read the regulations. There are a minimum of modulations per minute and it's well over four as mentioned above. It's the next thing I'll be puting one the Burger.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just thought of another question... the burgman has twin headlights, right? So do you have to install two of these to modulate both? :scratch:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Nope. They have a specific kit for different models of bikes.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
BUT, just think of the effect you would get with one kits on each light. :shock:
Only thing missing would be a siren. :lol:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
And the peace officer arresting you for impersonating a police officer! :lol:

The Wyldman

1 - 18 of 18 Posts