Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:oops: I need to know the aftermarket headlight bulbs everyone is recommending to use in place of the oem blub. I can't seem to find the answer for the 650. :?:
Frank

·
Registered
449 Posts
The H4 models are a direct replacement. Tangs all line up perfectly. It took me 40 minutes to remove the tupperware and replace the bulbs, then button everything back up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
headlight bulbs 650

:shock: OK now lets see! I should ask for "Sylvania Silver Star" model
H-4
I assume any good local auto supply. Should that do it??
Frank

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
AutoZone

AutoZone has them for $19.99 each. I haven't checked Walmart. If they carry them I would imagine they would be slightly less expensive. I run these in my AN650. Makes a big difference as far as I am concerned. I give them a thumbs up.

PS: With a little patience you can install the lamps without removing Tupperware. If you are good at doing things by feel.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Soundman said:
It took me 40 minutes to remove the tupperware .
As there have been several explanations given on how to replace the 650 headlight bulbs, could you specify what tupperware you actually took off.
Thanks.
Also, as you said, any H4 bulb will work and are readily available at most auto part stores;
I bought a set of Hella bulbs ($10/Bulb) just to have as spares.
GinDrinker
:D

·
Registered
611 Posts
I didn't remove any tupperware to replace the headlight bulbs on my 03 650, or on my wife's 04 400. I just reached in from the front wheel well area... On my wife's 400 I had to flatten the tangs on the bulb holder before it would sit flat.

note: Don't touch the glass part of the bulbs with your hands. Getting even a little bit of body oil from your hand on them will make any halogen bulb burn out sooner...

·
Registered
610 Posts
I just did mine. I removed the tupperware. Took around one hour. I had problems with the spring that holds the light blub in place. Silly me I used a screw driver to loosen the screw holding the spring. I wouldn't reccomend doing that. I thought it might make the job easier. Check in the HOW To section. There's a good thread with pictures to help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
OK all you "reach around" H4 installers - has anyone done the no Tupper ware removal technique on a '05 650? There's an additional splash guard at the lower triple clamp now that blocks the direct access route!
I know because I compared it to a fellow riders '03 and his was a clear shot to the back of the lamp housings - mine not BUMMER!!! :?

·
Registered
449 Posts
GinDrinker said:
Soundman said:
It took me 40 minutes to remove the tupperware .
As there have been several explanations given on how to replace the 650 headlight bulbs, could you specify what tupperware you actually took off.
Thanks.
:D
I just followed the directions in this book that came with my scooter. I think it's called the manual. So the plastic over the handlebars and the dash below the handlebars came off. I think it was 4 screws and 4 plastic rivets in all.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
jonniedee wrote:

OK all you "reach around" H4 installers - has anyone done the no Tupper ware removal technique on a '05 650?
I just changed the bulbs on Sting to the Silverstar H4-ST without removing the shield. The right bult is easier to reach than the left but both can be done with the shield on. The shield is also easy to take off, 2 bolts about 20 seconds. I took it off to adjust the aim of the lights. It gives much more access room to the back of the lights. If I change the bulbs again I will probably take the shield off.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks Buffalo - I thought it looked like just the 2 bolts. With my luck there is usually about 10 more hidden attchmentment points when anything looks that easy! :?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Soundman said:
I just followed the directions in this book that came with my scooter. I think it's called the manual.
Very clever, however on page 70 of my 650 K4 owners manual:

"Headlight Bulb Replacement"... there is no mention of what tupperware to
remove. I guess your book must be different?!
GinDrinker

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello group can someone send me the link to putting in a new headlight Bulbs for my 2003 burgman 650 also has anyone tryed out the new blue headlight on a burgman yet was told you will see much better :bigsmurf:

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I'm not sure if there is a thread with detailed instructions. The first time I did mine I reached up above the wheel but I was new to the scoots and afraid of removing tupperware. If I were to to it today I would remove the top of the dash. It only takes a couple minutes to do. Once you have it off you can see the back of the lights and it is fairly obvious how to get the bulbs out. Just unplug the wire, pull the rubber boot off, release the spring clip and extract the sockets from the housing.

If you've never taken the top of the dash off check LeDudes Burgman center for detailed instructions on how to do that. click on this link

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Once you done it pulling the top box off is trivial. Four plastic fasteners on the bar covers and EIGHT screws (six black ones on the sides and the two big chrome ones near the instrument cluster) I can get it off and back on in under 5 minutes. Did that the other day in a store parking lot when I realized I forgot to hook the headlights back up when I had it apart. DOH! :oops: Easiest tupperware on the whole bike. Why struggle to reach under and up when removal is that easy and gives you all the access you could want. Bet I could do it in 2-3 if there was some kind of competition like they used to have for pulling and reinstalling a VW engine. They used to do that in like 90 secs. :D

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON-HI ... ccessories

look for these, theres many sellers with these on ebay
They are much cheaper than the silverstars and I find them whiter and brighter than the silverstars
and it doesn't matter what other car models or bike models they stick in the name
As long as it says H4 its fine
theyre all the same H4 bulbs

·
Administrator
18,717 Posts
Another overlooked bulb is the 9003 bulbs. The H4 is a late 60's to 70's technology bulb and the 9003 is 90's tech. Same mouting tabs and fit. The 9003's are built to a higher standard. There are car rated H4's and then the motorcycle rated ones too. A motorcycle bulb has stronger filimets for the harsher ride and vibration of bikes.I belive all Silver Stars are Car rated. In my case, my car rated Silver Stars H4's lasted about 4000 miles then one burn out. I replaced it with a 9003 and then the other one went out at 5000 miles.

My lesson was to replace them as a pair (AN650) even if one burns out and the other one does not. Sure, taking the top cover and bar covers off is easy but to do so in as little as 1000 miles is not worth the time, do both bulbs at the same time and keep the good one as a spare. DaveJ

1 - 20 of 57 Posts