Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Use a standard H4 Bulb in the light instead of the expensive OEM bulb..
The modification is simle, and obvious if you compare the 2 bulbs.
Look at the bottom of the mounting plate.. You will see 2 tiny metal tabs
about 1/4 inch apart. Note that the H4 bulb 's are a bit closer together.
The bulb will not fit properly, because the tab is too wide to fit.
All I did was to flatten them both with a pair of pliers, and everything worked fine. The wire clip can be a bit of a bear to fasten till you do it once, then you
figure out how to fix it in place in a second.
2. Standard bulbs are anemic 35-watt low/high beams. Go to your store
od choice, (EBAY!!!) and pick up a set of 65/45 watt bulbs. I put a set of
80/100watt blue bulbs in, and after changing fuses to 15A, all works well..
No melted lenses or reflectors, no smoking coming from the fairind, and no dead battery. I did notice that the bulbs still get a bit brighter when you rev
up the engine, so the charging system still can handle things..
3. As with any modification, do this at your own risk. I feel that the 65/45
watt bulbs probably would be a bit safer, but the light output of the 80/100
really has to be seen to be believed!!!
Ride safe, and watch where you're going!
Scoot on

Bill Seward
(Wife owns the Burgie, I've got a 2002 Roadstar, and an '85 VMax)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I'm curious to ask, Did you blow one of the original lights or did you just want to upgrade to brighter lights? If you just wanted to upgrade to brighter , why was that? Were the stock lights not suitable for your area, or just a preference? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Headlight change

I wanted brighter lights, as we live in a rural area, mostly without street
lighting..

·
Registered
55 Posts
The original bulbs only seem to have a lifetime of 2 weeks to 2 months anyway, so it was only a matter of time before they had to be changed.

I don't think the 80/100 bulbs are legal for street use.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OOPS! But I'd rather be safe than worry about a ticket for some obscure
DOT rule!

Scoot On!
By the way, we named Kathy's Burgie "SCOOTZILLA"!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Fuses??

Using a H4 35/35, 65/45 or 60/40 as a replacement, do you have to change the fuse to a different AMP rating? What about the higher rated bulbs, or the blue tint bulbs? :?:

·
Registered
428 Posts
daveman said:
The original bulbs only seem to have a lifetime of 2 weeks to 2 months anyway, so it was only a matter of time before they had to be changed.

7 months and 5,000 miles later mine are fine.

Peace.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes sir. It's all high beams, all the time with me. Except with oncoming traffic of course. I find the low beams rather anemic and have thought about going to a H4 65/50 or somesuch to throw a bit more fire power on the road. I live off the 1 near Big Sur - no street lights, twisty, and multi-hundred feet drops. I know it like the back of my hand, but rocks and critters and such could ruin a fellas whole day.

Peace.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bleeder said:
Yes sir. It's all high beams, all the time with me. Except with oncoming traffic of course. I find the low beams rather anemic and have thought about going to a H4 65/50 or somesuch to throw a bit more fire power on the road. I live off the 1 near Big Sur - no street lights, twisty, and multi-hundred feet drops. I know it like the back of my hand, but rocks and critters and such could ruin a fellas whole day.
Interesting. Might be that the problem some 400s are having is NOT related to running high beams... I lived out that way for a little while in the late 60s (Pacific Grove). Pretty country. Didn't have a bike then, but I did have a brand new 1969 BMW 2002 sports sedan, which was kind of fun on those roads.

·
Registered
428 Posts
In '69 I was 9 y.o., but I bet Borg's Hotel was there then, by the point, no? Those little boxy 2002's were pretty cool.

Peace.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bleeder said:
In '69 I was 9 y.o., but I bet Borg's Hotel was there then, by the point, no? Those little boxy 2002's were pretty cool.
I don't remember Borg's Hotel, but I do remember fisherman's wharf, Sunday wine tasting excursions, Carmel Valley, trips to San Francisco and L.A. - I had fun there.

The BMW was courtesy of an Air force re-enlistment bonus. There was a small dealer in Monterey, Fred Snook BMW - not sure of last name spelling. Anyway, Fred was an ex-fighter pilot. He told me that he could beat Porches with a BMW 2002. I laughed. He invited me to go for a ride. :twisted: I foolishly accepted. Oh my gosh! When he finally pulled over and asked me if I wanted to drive I was shaking so much I didn't know if I could. But I knew darn well that I didn't want to ride back with HIM behind the wheel!
That was one test drive I will NEVER forget!

·
Registered
428 Posts
LOL!!!
Reminds me of being invited in high school by a girl friends dad to fly with him. A 2 seater painted like the American flag with struts and braces all over. I was amazed he could still fly all those stunts with my hands around his neck. :shock:

Peace.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts