Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line on a local 2005 Sportster 1200. Low miles, clean. Price reasonable. Being local is a +.

I had a '79 big Twin about 20 years ago. Swore off HD when I sold that sorry thing.

But HD improved the Sportsters in 2004 significantly. Including rubber mounts.

Now I know all of the ++++ of my Burgman 400, but I miss the lumpy Single-pin twin feel. The 1200 should have adequate power (compared to the 883). Yes I believe it uses premium gas :frown

Any of you have Sportster experience?

As usual, all opinions welcomed :grin

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
The only "Harley" type bike I've been on since the 80's was a 2006 Buell Firebolt XB12R.

But a few friends have Sportie 1200's and nothing but good words from them, unless they are talking about my Burgman.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looked at a local Sporty 1200, nice bike, 2005, met a guy that is selling his Buell XB12, Hmmmm single pin crank :grin Buells go and stop better too. Reasonably priced. Although wouldn't look good with the requisite ammo cans bolted on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is my second 1200 Sportster, a 2015 XL1200C, I bought it about three weeks ago, traded-in my 2013 Burgman 650 on it. This is my second 1200 Sportster, the first being a 2004 XL1200R Roadster. The 2015 has forward foot controls, which I hate, and will soon be changing them to 'mids', and it will also get rear shocks with some decent travel, not the ridiculous, back-breaking, 2.1 inches of the stock units.

Other than those two items, the bike will remain stock, including the exhaust system.

I like the softened 'rawness' of the post-2004 1200 Sportsters, dislike the heavy vibration of the years previous to that.

It's a very good motorcycle, which will surprise many. It has very good brakes, handles surprisingly well on our curvy, hilly area, and although no rocket ship, has reasonably good power and is fun to 'push' a bit on the backroads (no jokes, please). It's build-quality and finish is superb. The Sportster is a true classic motorcycle, and has been in continuous production since 1957. Mine is a pampered plaything, and only ridden for pleasure, as is my Guzzi V7III and Triumph Thruxton R.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Well, I cut my (motorcycle) teeth on a Sportster frame in the late 60's. My uncle was one of the local master HD shops. He put a KR750 dirt engine in a 883 frame and that was his loaner bike so at 14 years old I got a lot of hours riding that Torque monster.
Forward to the 1990's and I had a few Sporties, one was a FIRE breathing 1200cc that ran on 20% Nitromethane and the front wheel was off the ground for about 660 feet of the 1/4 mile. But these were OLD school 1935 Farm tractor tech bikes.
Then in 2006 I rented a Buell XB12R for a 4 day week end. In the first day I was pulled over and given that 20 minuet chat from a local LEO. Day two I was given that 'Shaking finger' from another LEO that could not pull me over as he was busy but he wanted to let me know I was outside the bounds of speed by a bunch. Day three was quiet, nothing to report. But day 4 was costly. At around 9 AM I got popped when I was doing over 130 MPH in a 60 zone but he could not get a good Lazer lock and was ONLY able to get me at 85 in a 60 zone. I seen the brake lights of cars ahead just in time to get on the binders and on the Buell they work VERY WELL. Then at around 2PM as I was riding to drop off the rental another LEO clocked me on the offramp at 75 in a 60 zone and with luck he was wanting to chat about the the Buell after chewing some of my grissely back side.

But a lot of my neighbors ride newer HD's. They are the typical Weekend Pirate's with loud pipes and all the costume and talk.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Put wax in your ears and have your wife bind you to your Burgman till the urge passes.

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a line on a local 2005 Sportster 1200. Low miles, clean. Price reasonable. Being local is a +.

I had a '79 big Twin about 20 years ago. Swore off HD when I sold that sorry thing.

But HD improved the Sportsters in 2004 significantly. Including rubber mounts.

Now I know all of the ++++ of my Burgman 400, but I miss the lumpy Single-pin twin feel. The 1200 should have adequate power (compared to the 883). Yes I believe it uses premium gas :frown

Any of you have Sportster experience?

As usual, all opinions welcomed :grin
I've owned quite a few Sportys over the years and enjoyed riding them for the most part. One was a 1979 1000cc Ironhead that had the worst frame ever made on any bike. It was so bad Harley only made that frame one year. It was so bad I switched it over to a hardtail frame and it was more comfortable than the stock frame:grin.

The last one I had was a late model 1200cc Custom and it was a great bike. I get a kick out of people who think Sportys are baby brothers to "real" Harleys but don't stop to think that the new 1200cc bikes (which is 74ci) is what most of the old Knucklehead, Panhead and early Shovelheads engines were and it's a much lighter bike.

As far as the gas goes I ran regular in all my bikes and never had any problems. If I could physically ride one anymore I would be all over it.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello People! Thank you for your comments.
Well I bought a 2007 Sportster 883 yesterday. Only 10,000 miles, really clean bike. WOW the fuel injection is a godsend.
This bike has plenty of pop! The Vance and Hines pipes are just right. It pulls like a tractor.
I will have to change handlebars (too short), seat (too low and shaped stupidly).
Compared to Burgman... it takes 4 qts of oil :( and uses premium gas, I think.

I kept my 2008 Burger, I'll putt around town on the HD. If I don't like it, I'll sell in a year or so.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Never rode a new fangled Sportster. But the 60's thru the mid 70's I put 10's of thousands miles on. Good luck. Kidney belt may help.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I can't help it, but "2004 they came out with Rubber mounts for the engine"
That's ahead or it's time......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts