Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was riding through my very small town and came to a stop sign HD rider came up beside me very fast at the stop sign scoff'd at the B650.

Then must have gave it full throttle down the road he did not realize or maybe he did, it was a school zone ahead and a 25mph city speed limit,

I went the speed limit and mr personality riding the HD was at the side of the road trying explain why he was going 40 mph in a 25mph to Mr. Popo.

I wanted to do an exaggerated laugh and point at the guy as I rode by, but why start any trouble he going to pist off as it was when he pulls away from the curb.

That is probable the number one reason scooters have not become a much bigger success here in the USA.

There is a certain stigma that goes with riding a scooter, personally i dont care, I am at a point in life that i do what makes me happy, and could care less of someone else's point of view.

Maybe that's the beer talking.

Another time I went to a gas station to fill up the B650, in Oregon someone has to fill your gas for you (it's the Law here) but motorcycles they push the pump buttons and let you fill it your self,

So the gas station guy comes up to me and says, hey a scooter, well i guess you wont be doing any wheelies out of here will ya.

My reply was, this is a 650cc bike, "ill make you a deal, your bike against mine, a race from one end of the parking lot to the other" his reply was,

"I dont have a bike", I said your car then against my bike, he said

"i dont have a car", I said Ok you on foot, against my bike.

He said No, I not going to race you on foot, I said then shut the H**L up with your stupid talk.

I am a easy going guy, and dont let much at all get to me, i figure why!, but just had to have some fun with this guy that was so free to give his opinion.

Some/most people have a preconceived idea that a scooter is a 50cc or maybe a 150cc bike that cannot get out of it's own way, or travel on the freeway.

I had two GL1800 6cyl Goldwings get on the freeway in front of me another time, and they were taking there time, in no hurry at all, so i got around them rather quickly, and they both had shocked looks on there faces

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I also live in a small town but in the mountains where the roads are steep and crooked. It only took a few rides with local Harley riders for the word to spread that our little Burgman 650s would outperform their Harleys and they couldn't keep up. One Harley rider bought a 650 to ride with us because his Harley couldn't keep up. He still rides his Harley but not often.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Be yourself.
To heck with everyone else.

I don't want to change gears. I know how. I just don't care to.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Listen to that sweet, smooth, 4-valve, high-compression, liquid-cooled, refined 650 engine, then listen to one of those 1940s-technology tractor engines. Case closed.

Let the dopes scoff.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's an Image thing, and being part of the HD clan.

Well I'll pass on the image thing, My B650 doesn't leak oil,

or sound like it needs a new muffler and a tune up.

But i must say i have met some very nice Harley guys too, so it is not all just some, like the guy in my town, a neighbor?

I give the two finger bikers wave, (keep two on the pavement) to Harley guy's most return it back, but some No way!!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I just smile as I pass them on the twisties on a 400.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have not had anybody give me any scoff with my Burgman{yet}. I did get it a few times on my Zuma 50cc. I would then tell them "I get 65-70MPG" and they usually shut up. All the Harley guys/gals I know are decent folk and even most I don't know give me a wave or nod.

On the other side I have had a couple of people ask me about my Burg and what it is and how fast it goes and how many MPG and what it costs. I gladly talk to them and try to convince them that they need one two. I almost have a co-worker convinced, a guy who used to ride Harleys.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I love leaving a stop sign with smooth take off, no shifting, and almost silently, I know that I got them thinking.....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Went to Roswell the other day with a buddy of mine, he owns a GL1100 and is a true morotcyclist ( run whatcaha brung makes me no difference kinda guy). When we were at coffee the next morning at the cafe he was complaining to another rider. " That dang scooter, just accelerates along and here I am shifting like no ones business and he ain't even gassing it!" So I asked him " How'd ya like my electronic cruise control for keeping steady speed?" and he says "dang thing made my hand fall asleep you were running so steady!" Man do I like my Burgman 650!!!!!!
Greg

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
When get such comment it most often come from IGNORANT MORON Hardlie rider.

Lead such idiot in to mountain and twisty and then embarass this MORON to no end, especially if have other rider also.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Met 3 of my friends (?) for lunch several weeks ago. I rode my 650 - couldn't believe the derogatory comments from them. Looks dangerous. You ride that in this traffic? Why two kickstands? How much you pay for this toy? Only one of them was a rider (2012 GW) and he wanted to know if I rode with "wannabe motorcycle riders". My skin isn't too thin, but I gotta tell ya, I got red-faced and had trouble getting through lunch with 'em. But know what? I still love this thing to death.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Unfortunately jimfrompa there's a bunch more horses rears than horses fronts I this world. A lot of folks just don't get the appeal of these bikes, I used to get a number of what the heck is that thing??? when I rode my KLR650 too.
You like the bike and that is what is important, I'm sure you don't ride just to "impress" the local idiots.

Greg

·
Registered
770 Posts
A guy I work with calls it a "moped". He does ride (old dual-sport, 2-stroke & kick start), and does it to be funny. (And I call his a "2-wheeled weedeater" for the same reason.)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a good friend who is a HD person and he does not mind riding with me, even if I am on my little 150. But recently he got sick of his 2010 breaking down so he went and got a new 2014. I asked why he did not look at anything else and his reply was, "I have over 20 Harley shirts, what would I do with them if I rode something else". I realized then, its all about the image and HD has done a really nice of cultivating it to the point where normally sane people don't think twice about buying overpriced motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have a good friend who is a HD person and he does not mind riding with me, even if I am on my little 150. But recently he got sick of his 2010 breaking down so he went and got a new 2014. I asked why he did not look at anything else and his reply was, "I have over 20 Harley shirts, what would I do with them if I rode something else". I realized then, its all about the image and HD has done a really nice of cultivating it to the point where normally sane people don't think twice about buying overpriced motorcycles.
I have a friend with a beautiful Harley Switchback and all of the Harley riding gear. He got tired of trying to keep with us on our 650s last year and added a 07 650. He rides his Burgman with all of his Harley gear and does fine. I have another friend who had a Harley with all the riding gear and got sick of it breaking down and bought a BMW R1200RT. He rides it with his Harley gear. Of course, they are old like me and don't care what anyone else thinks.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Loving those engines and style -- revvy and smooth both, 650 in particular of course, but 400 has its own merits.
Saw the HD the other day at the lights shaking like scutching-machine, thought it might be good for having an ice-milk-shake as a drink, will always stay ready for a sip.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Anyone who bad-mouths a KLR650 is REALLY showing their ignorance. I'm thinking a KLR would be a nice companion for the Lardy. Maybe a Hayabusa later too ;-)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I was riding through my very small town and came to a stop sign HD rider came up beside me very fast at the stop sign scoff'd at the B650.

Then must have gave it full throttle down the road he did not realize or maybe he did, it was a school zone ahead and a 25mph city speed limit,

I went the speed limit and mr personality riding the HD was at the side of the road trying explain why he was going 40 mph in a 25mph to Mr. Popo.

I wanted to do an exaggerated laugh and point at the guy as I rode by, but why start any trouble he going to pist off as it was when he pulls away from the curb.

That is probable the number one reason scooters have not become a much bigger success here in the USA.

There is a certain stigma that goes with riding a scooter, personally i dont care, I am at a point in life that i do what makes me happy, and could care less of someone else's point of view.

Maybe that's the beer talking.

Another time I went to a gas station to fill up the B650, in Oregon someone has to fill your gas for you (it's the Law here) but motorcycles they push the pump buttons and let you fill it your self,

So the gas station guy comes up to me and says, hey a scooter, well i guess you wont be doing any wheelies out of here will ya.

My reply was, this is a 650cc bike, "ill make you a deal, your bike against mine, a race from one end of the parking lot to the other" his reply was,

"I dont have a bike", I said your car then against my bike, he said

"i dont have a car", I said Ok you on foot, against my bike.

He said No, I not going to race you on foot, I said then shut the H**L up with your stupid talk.

I am a easy going guy, and dont let much at all get to me, i figure why!, but just had to have some fun with this guy that was so free to give his opinion.

Some/most people have a preconceived idea that a scooter is a 50cc or maybe a 150cc bike that cannot get out of it's own way, or travel on the freeway.

I had two GL1800 6cyl Goldwings get on the freeway in front of me another time, and they were taking there time, in no hurry at all, so i got around them rather quickly, and they both had shocked looks on there faces
I still don't know how anyone could feel threatened by a scooter.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I give the two finger bikers wave, (keep two on the pavement) to Harley guy's most return it back, but some No way!!
So THAT'S what that two-fingered salute means! I've been doing it for years but never realized the meaning until just now - Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts