Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen, or rode this bike. I went for a ride with my Harley friend yesterday to a Harley shop and they had one in the showroom. Kind of old school with modern ( for a Harley, lol) technology. It looked pretty mean, had me thinking. Just wondering if anyone may own one or rode one.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It is a sportster with a 1200cc engine, same one in the other sportsters. As far as I know or could find it hasn't changed for years. The thing that makes the 48 different is the classically sized front wheel{as opposed to the larger and thinner cruiser/chopper style}.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Meh. Just another cruiser to me. 2 gallon tank and probably 40 mpg. Be sure to know where the next gas station is located.

Sorry Mike33, but you're asking about a HD on a scooter site. I'm sure there are some Harley fans here somewhere, but you should really ask the guys on one of their sites.

I'm not sure, but I rather doubt anyone on a Harley site is asking about Burgmans.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It is a cool bike imho. Of course I came from what is now called cruisers way back when (they were called standard motorcycles back then). I had to stop riding them because of my hips hurting from the wind on my legs. Didn't know it at the time but it was an early sign of the onset of Rheumatoid Arthritis for me.

Go and sit on one at a dealers. If it fits you well, ask the dealer if he has one that you can take and test ride. See if it lights your fire. If it does, you may put one in your own garage.

As to the comment that a Burgman rider wouldn't want one. I don't know about that. If I was to find that tomorrow I was somehow cured of R.A. then I might have one sitting next to my Burgman. Different strokes for different folks.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
As to the comment that a Burgman rider wouldn't want one. I don't know about that. If I was to find that tomorrow I was somehow cured of R.A. then I might have one sitting next to my Burgman. Different strokes for different folks.
I value my dental work too much to ride one of those paint can shakers. Lol. :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I value my dental work too much to ride one of those paint can shakers. Lol. :D
What makes you think it will be a shaker? The information said it has balance shafts. My little V-Star 650 does not vibrate noticeably until I go faster than the speed limit on the interstate.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
What makes you think it will be a shaker? The information said it has balance shafts. My little V-Star 650 does not vibrate noticeably until I go faster than the speed limit on the interstate.
Harley HAS TO use balance shafts, otherwise it would be unridable.

It's a Harley and most likely uses a single pin crankshaft; a 110+ year old technology that gives HD that distinctive sound, but makes them inhentenly shakey. They are the only company I know of that uses this POS design because they copyrighted the engine sound; its a big selling point for HD.

Harley tries to correct the built in shakiness with counter balances, engine mounts and such, but jees, have you seen one at a stop light? The engine shakes worse than a chihuahua in Alaska on winter solstice surrounded by a pack of rabid pit bulls.

V-Star is a whole different engine, down right modern compared to Harley, with its fancy two-pin crankshaft and all. Its engine may look like a Harleys on the outside, but the two couldn't be more different in the inside.

That's one of my reasons to distain HDs; using old, antiquated technology solely for the purpose of producing a certain sound, ostensibly for the "cool" factor. How absolutely ridiculous. But people buy into it. Whatever floats their boat, but I just don't get it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
... Have you seen one at a stop light? The engine shakes worse than a chihuahua in alaska on winter solstice surrounded by a pack of rabid pit bulls.....
lol!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Harley HAS TO use balance shafts, otherwise it would be unridable.

It's a Harley and most likely uses a single pin crankshaft; a 110+ year old technology that gives HD that distinctive sound, but makes them inhentenly shakey. They are the only company I know of that uses this POS design because they copyrighted the engine sound; its a big selling point for HD.

Harley tries to correct the built in shakiness with counter balances, engine mounts and such, but jees, have you seen one at a stop light? The engine shakes worse than a chihuahua in Alaska on winter solstice surrounded by a pack of rabid pit bulls.

V-Star is a whole different engine, down right modern compared to Harley, with its fancy two-pin crankshaft and all. Its engine may look like a Harleys on the outside, but the two couldn't be more different in the inside.

That's one of my reasons to distain HDs; using old, antiquated technology solely for the purpose of producing a certain sound, ostensibly for the "cool" factor. How absolutely ridiculous. But people buy into it. Whatever floats their boat, but I just don't get it.
Come on, tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back now.

I am glad that not everyone hates them. I have owned a Sportster in the past (1971). It wasn't a bad bike at all even though it did shake a little.

Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Come on, tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back now.

I am glad that not everyone hates them. I have owned a Sportster in the past (1971). It wasn't a bad bike at all even though it did shake a little.

Doug in Kentucky
I certainly don't begrudge Harley or their owners. Hey whatever makes you happy in this world, is legal and causes me no strife, have at it. I've no issues with them making a buck (or millions) and employing thousands of Americans. Good for them!

I just don't get it. HD seems to get a pass on their extraordinarily substandard technology.

If Suzuki were to come out tomorrow and say the new burgman is going to have a single pin crankshafted, air cooled engine, with a five speed manual, that stutters like a turrets patient, vibrates off the Tupperware, and costs $25k for the privilege, we'd all be up in arms saying WTF. But the HD aficionados say its got "soul" or "tradition" and give them a pass. No, they have dodgy mechanics, period.

Sorry, just my two cents. I'm doomed to ignorance on their popularity.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I personally know of two former Harley owners who gave up on the brand.

One isn't riding anymore because his Harley is so messed up mechanically that the dealer can't get it to run. They have replaced almost everything on it and the repair bill is more than the bike is worth. He basically gave the dealer the bike because he refuses to pay for it especially since it still doesn't run right.

The other guy just bought a new Triumph Tiger and is loving it to bits. He had to give up his Harley under doctor's orders. The vibration was causing him health problems{of coarse he isn't in good shape anyway but since he got the Tiger things have improved for him}.

I too think Harley has poor engineering{their engine design was dumb back then and even worse now}. They have made a couple of half-hearted attempts at modern bikes, the V-rod and now the new small bikes{street 500 and 750}. But they refuse to step into the 21st century.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
But they refuse to step into the 21st century.
Given how well their bikes seem to sell I don't see that they have a whole lot of incentive to change what they are doing. When the bikes quit selling they will change the design.

·
Registered
375 Posts
One podcast made the case that a lot of HD riders are looking towards the U.S.'s past; that time when gas was $0.25 a gallon and everything was coming up roses. You don't see the obsession with old motorcycles in the rest of the world because they're looking towards the future.

I don't know if that's the case. I'd rather have more Harley riders out there with us, as opposed to the car drivers who want us off the road so they can text in peace.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
One podcast made the case that a lot of HD riders are looking towards the U.S.'s past; that time when gas was $0.25 a gallon and everything was coming up roses. You don't see the obsession with old motorcycles in the rest of the world because they're looking towards the future.
While there are certainly fewer Harleys around the world, my understanding is that they are highly sought after and expensive in other countries.

Its image, not necessarily nostalgia, I think people are after. It's the modern day equivalent of a gun-slinger, cowboy, outlaw, bad boy or what have you. It's a very sexy image and every computer programmer, accountant, or otherwise ordinary guy by weekday, can be a badas$ on the weekends or at least pretend to be.

And certainly the lady factor comes into play here as well; a lot of girls love that image. Dated a girl once that said she just loved riding on the back of a Harley (Maybe there is a use for that single pin crank after all).

And HD promotes that image to the hilt. They make owning a Harley like being in a family of sorts. Buy a harley, get some new found friends.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Single pin versus two pin

It's a Harley and most likely uses a single pin crankshaft; a 110+ year old technology that gives HD that distinctive sound, but makes them inherently shakey…

V-Star is a whole different engine, down right modern compared to Harley, with its fancy two-pin crankshaft and all.
@Liam that's very interesting. Would you mind elaborating for someone who understands enough about engines to know what a crankshaft is, but doesn't have any idea what is meant by “single pin” and “two pin”? I have a friend who mentioned he liked the idea of owning a Harley and I would like to offer that kind of technical information about what comes with the choice to own one. I have no issue with Harleys, and think if one really knows what they are getting into and still wants one, that is great. I wonder, though, how many people automatically think “cruiser” means “Harley” and desire or buy a Harley when they might have been willing to trade the HD name and sound for other advantages if they had been given more information.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I believe it is a design where both pistons connect to one pin (hence single pin) on the crankshaft. unless the cylinders are inline (side by side for a twin or horizontally opposed like a boxer) it forces the a degree of imbalance to the engine and the arrhythmic firing that produces the 'Harley sound'

·
Registered
585 Posts
I certainly don't begrudge Harley or their owners. Hey whatever makes you happy in this world, is legal and causes me no strife, have at it. I've no issues with them making a buck (or millions) and employing thousands of Americans. Good for them!

I just don't get it. HD seems to get a pass on their extraordinarily substandard technology.

If Suzuki were to come out tomorrow and say the new burgman is going to have a single pin crankshafted, air cooled engine, with a five speed manual, that stutters like a turrets patient, vibrates off the Tupperware, and costs $25k for the privilege, we'd all be up in arms saying WTF. But the HD aficionados say its got "soul" or "tradition" and give them a pass. No, they have dodgy mechanics, period.

Sorry, just my two cents. I'm doomed to ignorance on their popularity.
Seems that you're bothered more than you'd like to admit over Harleys with the way you keep going on about them. I owned Harleys for years - it was MY CHOICE! If I didn't have the bad back that prevented me from riding my now-sold 2001 Ultra Glide Ultra I'd probably still have it. Scooters aren't my first choice but when I rode a Harley I never disparaged scooters. To each their own. I suppose you are 'doomed to ignorance'.

Instead of disparaging other brands and other people's choices why not simply accept their choices and let it be. I get a little tired of posters here ragging on Harley - and other brands like BMW etc.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
That's very succinct Chatman.

It takes two turns of a crankshaft in order for a four stroke engine to complete a cycle; the most forceful of which is, of course, the power stroke. Most modern multi cylinder engines use one pin per cylinder on the crankshaft. This allows the timing of the power strokes of the various cylinders to "counteract" the others. So in a regular two cylinder engine, one will fire on one turn of the crank and the other on the second turn of the crank. The two power strokes counter act one another and along with some balance weight, makes the engine smooth and vibration free. Or close to it.

On a twin cylinder engine, like Harleys, two pistons and connecting rods share the same crankshaft pin, hence "one-pin crank". Due to this configuration, both cylinders have to share the same cycle and thus there are two power strokes on the same turn of the crank and none on the second turn. This creates a HUGE imbalance in the engine because there's nothing to counteract the power stoke. So they use counter balancers and weights and such. The end result however is an engine with a lot of unnecessary vibration.

The reason HD does it, is because it gives the engine that very distinctive sound. Honda tried to replicate it once and Harley sued them. However, not for patent infringement, the patents for a single pin crank expired bank in the 1920s or so. No, Harley sued Honda for Copyright infringement. Seems Harley got a copyright on the engine sound and HD won. So its doubtful you will see any other single pin crank shafted engine on any other bike anytime soon. Copyrights last 117 years last I checked.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Seems that you're bothered more than you'd like to admit over Harleys with the way you keep going on about them. I owned Harleys for years - it was MY CHOICE! If I didn't have the bad back that prevented me from riding my now-sold 2001 Ultra Glide Ultra I'd probably still have it. Scooters aren't my first choice but when I rode a Harley I never disparaged scooters. To each their own. I suppose you are 'doomed to ignorance'.

Instead of disparaging other brands and other people's choices why not simply accept their choices and let it be. I get a little tired of posters here ragging on Harley - and other brands like BMW etc.
Jees, you make it sound like I stole your bike. "Scooters aren't my first choice". Scooters are my first choice. Who's disparaging now?

I'm sorry you're "tired of posters ragging on Harley", but this is a message board. I'm simply expressing my opinion. No one has to follow my advice or council. Everyone is free to make up their own mind. A healthy banter or debate on a subject is a good thing.

Free exchange of information, be it good, bad or indifferent is what public boards are all about. If we all just agreed on everything and nothing bad ever said about anything, what good are these boards?

If you want to make a counter argument and let everyone know what a fantastic bike your Harley was, Great! Have at it. But to just say one shouldn't disparage anything is fruitless in a free speech society.

If you really don't like what's being said there is a simple solution; don't read them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good to know

I believe it is a design where both pistons connect to one pin (hence single pin) on the crankshaft. unless the cylinders are inline (side by side for a twin or horizontally opposed like a boxer) it forces the a degree of imbalance to the engine and the arrhythmic firing that produces the 'Harley sound'
It takes two turns of a crankshaft in order for a four stroke engine to complete a cycle; the most forceful of which is, of course, the power stroke. Most modern multi cylinder engines use one pin per cylinder on the crankshaft. This allows the timing of the power strokes of the various cylinders to "counteract" the others. So in a regular two cylinder engine, one will fire on one turn of the crank and the other on the second turn of the crank. The two power strokes counter act one another and along with some balance weight, makes the engine smooth and vibration free. Or close to it.

On a twin cylinder engine, like Harleys, two pistons and connecting rods share the same crankshaft pin, hence "one-pin crank". Due to this configuration, both cylinders have to share the same cycle and thus there are two power strokes on the same turn of the crank and none on the second turn. This creates a HUGE imbalance in the engine because there's nothing to counteract the power stoke. So they use counter balancers and weights and such. The end result however is an engine with a lot of unnecessary vibration.
Thank you @Liam and @Chatman! That is really interesting. I had once heard it explained as both cylinders of an HD engine “fire at the same time”. That didn’t make sense to me, but I now understand what the person meant, albeit stated as an oversimplification.

In reading more about it I came across this site, with diagrams illustrating single and two-pin V-twins.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts