Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. This is my first time on this forum, and I have a couple questions that maybe you could answer. First off, I am having trouble deciding whether to purchase a Silverwing or a Bergman. I definetley would purchase the 650 Berg or the 600 Wing, but which in your opinion would be better for me. I would like to take lengthy trips on it, which is more comfortable. Also, I am 6'6, 275 lbs. Would I be to tall for either one? Also, which of the two would be best for 2-up riding for long distances? I am really stuck. I personally like the appearance of the Bergman more, but if it is not a superior product, that won't make a difference. Also, where can I find info on accessories for the Bergman; such as side bags, top cases, windshields, etc? Any feedback to these questions would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the forums JD,

I was looking at both the Honda and the Burgman before making a purchase. All the reviews I found we very favoriable for the Burgman. I chose to go with the Burgman. You may find that many of the users of the forums here will also be a bit biased since we ride Burgmans. :)

For the 650, 2 companies have the most popular windshields: Givi and Clearview. Given your height, you'll probably prefer the Cleaview. Givi also makes top cases for the Burgman. I'm not aware of anyone that makes side bags specifically for the Burgman ... yet. Some riders have custom fitted sidebags.

The only issue you might have given your height, besides the windshield, is the seat. You can remove the buttrest by removing 2 screws and it will give you more room. Several riders have comments it makes the bike MUCH more comfortable. Of course, there are other options for the seat: one forum member has a kit that lifts the buttrest to make it a backrest and moves it back, others have had the seat custom covered (new leather, foam, gelpads, etc.) , and Corbin just came out with a replacement seat for the 650.

I advise reading thru the forums. There's a wealth of information here. It certainly convinced me to get the Burgman.

·
Registered
224 Posts
JD,
Wouldn't life be wonderful if all of our decisions were as troubling as deciding between two excellent bikes like the Burgman and Silverwing? I agree with Bill, you will no doubt find some very biased opinions about the Burgman here, just as you would find biased ones about the Silverwing on their web pages, but also like Bill, I tried out both, and the Burgman won. If you can, go to both the Suzuki and Honda dealership in your area and take them for a test ride. That will convince you, as it did me, that the Burgman is the better choice of the two. Better ride, better handling, more room, more comfort, just all around better. So far as iinformation about the bike, accessories, service tips, you name it, this is the best place around for anything you would want to know. So have fun with your decision!
Bruce

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Hi JD,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA! I am 6'6" and 225 lbs. I agree with everything Bill said, but I'll add a bit too. I've put 7300 miles on my Burgman 650 since last September.

When I sat on a Silverwing in the showroom, and turned the handlebars to full lock, the handlebar hit my knees. The Burgman 650 did not do that.

Everyone here who has owned both, states that the Burgman 650 is a superior machine. And the comparison tests I've read support that. It handles better. It has radial tires, it has dual front disk brakes, the engine is mounted to the frame like a motorcycle (not on the rear swingarm like other scooters). It has a much more sophisticated transmission. It is very stable in crosswinds.

You'd have pretty much the same windshield issue on either machine. I have an XXL size Clearview windscreen that knocks the wind away very well, but it also dropped my mileage by 8 mpg, and caused performance to drop off some. For the summer, I've gone back to the much smaller stock screen. That puts my helmet almost fully in the wind, so a quiet, aerodynamically stable helmet becomes important. My Shoei helmet works best for that.

Removing the adjustable butt stop will give you about 2" more legroom. There are two small set screws to remove, and the right one is extremely tight. You might ask the dealer to remove it when he sets up the machine. It made a huge difference in comfort for me.

I am an experienced rider. I've owned 17 motorcycles and 3 scooters over the years, and I still own a motorcycle. I find the Burgman 650 to be a very capable machine. I think you would be quite happy with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
berg verse silverwing

8) Hi
my wife has a silverwing and I have a berg. take it from me you will be much more comfortable on the berg and its better in just about every reguard. my wife now has buyers remorse after riding my bergman. she thought it would be to much for her being a beginner but after 400 miles on the wing she got up the nerve to ride the berg and now wants one for herself. :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I really do think that all considered, the Burgmans are the best available scooters right now. But we have to remember that competition is important. If Honda or Yamaha or Aprilia one-ups the Burgman next year, that is actually good, because it should inspire Suzuki to fire back in 2006. Good competition will only improve the breed.

If Suzuki can manage to stay on top of the heap, that's also good, because we won't lose folks to other brands for a year or so.

But my hope is that ALL these scoots will improve each year. That is what will keep the category alive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts