Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbie Burgman 400 owner I have, in the couple of months that I have owned this machine locked the keys under the seat once - and my mobile was in there too! It is frustrating and makes one feel reet stooopid. On this occasion it was not too bad as my wife was able to deliver my spare key as I was only 12 miles away - as it was I was delayed best part of an hour - but it could have been much much worse. :oops: :oops:

I see from other posts (other fora) that it is not an uncommon experience.

I have now modded my Burgman so that I can open the seat without the key, for the purpose of retrieving the key that may have been locked in there. I think this is much safer than hiding a spare key on the machine ( as some people are apparently doing). Now I have this mod, which works a treat, I will probably never lock my key under the seat - well maybe not!

What you do is this:

................email me and I will tell you off list. For obvious reasons I do not want to pass these details around unnecessarily or post to an open forum as the mod compromises the security (marginally) of the contents in the trunk.

NormanB

·
Registered
409 Posts
norman:

Is locking the keys under the seat an "English" thing

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it might be - or it might just be this stoopid git here! :oops:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Never thought about the possibilty... but with me it's not an issue anyway as I keep both keys on me at all times. The key I use (bare key only, no ring) I keep in my watch pocket. The 'spare' key is on the ring with the truck/house keys. It still even has the plastic sleeve still on it. I use the key alone because I do not like the keys making noise and rubbing the dash while riding.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
................email me and I will tell you off list. For obvious reasons I do not want to pass these details around unnecessarily or post to an open forum as the mod compromises the security (marginally) of the contents in the trunk.
You have a better way then the picture wire ?
Ooooooo forget I said that it's a open forum . :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I locked my key in the trunk once, second or third day I had it.

I got off the bike, put the key in my jacket pocket, took off my helmet, put the helmet in the trunk, took off the jacket and put it in the trunk, closed the trunk...doh! :oops:

Took a bus home, got my spare key, took a bus back to my bike, retrieved the key.

Now I keep both keys on me. And since I seldom use the keyhole shutter (maybe in the winter I will), I'm going to order a spare key without the secret decoder head and will do something like billmeek does, using the bare key for normal use, one original key on my key-ring for emergency use, and the other original in my safe as a back-up.

After all that i'll probably figure out some new and interesting way to still lock myself out. :roll:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've got a key hidden on the bike. I needed it the other day as I lost the key at the beach. I'm pissed though because now I can't use the shutter lock without potentially being locked out.

I really liked the shutter lock and Suzuki waer idots for not providing more than two keys to operate it AND will not allow you to buy more.

You will need to buy a new shutter mechanisim and 4 blanks to get what you want and it will run about $140.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
I ran another cable to open the seat, just in case

·
Registered
92 Posts
Keys Locked in Bike

I just got my 650 back from the shop after the accident - took seven weeks to repair it due to difficulty of getting parts - on Thursday.

Today, Saturday, I took a lengthy ride - for me anyway - of about 100 KM. At the end I stopped for a drink and carefully put my keys in my pants pocket and my jacket and helmet in the trunk. Just as the trunk lock clicked shut I realized I hadn't put the keys in my pants, but in the jacket pocket. :(

Planning to call my wife, I decided to buy a drink at the store I had stopped at, problem number two, I had forgotten my wallet. All I had was about 55 cents in my pocket, not enough for a drink or a long distance phone call. :roll:

Found a pay phone and called my wife collect. She showed up about an hour later. Meanwhile a kind biker had bought me a drink otherwise I think with the heat and humidity all my wife would have found was a grease spot. If the biker who bought me a drink in Belfountain Ontario ever reads this thank you again. :)

Since I don't have a name I can't repay him, but I will be sure to pay it forward to the next person/biker I meet in need.
8)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That's why mailmen hate mail slots. The instant the mail leaves your hand & while it is still in mid-air you realize that was the wrong house.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Richard,

Glad you got your 650 back! I spoke with the service manager at my dealer last week. No different in the USA. He has quite a few damaged machines waiting for parts - and he is quite frustrated with that. They also carry Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha, and he says they are no better. None of them carry much parts inventory in the warehouses these days. A sad situation, and he considers it totally unacceptable.

I never stow my riding gear under the seat. It goes in the Givi E52 trunk when I stop. You cannot lock the Givi trunk without the key... Works for me...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Got Bike Back

Pauljo,

Thanks for the comment :) . I just wish everything was complete. First because the windshield was damaged anyway I asked that they install the new larger OEM winshield that has been documented here. They still haven't got that :( . (The new larger OEM windshield is cheaper that the original - how do you figure that? The Canadian list on the new windshield is about $146 while the original is over $400.)

On my ride today I kept feeling that the most damaged side running board was lower than the undamaged side :? . When I stopped I had a good look. There is at least a one centimetre difference :x (about 0.4 inches to you americans) :( . I plan to make them fix that when it goes in for the new windshield.

Richard

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Keys Locked in Bike

Richard said:
[snipped]
Today, Saturday, I took a lengthy ride - for me anyway - of about 100 KM. At the end I stopped for a drink and carefully put my keys in my pants pocket and my jacket and helmet in the trunk. Just as the trunk lock clicked shut I realized I hadn't put the keys in my pants, but in the jacket pocket. :(

Planning to call my wife, I decided to buy a drink at the store I had stopped at, problem number two, I had forgotten my wallet. All I had was about 55 cents in my pocket, not enough for a drink or a long distance phone call. :roll:

[snipped]
8)
This obviously only happens to the best people!!

After my one and only incident I am very careful about what I do with my key - even though I have fitted a 'get out clause mod'.

With the best will in the world it is so easy to do this - no matter what your strategy is with spare key - in another pocket or whatever. My solution works for me I can open the bike without the key and I accept the slight compromise in the security of the trunk.

Never say never! (I never said that!) ;-)

NormanB

·
Registered
239 Posts
pauljo said:
I never stow my riding gear under the seat. It goes in the Givi E52 trunk when I stop. You cannot lock the Givi trunk without the key... Works for me...
How is the Givi E52 trunk attached?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
BobG said:
How is the Givi E52 trunk attached?
One key locks/unlocks all the functions - hence the "Monokey" name for this line of trunks. With the key unlocked, you push one button to release the trunk lid catch. You push a different button to release the trunk from it's rack and remove it. Very easy and convenient.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts