Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently a owner of a 2004 GSX-R1000 K4 with 470 miles on the clock, I recently had a argument with a car and lost! £2500 worth of damage, I survived with bruises etc and the bike is fully comprehensive insured, it will be ready by the end of the week.
Back to my question, last weekend I had a brilliant time test riding a Piaggio 500 X9 & the new Gilera 500 Nexus, I used to own a 400 Burgman and really miss it, testing these scoots has reminded me how useful they are!

So what I am thinking about doing, is trading the Gixxer in for a Burgman 650, It would almost be a straight swap, I know I will lose out a fair bit, but I have wanted a 650 Burgman since they were launched.
Somebody tell me I am doing the right thing, or should I try a strait-Jacket on for size :lol:

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
409 Posts
Andy, you're not nuts. If possible, get the Burgman and keep the gixxer/

If not, think what type of riding you will be doing the most.

I sold my Venture touring bike because I wasn't using its capabilities. I kept my bandit 600 for fun riding. However, I just roe my Burgman yesterday fo 300 miles in various twisties. Great ride. Good handling and the motor is a blast when spooling up. You probably would be happy with the 650.

As an aside, insurance will be cheaper

·
Registered
65 Posts
Traded my VTX in for my Burgman 650 and haven't looked back. The more I ride the Burg the better I like it. Puts a smile on my face every time. It is as practical as it is fun which is an added bonus. :nike:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andy, you're not nuts. If possible, get the Burgman and keep the gixxer
I can't afford both! in the UK, the executive is approx. $12305 :shock: its one or the other. I know if I got the Burgman 650 I would not ride the Gixxer nearly as much.
The Gixxer is a fantastic bike, but it is such a focussed machine, whenever I ride it, I find myself racing everywhere!, not healthy.

It really is a hard decision to make!

Andy

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The fact that your thinking about it means it's time, and your not going to be happy (or safer) till you do it. Your not going into this "blind" you have owned scooters before, well the 650 is just a scooter on steroids. 8)
Myself , I have a 400 which for me right now is fine and I don't even miss my BMW cruiser--if I did I would most likely get a Burgman 650. :)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Go for it Andy. The Burgman will offer you a more relaxed ride (still have to focus on traffic) and if you carry passengers at all they will absolutely be grateful to you for switching. I went from a sportbike to the Burgman 650 and I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I find, when on my 650, that Im still charging hard to the wall. The bike has so much heart, so much roll on power for its size, you find yourself goosing it from your average speeds of 45 mph, to that 75-90mph zone that it just sings at. How is this possible.

I posted earlier that a Duc rider that I joust with on occasion said to me, "wow, that's amazing".

GO do it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Aside from being plenty fast, the 650 is easily the most practical machine I've owned. I had a sportbike and I was always strapping stuff all over it so I could use it for practical purposes rather than just a weekend adrenalin rush. Now I can go to meetings with a pile of folders, do the grocery shopping, etc.

Plus you'll perhaps get fewer speeding tickets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
andy: we are exactly in the same spot, in the same boat; i'm tryng to unload my showroom ZX-12R Ninja in favor of the Burg. Same reasons as you and the rest.
I'll probably opt for the 650 since i do tours w/ pillion.
but the 400 has its many advantages as well. you bought a gsxr; you know which one is right for now.
GLAD YOU'RE OK.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Andy,

I'm a Berkshire man, and one Brit to another, the "sportsbike or bust" attitude in the UK is senseless and complete hype. The idea that a 2004 model bike with 2bhp more at the top end and 1.3kg less weight suddenly makes the 2003 model redundant and "rubbish" is complete nonsense. A lot of our obsession with race reps comes from the magazines that we read - which are for the most part crap. Ever seen a Fastbikes video? Makes you embarrassed to ride a motorcycle and be British.

The facts are that a Police rider on an ST1100 will outrun most litre sportsbike riders is interesting, considering the differing specifications of the machines. What people don't think of is that a tourer rider can outrun a race rep rider on most public roads in the comfort of an armchair - the Burgman 650 is such a bike. Oh, and then take the wife or kid out for a cruise. And then go shopping for groceries. And take you to work on Monday morning.

If you are tired of the race rep which needs you to strap things to it to make it in the least bit practical, then this is a good buy. It has been tested in Europe against the STX1300, R1150RT and FJR1300 with favourable results. It is a fun bike. I still have the 45, and X11 naked for circuit riding and dedicated solo camp touring respectively, but for tandem rides nothing beats the 650. It's pretty good solo too, and as abm says, it's far faster than it has any right to be. And the torque instanly available due to the CVT makes it really pull up to 100mph. It is not a slow bike. You may still find yourself racing...

If you can keep the GSXR, or flog it and get a cheaper race rep for the adrenalin rush days that the 650 won't quite be able to service, you'd have the perfect set-up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Andy,

With over 250kms (since Saturday) on my Burgman 650, I have this to say about your dilema. In the words of that sportswear manufacturer:-

"Do it!!"

As a tourer, it is simply fine, and I defy anyone to adopt the "feet forward" stance on the bike for any length of time to ever feel comfortable perched like a parrot on a couple of pegs on any other bike. And remember riding an automatic with your 400? Ahh, no gear changes, no frantic tromping down on the gear lever at the lights, fanning the clutch and clunking. And the 650....sweet, powerful, controlled, nimble when pushed...just wonderful.

Go and see Starsky and Hutch (the movie) "Do it, do it now!!"

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
308 Posts
lycheed said:
If you are tired of the race rep which needs you to strap things to it to make it in the least bit practical, then this is a good buy. It has been tested in Europe against the STX1300, R1150RT and FJR1300 with favourable results. It is a fun bike.

Good luck.
THat STX is the st1100 successor? It looks like a good bet, maybe put it on the short list as a possible for me. I need a practical 2nd machine. The old St1100 was a little too short in the leg for me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
abm, yes the STX is the ST1100 successor. It looks, goes, stops and turns better. I was set on buying one - actually got as far as drawing the cash out for a deposit - until what can only be described as heartache set in, about the fact that I was going to lose my 21k mountain camping miles from new x11. I couldn't do it, and felt that there would be too much of an overlap between the two. So I went for the AN650 instead (actually a very similar package without a bit of go), and kept the x11. I'll come back for the V4 STX1300 one day in the future.

Nice bike. Get a test ride. You'll walk away an STX owner - if you've got 15k USD to hand, that is...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts