Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Has your Burgman 400 used any oil between oil changes?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please limit result to those riding 2003 or newer Burgman 400s and have ridden more than thru the first 600 mile sevice. If yes, please post an estimate of how much oil it has used per mile or kilometer.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Sorry Bill

I voted without reading the instructions :oops: please delete my vote if you wish.

However for your purposes, the engine essentials are the same in all models!

For what its worth, I suppose I have used around one third of a litre in around 3000 miles.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The answer is yes, but as to how much - 17000 miles under a quart in top offs between oil changes. ---I don't really consider this using oil.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bill,

One thing about these polls is that you can't see the results until you vote. Obviously we 650 owners can't participate, but it would still be interesting to know the results. If you could post the results after a few days, I'd be interested to see them.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul,

There is a link to 'View Results' right below the poll 'Submit Vote' button.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I checked mine today. I am not sure if NYBUBBA had put any oil in it after the 600 mile service but from 1870 to 2300, it is a little low. Not drastic like a quart or anything but it could probably use some.

Changing it tomorrow and then I'll keep a close eye on it.

edited due to my no spelling self..

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One reason I started this poll (besides the obvious) was that I saw a post about the 400s that got my attention and wanted feed back from other riders :

Ian said:
The engines are pretty bullet proof unless ---
1. You must keep the oil level topped up, 600 miles can see the level go from full to empty, especially on motorway use.
I was wondering if any other 400 riders were seeing heavy oil usage. Looking at the stats so far, it doesn't seem so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Use of engine oil between oil changes ?

Hi Billmeek,

My Burgman 400 now has 4200km ( 2600 miles ) , and oil had been changed twice , at 1000 and 4000 km . So , no oil added in the 3000 km ( ± 2300 miles ) between oil changes .

Note that I don't drive very often in hard conditions , like high sustained freeway speeds in high ambient temp. ( >70mph at >80°F. ) .

In such new and modern engines as we have in our machines , I would not consider normal in any way an engine using too much oil . By too much , I mean enough oil lost to induce engine damages in less than 1500 or 2000 miles . But regular oil check and look for oil leaks remains a must as hard driving conditions or gradually developing engine problem and probably even quality of oil could modify oil consumption .

Do you still plan to keep your Burgman 400 for a long time ?

Have a nice day !

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info Henri. You asked a good question ... Do I plan on keeping the 400? When Suzuki first declined the service, I seriously thought about fixing the 400 and then selling/trading it on another bike. Since a large portion of my riding is at 65 MPH+, I considered trading for a larger bike. Given the dealer that is doing the repair work now, I think I'll hold on to it for awhile. You never know though, I might see another ride I like and trade it in on the spot. The dealer does have a Burgman 650 on order for the sales floor. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi

My 04 has now clocked over 4500miles now seven months old
The only time I needed to put oil in was after It's first service
when the garage didn't put enough oil in on change.
other than that i've not put any oil in.

Chris.c

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info Chris.

·
Registered
24 Posts
oil usage

Hi Bill Glad to here your bike will be taken care of, I bet thats a relief. My 400 is a "03" and now has between 12 and 13 thousand miles on it. It will use some oil between oil changes which I try to perform about every 2000 miles. The amount used depends mostly on how I'm driving and will vary somewhat with that. I do alot of freeway driving at 70 to 75 and thats when I notice it the most although I've never really measured how much. I do think that some of it gets huffed up into the airbox through the breather when run like that. When doing my valves and removing the air box there is always oil in there, sometimes filling the drain tube. I'm curious, how much oil was in yours when you had your problem? I believe it hold a little over 2qts with filter change and thats a lotta oil to just vanish without some sign. I check my oil frequently more so if I'm driving hard and the weathers hot,etc. I kinda like to think of these things as owning a airplane and using that as a guideline for maintence. Also last fall I was complaining of a rather loud rattle at idle coming from the area of the rear driven pulley. I finally pulled it apart and found what I had thought it would be, one of the bearings, in this case the roller bearing which mounts on the inboard side of the pulley acts like it has a flat spot on it. I'll keep everyone posted as I make the repairs.
Take care Tom Clark

·
Registered
76 Posts
Voted Yes but...

I did add some oil after about 3000 miles although the dipstick showed it at the half-way point. Had a few ounces leftover in the bottle, so I put it in. I don't think it was really necessary.

BTW, I am now checking the oil every few rides. Had not looked at it for about 10 months.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: oil usage

tclark said:
I do alot of freeway driving at 70 to 75 and thats when I notice it the most although I've never really measured how much.
I also do some highway miles. The dealer/Suzuki thinks that may be part of the reason for it using oil.

tclark said:
I'm curious, how much oil was in yours when you had your problem?
According to the dealer, about a cup of oil was all the engine had left.

tclark said:
I'll keep everyone posted as I make the repairs.
If possible, pics are always welcome. ;) Thanks Tom.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I thought that Sylvester was going thru oil, and added some more - then when I brought 'im in for his checkup, I was told he was overfilled, and they had to drain some out. He was leaking a bit around the fill stem...
I have a hard time checking the dipstick while keeping the bike properly upright. Does it check ok with the bike on the centerstand, or does it still need to be lifted off the front wheel to be "straight" enough for an accurate check? He is measuring very full now, but is resting on the center stand. Checking every ride for me would be a royal PITA, trying to hold 'im upright and checking the dipstick :?

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Diane,

I always check mine while just on the centerstand. Of course, I might not be the best to answer this with my luck concerning oil and Burgman engines. :?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A lot of people will probably say I'm full of beans, but I think this works. Take it for what it's worth.

Due to limited parking area at my home, I always have to park my scooter in _exactly_ the same spot, within at most two or three inches, always facing the same direction. So, I checked my oil with the bike upright, verified that it was full, and then parked the bike as always, leaning on the kickstand in its usual spot. _Immediately_ I then checked the oil again, with the bike not level. Thus, I determined that, for my scooter in my garage parked in its usual position, the oil is "full" when it is just barely showing on the dipstick.

Since the lean of the kickstand never changes, and since the bike is never anywhere else when I check the oil, I can with considerable confidence verify that the crankcase is full at any time while it is so parked without having to put the bike up on its center stand or otherwise level it. If the oil is just barely on the bottom of the dipstick, regardless of the markings, I know that it is right.

If _any_ of the parameters vary-- the lean angle, the place where the bike is parked, if _anything_ changes, this method will not work. The whole thing depends on the fact that for me conditions from check to check remain _exactly the same_.

Needless to say, this will not help everyone, and _certainly_ will not work under all conditions. But if you park as precisely as I must (If I vary by three inches I either hit a wall or my beloved 1971 MGB), then it may make your life easier.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Someone with the owners manual handy will have to answer that one. Mine owner manual is setting at a dealership right now. :(

1 - 20 of 36 Posts