Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought the burgman out of hibernation this evening. it has been sitting in a heated garage for 5 months. I rode it 5-6 miles one evening a month or so back. mostly 15-25 mph, so tonight was the first real workout in 5 months. I rode several miles at 55-60 mph and came up upon a "seasoned citizen" doing 40mph on a back road that routinely is traveled at 65mph. I had plenty of room to pass and started to do so. I shifted to power mode, hit the throttle. halfway around the car, the engine felt like it just went to one cyl. no power at all. I was able to slow and get in behind the car. the odo readout alternately was flashing with the letters FI (fuel injection, I assume). the red FI readout was on on the dash. I rode another mile to the park, shut off the engine and restarted. the FI light was off and the scooter was fine. I rode home and took the tach up to 6-7k several times in power mode. no problems.
what do you think?
slightly clogged injector from sitting? momentarily fouled plug? cobwebs?
thanks

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
B/ 4 you put it into hibernation did you add gas stabilizer.
could have been a bit of varnish build up in the fuel system.
Just an off the wall thought :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I didn't. I have always topped off my motorcycle gas tanks and let them sit.
I am thinking along the same lines as you. the passing attempt was the first heavy throttle use in 5 months, so it could have been some gumming of the injector. seems to be perfectly fine. I was just curious if has happened to anyone else.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 05 owner's manual says that if this happens there is something wrong with the Fuel injection system or the CVT system. I don't know if the 04 and earlier manual covers this or not. But in a situation like yours where the odo alternately displays F1 and the red indicator light comes on and remains lit that the engine may continue to run. It advises to keep the engine running and bring to your dealer. If it stalls try to restart after turning the ignition switch off and on. Big caution says to take to dealer and inspect the systems as soon as possible.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a month left on the warranty. I may ride it once more and see if there is still a problem. I should be able to put a few k miles on it before the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I took mine out tonight for the first time this year, did about 80 kilometers at various speeds from walking to 120 kilometers (GPS measured) and had no problems.
Mine was stored outside, covered in a carport, gas stabilizer and a Battery minder connected.
I cycled through all the modes and 'gears', everything worked just fine.
It was GREAT !!!!!! :D :p :lol:

I would lean towards bad gas effecting the FI system. It is my understanding that it doesn't take much to plug them up.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
God - I can't count how many darn lawn mowers that I've had to get into after a season of inactivity. ALWAYS a darn gas deal. However, like the man said, it was topped off and in a heated garage. hmmm - all my 4 cycle engines sat out in a drafty old shed. Either way. I think it's the old gas also. Even though these things are "high tech," the same old "old school" basics apply. (btw - my lawn mower started first "prime-it-pull" meaning all i wanted to do was suck gas into the chamber...last week - it scared the kaka out of me! :p ) Go figure - i didnt use stabilizer or nothing. Since it had a plastic gas tank i just ran it dry last fall and..well..thats it. put new gas in, pumped the primer bulb about ten times and - VvvaaVVaavvava rooooooom! :) I've had to mow the lawn twice already! (well not me - i get a neighborhood junkie to do it!) 8)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Always use a stabilizing additive in the gasoline when storing for more than 30 days. Completely filling the fuel tank will displace air and help reduce moisture accumulation, but will not slow the deterioration of the gasoline itself and the resultant varnish formations. Higher octane fuels deteriorate somewhat faster than lower octane ones and your results may vary by geographic region as there are well over 50 different regional gasoline blends, plus the seasonal variations to control for vapor pressure.
A "smart charger" will also save your battery and you should follow other normal procedures for the rest of the bike, as well, involving tires and the introduction of oil into the cylinders.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes, the FI light has come on a number fo times on my particular AN650, but that was due to the idle rpm led the FI system to think that variation in operating rev range was abnormal, indicating an engine management problem. The dealer found that in consultation with Suzuki, lifting the idling rpm cured the problem.

However, in your case, the reason sounds quite different. Either way, we have to distinguish between what the the cause. FI light on means take your bike to the dealership. Period. I must say that when my FI light came on there was no noticeable performance loss whatsoever, so your case sounds different. I'd go along with the fuel stablizer idea. When storing a bike for longer than 3 months or so you have to either brim the tank, but completely replace that fuel for new when you come to ride it, or simply add fuel stabilier in the first place. I store a couple of my bikes for 12 months at a time, and simply connect the battery and ride away on the things by doing this, and a few other tricks.

Having a few more rides may not be a good idea if your fuel has seperated into oil and jelly, as it won't do your engine any good in the long run... Best thing is to drain and refill the tank, then take it for a ride - preferably towards the dealership. If the FI light comes on again, leave the bike at the shop and get the train home. :wink:

Good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with everyone on the old fuel theory. It sounds like it still runs relatively well except for high speed where the max amount of fuel is required to flow through the injectors and this translates to a slightly gummed/varnished injector. I would simply drain the tank, put in fresh fuel, add injector cleaner and run her. If this does not solve the problem, the injectors will need to be removed and cleaned.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you need to add an injector cleaner, I have personally had very good results with two: Chevron Techron and Sea Foam
Both are commonly available and have worked very well for me over the years. I think Techron is also present in small quantities as an addative in Chevron gasolines.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just to follow up.
I rode last night 15-20 miles. went to the grocery store and bought 6 bags of groceries(couldn't do that on my ace). loaded them and both of us. a full load for sure. the burgman performed flawlessly. shifted from power to drive, as usual when reaching cruising speed. did several quick take-offs from stop signs. no malfunctions.
I have 1 month left on the warranty. I am going to ride as much as possible between now and then. the code should be stored in the bikes computer, so I will probably take the scooter back in before the warranty runs out. I don't seem to be able to reproduce what happened on my first ride.
thanks for all of the input.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
One other note Bean - if you use FI cleaner, you should look at changing your oil relatively soon after running that stuff thru. I'm no PHD at engine stuff but I believe that some of that stuff can end up in the crankcase and sort of "dilute or polute" your burgers oil supply.
Just food for thought.

Good to hear your scoot worked well yesterday!

Happy Sailing!

Pete

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Bean,
Sounds like is was just the gas, you mite ask your service wrench what he thinks.
Most likely a one shot deal. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts