Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Would you add ABS to your ride if you could do so reasonbly, cost wise?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And see if the Executive ABS module can be retrofitted to to an older 03 or 04 model? Does anyone have any experience with Suzuki's ABS system on an Exec or other bike? Would it be worth pursuing this train of thought?

All opinions welcome...

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Is it not true that none of the Burgmans sold in this country have ABS?
If so, getting parts could be a challenge, and I bet they'd be really expensive, especially if you had to get them from Europe.
At the least you'd probably be looking at new calipers, and some computer and other related electronics. Then there is the challenge of finding someone qualified to do this conversion, and what their labor charge would be. I personally wouldn't pursue it, but if you do, let us know what you discover.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brake systems aren't that tough to work on, especially disk brakes.

Since the Exec already has ABS; and most car/bike companies tend to design with "off-the-shelf" parts, I'm willing to bet that most of the parts required are already in place. I'm thinking that all that would really be required might be a new master cylinder (w/sensors, etc.) and the control module(s).

I'm thinking that since the Exec is now available in Canada, one or more of our bretheren to the north can help me aquire part numbers, fisch drawings, and maybe help me order the parts for a retrofit from a Canadian dealer.

Again, all of my mechanical experience is automotive vs motorbikes, but they can't be different enough to really present insurmountable problems for me to understand & adapt to.

ABS systems on cars & trucks are so vastly superior to what was available even as recently as 10 years ago that I'm thinking the benefits for braking control (ie: not locking them up in a panic stop, etc.) might be worth pursuing the idea, as long as it isn't overly expensive.

I'd like to find out if the ABS system for the Burgman is used on some other model that I might be able to scavenge parts for the attempt. I'd be willing to bet that the parts are available in North America if I just know what to look for.

Something like retrofitting rear disk brakes to an old Mustang by using parts from the Ford Fairmont/Futura/Lincoln Versailles platforms (all Fox body class cars, all parts interchangable except for sheet metal).

Basically anything I can do to improve handling &/or braking will be beneficial in the long run. Before I ever worked on getting more power out of the Lightning, I did everything I could to improve the braking/handling capabilities of the truck.

I think the same principle applies here. I've seen some very small, water cooled Japanese turbos that could fairly easily be adapted to the Burgman that I've been toying with the idea of securing one and doing some seriously mad-scientist style performance improvements. With what I have found thus far, it wouldn't be a huge trick to pull off.

I'm not saying that anyone else is crazy enough to want to do this, but hey, I never claimed to be sane. Consider a Burgman sporting say 80+ hp with a commensurate increase in torque, scooter wheelstands, stoppies (with really good brakes), tire destroying burnouts while the guy on the sportbike has to pick his jaw up off the ground while watching me fade into the distance, very rapidly, etc.

Old engineers never die, they just turn into mad scientists....stay tuned...get it? Tuned?! (oh I kill myself sometimes!). [insert seriously evil mad scientist style laughter fading away as they carry me back to my rubber room]

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Apparently BMW videotaped a demonstration of their ABS systems. They had 2 bikes fitted with outriggers so they wouldn't tip completely over, then ran them into something like 4-6" of standing water and hit the brakes. The non-ABS one spun out, the ABS model stopped straight and drama-free.

BMW's ABS system for their single-cylinder F650 bikes costs ~$500. The ABS system on the rest of their bikes, though, is ~$2200, and also gives you power brakes, if I understand correctly. That's a big chunk of change. I'd like to know how effective the $500 version is.

The thing I'd want most from the Executive model is the power adjustable windshield. ABS only maybe. And the power folding mirrors might be useful in Europe or Japan, but they're kind of silly for North America.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Actually Dean, I wasn't all that excited by my folding mirrors either, except for the cool factor, but I'm beginning to rethink this.

They are useful for squeezing up the drive into the garage between my cages. (mine my wifes, or my sons)
Even more so for backing down the drive, when I leave.

However, this morning on the way to work, there were 3 or 4 cars lined up at a stop sign, trying to turn left onto a major street, where I needed to turn right.

A little space was left where I needed to go, so I hit the blue button, rode past them, stopped, looked, hit the blue button again as I turned right and I was long gone, while they were still sitting there wishing they had a bike.
No waiting 8)

Wish I could have seen their faces, but I was kind of busy, what with concentrating on riding through a rather small space, stopping, hitting blue buttons etc. :wink:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Wyldman said:
I think the same principle applies here. I've seen some very small, water cooled Japanese turbos that could fairly easily be adapted to the Burgman that I've been toying with the idea of securing one and doing some seriously mad-scientist style performance improvements. With what I have found thus far, it wouldn't be a huge trick to pull off.

I'm not saying that anyone else is crazy enough to want to do this, but hey, I never claimed to be sane. Consider a Burgman sporting say 80+ hp with a commensurate increase in torque, scooter wheelstands, stoppies (with really good brakes), tire destroying burnouts while the guy on the sportbike has to pick his jaw up off the ground while watching me fade into the distance, very rapidly, etc.

Old engineers never die, they just turn into mad scientists....stay tuned...get it? Tuned?! (oh I kill myself sometimes!). [insert seriously evil mad scientist style laughter fading away as they carry me back to my rubber room]
I can see why you really do need ABS Brakes

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would fit ABS in an instant if it was avaialable at a reasonable cost.

I have ABS on my BMW 1200RT. It has only kicked in twice in 4,000 miles but on the second occasion it paid for itself. I was travelling on a very wet motorway when a fox run across the road. The car in front slammed on the brakes and stopped. I think I reacted slightly late and did not brake in time. I hit both brakes and prepared for an impact. The bike stopped in a straight line with a foot or two to spare. No drama except for some soiled pants.

Bring it on!

Stevec

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, my sanity is not the question here, I readily admit that I'm WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY out over the edge, but if I'm considering making insane power (what can I say, I'm a forced induction junky!), then I think it's only logical to consider insane braking ability as well.

To make go-fast w/o the ability to make stop-fast truly is insane!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had ABS and TCS on a Honda ST1100 I used to own, and although I never got it into a traffic situation where I needed the ABS (more by luck than judgement) it was nice to know it was there. I used to play with it out of curiosity, testing it by charging across wet grass at about 40-50mph then grabbing the front brake. In any other circumstance I and half a ton of motorcycle would be on the deck instantly, but the big old Pan would just shudder to a perfectly stable stop with the front brake pattering away at 6 times a second- it was such a weird sensation. I could then just slam the throttle open and the TCS would kick in before the back wheel could spin, and the bike would stutter away without digging a huge hole, it was like a sort of party trick, I kept trying to defeat the gadget but it always worked.
I'd have it like a shot on my Burg if they did it for the 400.

dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts