Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my wife started riding again and decided on a Reflex 250. Needless to say, when she's on her Reflex it looks pretty strange for me to follow on my Goldwing. I'm thinking about selling my wing and getting either a Burgman 650 or Honda Silverwing. Before I make the jump I hope to get some honest opinions.

Can the 650 really tour? Two or three times a year I like to head out for 4-7 days of touring. Usually cover 2000-4000 miles each outting traveling 30% on the highway and the rest on the back roads. Has/does anybody use their 650 in this fashion?

Performance riding. Has anyone challenged roads such as the Dragon with their 650. I don't mean at sportbike speeds, but a little over the posted speed limits. What is a realistic top speed?

Long distance comfort. Is the 650 comfortable enough to travel 600-800 miles per day? Has anyone tried a IB1000 with one? How well does the shield and fairing protect you from wind and rain?

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Andy,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA. I went to the AN650 from a Kawasaki Concours, a very competent sports tourer. I've also owned a Wing, but it was a 1200cc model.

The 650 can certainly tour. I do several tours per year, and I have been on the road for a week with it. We have a few members who have done some really long tours. I usually limit myself to a 500 mile day, but I would do that regardless of what I'm riding. I just mentally lose my edge if I press much further than that in a day.

On the Interstate, the Wing is king. But I have cruised at 80 mph all day on my 650 before. Still have plenty of reserve left for passing trucks. On the curvy roads, the Burgman wins. It handles well, and in Power mode, it is a joy to ride the twisties on it. I took a trip to the South Dakota Black Hills last year. Boring Interstate ride to get there, but I had a ball riding the twisties once I got there. This was NOT during prime tourist season, so I could ride the twisties with some zeal.

I had mine up to 115 mph in stock configuration. I now have a large windscreen and a Givi 52 liter top box on it, so it won't do that anymore. Think of it as a 100 mph machine, and you're in the ballpark. It will accellerate well up into the 90's. After 100 mph there is nothing I would honestly describe as accelleration left.

The fairing protects well. Depending on your size, you may need to upgrade to a larger windscreen. Clearview and Cee-Bailey both make windscreens in several different sizes for the 650. Givi makes one size only. I have an XXL Clearview, with a Goldwing vent on mine, and the protection is very good. I think that is the ultimate setup for me (I am 6'6" with a 34" inseam).

After I sold the Kawi Concours, I bought a 1000cc Suzuki V-Strom with factory hard luggage, and a few months later I bought the scooter. Over the next year I put about 6000 miles on the Strom, and 14000 miles on the Burgman. I sold the V-Strom this year. The DL1000 was certainly faster, and rode better over bumps, but I just was having more fun riding the big scooter. Every tour I did that year was on the scooter as well.

It can't do everything better than a Wing or a Strom or a Connie. But it is a versatile bike and a lot of fun to ride.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gl1800 to Burger

We had a 96 gl1500 from new. Went to the burger(Aug 2002). Love it. It isn't as comfortable, not as heavy, handles better than a 1500 (should be close to the 18) accelerates better than a 15, doesn't have all the gizmos (don't miss them after 3 years). Weather protection just as good (with an aftermarket screen), carries as much if not more luggage (with top box, throw over bags and a hump bag). We have travelled 900 k's in one day regularly, rain, hail or shine and have been just as comfortable than on the wing. Heaps better in traffic. I have been looking for a replacement for the burger, but apart from the GL1800 or ST1300 of the BMW K12, nothing is as good an all-rounder than the Burger. Not going to go back to a "BIG REAL Bike". Suffice to say "BURGERS RULE" for us.
We fitted Ikon shocks, Moriwaki full system, Give screen and adapted some stuff from the 15. I would rather ride a scoot. Cheers from Tassie. Geoff

·
Registered
239 Posts
I haven't ridden a 'Wing, but I have done a bit of touring over the years and the Burgman is as good or better than most bikes I have owned. It's taken me from MN to CA a couple of times, plus a trip to TX and back and recently, a 1000 mile in 24 hours endurance event. (I felt like I was cheating!) I haven't had the opportunity to ride the Dragon, but I do an annual track day and a couple of weeks ago rode through the mountains from Saratoga to Boulder creek, following my son on his K1200S, quite a wild ride! I don't know what the top speed is, but don't really care, as the Burgy goes as fast as I'd ride anything else and will happily cruise at a genuine 85 MPH for as long as you wish. Of course, I have also toured on a KLR650 and enjoyed that, too, so don't listen to me! I also seem to be the only Burgman owner who shortened the windshield!

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not quite what you're asking but may be relevant. I've gone from a HD Superglide to a Burgman 400AN. The only thing I miss is the ability to downshift when leaving the highway. On the Burgman I have to brake.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
CleRider said:
...Can the 650 really tour?
Last summer I rode from the Canadian Border to the Mexican Border in three days via I-5, hung around San Diego and Anaheim for 4 days, then rode back to Seattle via the PCH in three days. 3,000+ miles. I haven't ridden a 'wing since the '70s, but I thought the Burgman did fine. Larger tires would have made it better, but it wasn't bad at all. I loved being able to carry 10-day's worth of clothes & sundries locked in the trunk.

I've made several trips to Eastern Washington over weekends, 300 miles each way. Going over the passes is no sweat, and taking the sweepers at a little over the recommended speed is fun.

It's not a Goldwing, and it's not a BMW, but it's a great all-purpose machine.

CleRider said:
...Has anyone tried a IB1000 with one?
I'll get back to you on that.

I'm repeating last year's Border to Border trip as an IBA BTB36 in September, and may do one leg as an IB1000 along the way. (Got to check the rules to see if that's kosher.)

·
Registered
190 Posts
CleRider said:
Can the 650 really tour? Two or three times a year I like to head out for 4-7 days of touring. Usually cover 2000-4000 miles each outting traveling 30% on the highway and the rest on the back roads. Has/does anybody use their 650 in this fashion?
Long distance comfort. Is the 650 comfortable enough to travel 600-800 miles per day? Has anyone tried a IB1000 with one? How well does the shield and fairing protect you from wind and rain?
I bought my 650 in Oklahoma City and rode back to Los Angeles over two days. Mostly back roads, or as close as I could get since I wasn't really familiar with New Mexico and Arizona. Google says 1327 miles for the trip (mostly on I-40) but my odometer said 1700, so I got in a few extra miles :)
Second day was 950 miles, and wasn't too taxing. If I'd known, I would've gotten a sign-off when I stopped for gas in the morning and spent another hour or two in twisty country to get the IB1K. I wasn't sore after that day, either; I can probably do 1K days at will.
CleRider said:
Performance riding. Has anyone challenged roads such as the Dragon with their 650. I don't mean at sportbike speeds, but a little over the posted speed limits. What is a realistic top speed?
My bike had a large Givi screen on it when I got it, and I could only get it up to 104 (indicated) out by the VLA radio telescope in New Mexico. I've since swapped the Givi for a stock screen (the Givi was too tall for me) and I've seen 115 a couple of times. There might be a little more left, but I'll have to go to a longer road to find it. (Speedo error is significant...I don't know whether 115 indicated is even 100 true.)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
spacewrench said:
(Speedo error is significant...I don't know whether 115 indicated is even 100 true.)
Speedometer tests by several 650 owners, myself included, have shown the 650's indications to be almost exactly 10% high. Tests have included GPS, RADAR, and timed runs over measured distances.

So 66 indicated is 60 true, 88 indicated is 80 true, etc.

My best speed to date was 119MPH indicated, and my GPS recorded 107.
Since 119 - 11.9 (10%) = 107.1 I'd say the 10% rule is dead on.

In which case 115 - 11.5 = 103.5 true.

Interestingly, the odometers are not off by 10%. Reported errors range from negligable to 3%. My GPS testing on a 200 mile run indicated 3% high (Burgman said 200 miles, GPS said 194).

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
CleRider said:
Recently my wife started riding again and decided on a Reflex 250. Needless to say, when she's on her Reflex it looks pretty strange for me to follow on my Goldwing. I'm thinking about selling my wing and getting either a Burgman 650 or Honda Silverwing. Before I make the jump I hope to get some honest opinions.

Thanks
Andy
B650 vs SW. B650 is a nicer bike in all aspects

Touring. Yes it will. Put a trunk and saddlebags on it if you want the additional storage.

Twisties. The B650 is easlier than the GL1800.

Speed. +100 mph

600-800 mile days - yes you can, but the seat is not as comfortable as the GL1800

Wind and rain protection - Overall, as good as or better than the GL1800. depends on GL1800 set up

·
Registered
498 Posts
Andy, the AN650 is a great bike. In many ways, it is simple downgrade from a GL1800…, which is why I wouldn't advise the move.
• Many of the owners here spend their time fitted top boxes and intercom systems to their machines, yours already has this built in.
• Taking tight bends on the 650 leaves a missive black spot as you turn – as do all twin headlight fairing bikes. You have headlights that turn as you lean meaning that they ‘look’ around bends.
• Many owners complain about the standard seats and suspension of the AN650 and spend time and money getting it the way they want it with aftermarket items. You’ve already got the most comfortable perch in motorcycling.
• Many owners here fit aftermarket pipes to jazz up the sound – you’ve got a flat six.
• Some owners complain about the slight lack of torque when fully loaded and on steep climbs; this is not something that one can say about a ‘wing.
• Many owners complain that the screen is too short or too loud, and fit Clearview items as a fix. Your’s is great as standard.

Of course, there are a fair number of GL1800 owners that customise their bikes too. Simply put, an AN650 is an AN650; a GL is a GL. The AN is nearer a R1150RT (sports Tourer) than a proper ride-all-day long Tourer. The GL is the proper Tourer with Kudos that no other bike can match. FYI, the Silver Wing is a high powered Reflex - great for Asian and European cities where it can squeeze through lines of queued cars on weekdays and take the girlfirend out on the higway to the hot spa at the weekends. All great bikes in their own context. We just need to find which one matches our context best. The GL sounds best for you.

Perhaps the best solution is not for you to slim down, but for the wife to bulk up, as it were. Once she gets used to the Reflex 250 (a great bike, by the way) she can change to an AN650. They are really quite easy to ride for women if the suspension is set on the lowest two levels. Then you really will have 'his and hers'.

By the way, as far as looking strange in a Reflex GL1800 convey – who cares..? It's your ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I got what I was looking for. All I have to do is find a dealership with a used 650 that I can test drive or wait for Suzuki to sponsor a local demo ride.

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
484 Posts
FWIW, I believe that the more experienced rider should lead and the less experienced rider to follow... The experienced rider can watch out for hazards both on the road and those moving in toward your space much better than a less experienced rider. . This is especially true when approaching intersections and heavy traffic. You can determine better when it's safe to pass other vehicles. You are better able to evaluate situations on bends, turns, and over hills, especially blind hills. Just my opinion...

Bill

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree with Lycheed. If you want to ride a Burgman, buy a Burgman. But swapping bikes because you think a Wing and a Reflex don't look good together is plain stupid :wink: Once your wife gets more experience, she may want a more powerful scooter. A Reflex is nice (I had one) but it does have its limits, especially its lack of storage and lack of grunt at highway speeds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts