Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link show a video of one guy doing a wheelie on his scooter (can't tell what type of scooter it is, definitely not a Burgman model).

http://www.uponone.com/videos95687/189941061498175.wmv

Has anyone ever tried to wheelie their Burgman?
I would assume if the scooter is a 50cc to 150cc, all one must do is tug on the bars to get it up on one wheel.

For a Burgman 650, I don't think tugging on the bars will do the trick, since this is an over 600lbs machine. I think the trick to do a wheelie on the Burgman 650 is first, select manual and put it in first gear. then accelerate slowly till the tach reads 5000rpms, then once at 5000, quickly chop the throttle off (this will briefly compress the front forks) then quickly twist the throttle to WFO (wide f'ing open, as the forks decompress), and the front wheel should go up.

If any stunters in here have wheelied a scooter, please share your experiences, thanx...

PS. Greengoose, it seems to me I'm the only one posting on this board as of late :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
First question that comes to mind:

Why, oh why would you want to? I wouldn't want to take the chance of runing such a great machine.

But, if you want to try it out and let us know how it went then....:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Granted, the Burgman 650 is a great machine. But so are motorcycles such as the new 2004 R1, and CBR1000RR, that cost much much more, and yet I'm sure many who buy them will be doing wheelies after the 600 mile break in period. Even many fine bikes such as the 2003 R6 and CBR600RR, that are in the same price range as the Burgman 650, I've seen wheelied alot of times this year alone. As long as wheelies are done properly (ie. particularly power and on-off-on method wheelies, not clutch method), no harm will come to any of the bikes/scooters components or rider.

I'm not just asking if anyone has wheelied their Burgman 650, but any scooters in general. I've done and I've seen many wheelies performed on motorcycles, that it's becoming quite mainstream. A scooter doing a wheelie, is something out of the ordinary (as shown in the link I've referenced above).

So please, if anyone has wheelied any of their scooters, please share you experience, thanx.....

fullenw said:
First question that comes to mind:

Why, oh why would you want to? I wouldn't want to take the chance of runing such a great machine.

But, if you want to try it out and let us know how it went then....:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
"Hello... Is this Grace Memorial's Ortho Ward? And how is Mr. Wheelie doing today? I understand that Geico pays for a private room, so why can't we bring our scooters past the elevators?" :lol:

·
Registered
341 Posts
The One,
I think the balance and torque is wrong even with your plan to rev to 5000rpm. but if you succeed, let us know. I don't think anyone has done a stoppie either, unless you count DeadWeasel's hitting a car. I am pretty sure he lifted the back wheel. Personally, I have a hard enough time just getting the bike off the centerstand.
:blob8:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Nope, can't wheelie a Big Burger. Have wheelied all sorts of smaller scoots, and used to do stunt demo's on them at Open Days and Shows and the like.
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... t=cleavage

Well, when I say `can't`, I mean can't easily. I'm sure you could if you got the weight far enough back, say by standing on the seat, but you'd need second to get the balance point and what would happen when you pressed the gearchange button while hovering the front in first I don't want to find out. Not on my bike, at least. :roll:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd try giving it a whirl on the Met, but I need her in top shape if she's gonna be a trade-in. :) I couldn't imagine the time I'd have trying to explain why the rear end of my scooter seems to have ground itself off in the past week.

I think the Big Burger is way, way to heavy, even with a 650cc engine. The reason CBR650s can do wheelies is they weigh about 200lbs less than a Burger. You might get the wheel six inches, if you're lucky maybe a foot, off the ground, but only for a moment. There definitely wouldn't be enough power to hold it up.

Then again, if anyone wants to chop a Hayabusa up and stuff the drivetrain from that sucker into their Burgman, I'd say you've got a definite chance. Those bikes are insane. 0-360km/h in about 45 seconds. I think I left my face back there on the intersate somewhere. :roll:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Drew it has nothing to do with weight, or power. I've seen with my own eyes a Harley Heritage Softail, complete with fishtail exhausts, wheelied near-vertical. Two-up. Yes, it bent the fishtails. And made the passenger go completely white.

Ok, it was actually being ridden by the insane ex-GP nutter Paul `Loopy` Lewis, and he can do things with a bike that seem to defy the laws of physics, but even so, it CAN be done. 8)

The question really is: SHOULD it..? :roll: :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Interesting. I was thinking the very same thing last week on a 500 mile day ride. Never been my thing though. Only wheelied a bike once; a 77 RS, by mistake, passing a car.

I figured it was a thoretic possibility by someone who has studied the venerable "art" of which, I am not a student.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I have worked enough M C Crashes where the rider has been doing a wheels to wonder why anyone would try it. The back of the head hits hard if you go to far and stearing is questionable. :(

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
By personal experience, I would HIGHLY recommend NOT doing this on the Burg!!! :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
In the manual mode, if you hit 2nd "gear" just right (with gas let-offs between shifts) the front tire will get airborne (for me anyhow) for a brief second in time. Maybe an inch off the tarmac. It's not a full blown "wheelie" by any sense of the imagination, but the front tire does break free of it's earth-bound grip.

- Provided for simple reference and to set the record straight.

·
Administrator
18,722 Posts
I for one have done a STOPIE on my Burgie. I was tring to see the limits of the front brake and clamped it too tight at about 15 MPH. I was leaning as far forward as I could when I did it. I also have gotten the bike totaly airbourn over a train track crossing a few times, NOT a good feeling but controlable. DaveJ

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Well Dave. Tell ya what.

I like the rear brake bias that the burger comes with.

Thanks Steve.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The Burgman 650 has a very long wheelbase of about 63 inches, not a surplus of power, a low CG, and I believe the rider sits a bit more forward than a conventional motorcycle rider's position. All these things conspire to make it not a very good bike to do 'tricks' with.

In other words, although not impossible, It's going to take some determination to loft the front wheel, and personally, I don't think it can be done without some serious abuse to the machine.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'm not just asking if anyone has wheelied their Burgman 650, but any scooters in general. I've done and I've seen many wheelies performed on motorcycles, that it's becoming quite mainstream. A scooter doing a wheelie, is something out of the ordinary (as shown in the link I've referenced above).

So please, if anyone has wheelied any of their scooters, please share you experience, thanx.....
There is a website that had lots of video of people doing wheelies. I can't recall the name of it at this point.

One of the things that used to scare me as a new rider of a Vespa P200E was just how easy it was to pull a wheelie. Many times I had pulled a wheelie without trying.

It is not a preference of mine to pull wheelies. I never pulled a wheelie on any of my other bikes. I am comfortable with two wheels on the ground. :)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Just curious... how the heck did this three+ year old thread get resurrected?? :?

·
Administrator
18,722 Posts
bikinbiddy said:

Just curious... how the heck did this three+ year old thread get resurrected??

Convert said:
Reluctance to start new threads.

And the origanal poster only has 4 posts on record from 2003. ????
But someone did use the search function to find it. DaveJ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts