Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has purchased another motorcycle in addition to their Burg. I understand that the bike is new and most people aren't buying cycles every year. I feel guilty looking at other new cycles thinking that I would love to park "it" next to my Burg someday. What ever "it" may be. I know that many of you have multiple bikes in the garage. I would love to see a Yamaha Warrior in my garage to keep my Burg company. Would it take away from the Burg? Im assuming its just a diffrent animal. I've never owned 2 bikes at one time.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
If I were to buy another bike to keep the 400 company, it'd be the Burgman 650. If the second bike couldn't be another Burgman, my second choice would be a GoldWing.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Trust me... Two machines can co-exist in your garage. And if you go for a second bike, you want it to be different.

I bought the Burgman 650 six months after I bought the 1000cc V-Strom. One attraction, was that it promised to be a very different ride - and it is. However, it can do dang near everything that the V-Strom can do - just in a different way. The big surprise is that I'm rolling up way more miles on the AN650 than on the DL1000. But I still enjoy the V-Strom a lot when I do ride it. And if one machine is in the shop for a couple of days, it's nice to have a backup machine to ride.

Based on the experience of the other Burgman owners who still own motorcycles, I'm very typical. It's a good bet that you'll still ride the Burgman more often than the bike. Think of it this way. If you parked a Corvette in the garage next to your truck, would it take away from your use of the truck? Absolutely not. But it would provide you with a great source of fun whenever you did drive it. The motorcycle and scooter are more closely related than a Corvette and a truck - but I still regard the motorcycle as an occasional use high performance machine (and one heck of a lot cheaper than a 'Vette). :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Before I got into yachting, during 1990 to 1995 I would buy a new motorcycle/scooter every 6 months. :D I always had 5 motorcycles/scooter in the garage at one time, my wife named the garage "the toy box". :p

The problem I had was what ever bike I took for a ride I would get to thinking that I should have taken one of the other ones instead. I wonder if golfers have that same problem choosing clubs? :roll: Examples are: meeting up with my Gold Wing buddies on my Ninja, or my sport riding buddies on my Helix, etc. :?

The ones that lasted the longest (ownership) was the Helix followed by the Gold Wing. Now I have just one, the Burgman which the more I think of it, is actually the swiss army knife of motorcycles as I have stated before. :D

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These posts may help my cause with the wife at a later date. I can hear it now: "You have a motorcycle, why do you need another one?" Well baby, come read this thread.....

·
Registered
639 Posts
These posts may help my cause with the wife at a later date. I can hear it now: "You have a motorcycle, why do you need another one?"
I don't know, but I am very surprised :shock: , that with three very young kids under the age of 4, she's even letting the Father of her children near a motorcycle!

Mind you, after being posted to Iraq, riding a motorcycle might be considered far safer :roll: than being shot at by a bunch of lunatics in far away land.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vfdcaptain said:
These posts may help my cause with the wife at a later date. I can hear it now: "You have a motorcycle, why do you need another one?"
I don't know, but I am very surprised :shock: , that with three very young kids under the age of 4, she's even letting the Father of her children near a motorcycle!

Mind you, after being posted to Iraq, riding a motorcycle might be considered far safer :roll: than being shot at by a bunch of lunatics in far away land.
I sold her on the Burgman because it wasn't a "motorcycle". That because it was "scooter like" that it was "safer". I'm not really sure she bought the line. I think she just lets me have my toys and I let her have her's. ( Alienware tower and 21" LCD )

I think the other reason she lets me is that we are older parents. I'm 35 and she is 31. If we wait till the kids are raised then we have lost many opertune years to have fun.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I was 32 when my first child was born and a year older when the second came. After holding my daughter in my arms, the bike went up for sale. :shock: To us at the time, it didn't seem like we should be taking any more risks, even though we really did enjoy the years we spend touring together. Now, 22 years later, we have the freedom to enjoy our Burgman. 8)

I guess it's a matter of risk management. You only come this way once...so enjoy the ride, but do it safely! :D

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vfdcaptain said:
I was 32 when my first child was born and a year older when the second came. After holding my daughter in my arms, the bike went up for sale. :shock: To us at the time, it didn't seem like we should be taking any more risks, even though we really did enjoy the years we spend touring together. Now, 22 years later, we have the freedom to enjoy our Burgman. 8)

I guess it's a matter of risk management. You only come this way once...so enjoy the ride, but do it safely! :D
Of course if she didnt let me...we wouldn't have this wonderful place called BurgmanUSA. :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I gave up riding for a few years when my kids were babies. I consoled myself with fishing.

One day, when my kids were about 8-10 years old, I was standing by a lake shore fishing. Several times, motorcycles rumbled past on the road above me. I thought about that. By the time I got home, I would be tired, sunburned, and bug bitten - and I'd have fish to clean, equipment to put away, and be in dire need of a shower. Those guys on the motorcycles, would just ride into their garages, and pretty much just walk away with a big smile on their faces.

Well, a few weeks later, I walked into a Suzuki dealership. Rode out on a brand new 1980 Suzuki GN400 (400cc single cylinder street bike). Ahh...!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Paul is right on.

About six months before buying the Burger, I got a used DR350 with about 3500 miles on it.

Now the Burg has 9800 miles to the dirt bike's 7800. I tend to ride the DR about once a week during good weather. I never regret the choice. It's an absolute blast on dirt/gravel roads. But my rides on the DR take me around 100~150 miles. By that time, I'm ready to get off. On a nice day with little else to do (heh, on a nice day, riding is all I can think of to do), the Burg will go 200~400+ miles.

The only time I regret my choice is when I'm trying to loft the Burg's front wheel over some road debris. :)

Steve

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Greengoose said:
I can hear it now: "You have a motorcycle, why do you need another one?"
Need to get her riding too so you can say, "So you can ride one while I'm on the other..." :D

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Need to get her riding too so you can say, "So you can ride one while I'm on the other..."
That is exactly what happened in my marriage. I didn't like my wife riding two-up with me as she tended to have her own agenda while riding and kept knocking the back of my helmet with hers. Solution- GOT HER A 400! Problem solved! :D

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I am back to one machine only and thats the 650. I am how ever secretly looking ( don't tell the missus) for a Dual Sport so I can do some adventure riding. Looking for a 400 -650 Dual sport to handle the chores.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have two bikes. Like Paul, they do co-exist. The rode 6000 miles this year.
3750 on the Burgman and 2250 on the Bandit. Generally I like to ride the Burgman and wonder why I keep the Bandit. That is until I get on the Bandit. They are totally different. I'll just keep them both until I wear them out.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts