Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not yet ridden a Burgman 650 yet, but plan on switching from my Gold Wing to a new Burgman 650 soon.

My riding buddy, a 2014 TriGlide rider claims he'll walk away from my Burgman at a standstill. I'm telling him that the Burgman will beat him up to about 40MPH. Opinions, please:blob7:

·
Registered
352 Posts
My question to him would be... "So?" ;)

·
Administrator
18,726 Posts
Uhm, the Triglide weighs 1215 pounds (560 Kg) without rider. Thats almost 2 Burgman 650's. Required 91 octane gas. 38 MPG. $32K-$34K before any farkels.

I searched 10 web pages praising how much better it is than old Harleys but not 1 performance stat.

gec, I'm thinking the Nethanderal man complex your riding buddy has will require a show down. Most Harley knuckle draggers will never belief a "Scooter" can and will keep up with most stock, NOT SPECIAL EDITION, but stock Harleys.

One of my neighbors has a 122 ci screaming buzzard in a lightweight frame that will keep up with some of the fastest Japanese Crotch Rockets. But he is $45,000 into it so far.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In defense of the buddy's "walk away" comment, in reality, the whole conversation regarding that subject was started by me, but kiddingly. The buddy, no doubt, does think that scooters are "girly machines".

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
But he is $45,000 into it so far.
I just couldn't condone spending that kind of money for anything with two wheels. I know a lot of people have more money than I do. And that does make a difference, but I don't think even if I did have more disposable income that I would spend that kind of money for a two wheeled vehicle.
I think I would help someone less fortunate than myself if I could afford to piddle away that much money for a bike.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Eh, Harley riders. Over the past three decades, They've lost the performance race to virtually every kind of bike on the planet, so now they're down to taking on scooters; and they're slowly losing that one as well.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If he's a big guy, you might beat him...from actual drag videos (HERE), a 650 Burgman in "power" mode will run about a 15.8 1/4 mile. Considering how heavy a Tri-Glide is, I wouldn't expect much better than a 15-flat.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Weight to HP ratio:

This approximate, close enough,

650 Burgman 14:1

Harley Tri-Glide 17:1

plus extra friction of 3 wheel vs 2.

Hardley guy make imbecile statement.

Take Hardley guy to twisty and mountain road, he will be very very imbarass, he inhale you 650 exhaust all day, he only have manual 6 speed and you have Burgie 650 with incredible Suzuki ECVT.

You will also laugh when Hardley Tri-Glide in shop for repair or adjustment every 2-3 week, you and Burgie will not need do that, you always ready for ride, ride, ride all time.

Don't worry be happy and purchase Burgie 650 then smile, smile, smile, smile, smile..

·
Registered
585 Posts
What? Another Disparage a Harley thread! I am so shocked!

Big Twin Harleys have never been promoted as racing bikes - for that they have the V-Rod. With 120hp on tap it IS fast. Expect somewhere in the 11's from a competent rider. Don't bet against one in a race with a B650.

I enjoyed my 20 some years riding a Harley - had some Japanese bikes prior to that - and rode primarily English singles and twins before that. I'm also enjoying my B650 - and I don't pan any of them. Sometimes I just don't understand you guys.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Big Twin Harleys have never been promoted as racing bikes - for that they have the V-Rod. With 120hp on tap it IS fast. Expect somewhere in the 11's from a competent rider. Don't bet against one in a race with a B650.

I enjoyed my 20 some years riding a Harley - had some Japanese bikes prior to that - and rode primarily English singles and twins before that. I'm also enjoying my B650 - and I don't pan any of them. Sometimes I just don't understand you guys.
I've owned many new and used Harley's, still love them, etc. However, my last two new Harley's, one a 1990 Classic, the last a 2000 Ultra were reliability nightmares, plus I was treated poorly by Harley warranty people.

I'd still own an Ultra if younger, not touring long distance, etc. No doubt, Harley's have a soul, much unlike most other bikes. In reality, my TriGlide buddy never rides over 40 MPH, never ridden the Harley on the freeway, since "traffic is too fast".

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts

Although I've never ridden a Harley, I have considered buying one, they do have their features. I have ridden Honda's, BSA's (singles and twins) and Suzuki's, and totally agree with the above statement.

·
Administrator
18,726 Posts

Although I've never ridden a Harley, I have considered buying one, they do have their features. I have ridden Honda's, BSA's (singles and twins) and Suzuki's, and totally agree with the above statement.
While I don't " Disparage a Harley" in itself, I do point fun at some but not all Harley riders, just the ones that think they are riding "Gods Gift to ALL bikers" and if you ride anything LESS you're just pond scum.

But I'll bet ya a beer that a Harley rider will NEVER EVER post on a Harley web forum "I ripped the guts out of a Scooter rider today." :twisted:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

So why does it take a "Big Twin" from HD to beat a small jap twin? I mean come on, why does it take a 1500-1800cc engine to out pace a jap 650 scooter. Maybe that's why we disparage HDs so. Their utter lack of performance compared to anything remotely modern.

You make it sound like There is NO basis for the members not liking all things HD. That there is No reason for it. There is a reason. It's real. It's palpable. It measurable. We're just expressing it.

And I think it's a good thing to have an opinion and express it. If we had no opinions and everything is just great, then there would be no standards, no dissatisfaction and no progress. People are always building a better mousetrap because the old one could be improved upon. We're just saying we don't like the old mousetrap. Maybe you do, and that's fine. But don't be surprised if some us of say, "wow, We found something better".

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I don't knock any brand or type of bike. I also hate when anyone knocks scooters over "motorcycles". I used to get "the wave" when I rode my 50cc chinese scoot by many a type of bike:)

Although I don't really care much, I've often wondered what burgmans can "outrun" since i read this so much. Anyway....

I have no knowledge to add to the op's question, but I must say, that Harley is one beautiful machine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The new twin cool Harley Tri Glide is spunky but a Honda F6B Trike is even better in the quickenss department as well as looks. Trikes are getting more popular as the population ages.

You wont change a Harley rider's mind about much but maybe sometime you can get him to switch bikes with you and let him see for himself.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bet this guy with the Tri-Glide a nice breakfast or lunch and then show him how slow his Tri-Glide is. Of course it isn't supposed to be fast but to be a stable platform for a rider maybe lacking leg strength or balance. I doubt that the HD will exceed 85-95 mph. Stock big twin Harleys are limited by an ECU governor to an RPM limited 100 to 105 mph top speed. Any of my B650's can easily top that speed as did my past T-max 500 and my past Aprilia Atlantic 500.

I would love to have a Tri-Glide myself. I do believe that HD no longer sells them, for the last couple of years.

I love Harley's, have had several and built Dyno winning 'big twins' in Southern, CA for years.

Sam:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
The only problem I have with Harleys are that they have become more of a fashion statement than anything else. Not a bad bike, but just what every yuppie has to own.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts