Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with starting when it's hot, and I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this.

Here's how it happens. It's fine when I first start going. I'll ride for a while, then stop. When I try to start it again, it won't start, and gets an FI error.

This only happens when it is very hot out. We're talking 85+ (South Florida).

The only thing I have found that will remedy it is to remove the gas cap, letting the pressure out, then replacing it.

Sometimes I have to do this multiple times before it will finally start.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm baffled, and frustrated.

Once it's running, it's fine.

Thanks,

Kenny

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
This is not a common issue. It is probably the first occurance of it that I've heard about. So I think a trip to the dealer would be wise.

The gas cap thing may, or may not, be relevant. It may be that after simply sitting a while it would start whether you fiddled with the gas cap or not.

How old is your scooter? How many miles on it? Scuba Girl (Dee) just had an issue with her fuel pump and injectors being gummed up with varnish. If a machine has sat idle for a few months without gas stabilizer in the tank, that can happen. Someone mentioned a product called "Sea Foam" (a gas additive from what I understand) that can clean out the system.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sea Foam or Techron are great varnish cleaners, but make sure you change your oil after running a tank thru - they also bust up carbon deposits in the combustion chambers. I used to run a can of Techron through my old BMW before every oil change and the old crankcase juice would turn coal black after the "douching".

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've had a lot of clogged or pinched vent tubes in my days, and I've always had the engine also fuel starve and die - and then I would have problems restarting untill I vented the tank. If it is a venting problem, then it should be more of a problem on a full tank than a low tank. It also shouldn't have to have the gas cap removed more than once before starting.

I'm more suspicious of a true FI problem, or the auto choke not realizing that the engine is already warm, and trying to start it too rich...

See if it gets better as your tank gets lower. If it's on warranty - then I'd take it in... If it isn't on warranty - then I'd still talk to the service department.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Maybe there is an error code stored that would give a clue to the problem. Under warranty, absolutely bring to dealer.

I'm thinking of purchasing that error code plug in tool that Suzuki sells. Seems it isn't very expensive, and at least I'd be able to read error codes after warranty, which may be useful information on deciding on taking in for service vs fixing myself. In a nice gesure, Suzuki shares the error codes via the factory service manual. Tool plus manual is probably cheaper than a delers charge to pull codes one time.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
That sounds like an injection problem, perhaps the temp sensor. It could possibly be a very weak fuel pump. What might be happening is that each time you get off your bike to open the gas cap, you have to remove the key. When you put the key back in and turn on the ignition, it again runs the pump for a given amount of time to bring it up to pressure (or try to). Try turning off the key when it is hard starting, turn it on for a few seconds, and repeat a few times before cranking. If that helps, it is probably a pump that is not long for this world, and is binding/dragging when it gets warm.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I know of one condition in which the scooter will run, but won't restart after a shutdown, and that gives an FI indication: a problem with the camshaft position sensor. I don't know how that would be related to ambient temperature, though.

If the scooter will crank, but not catch, then I would supect some combination of idle adjustment, throttle position sensor, and ambient air temperature sensor adjustments.

Sounds like a case for a dealer diagnostic, for sure.

Reactions: milburg66
1 - 8 of 8 Posts