Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1999 an400x, I have only used it a few times, yesterday It started ok at 0500 then when I got back to her at 1630 I had to crank for what seemed an age-short burst though, i ended up opening the throttle fully and touching the starter where i heard a pop but still no start, then i pumped the throttle a couple of times and she started

I assumed that i should have a fully closed or partilly open throttle to start

as its hitting winter with no chance of bumping i need to sort this now

Ta
Ray

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Ray, There are a couple of possibilities here.

1. During the 0500 start everything was fine but to achieve the start in low temperature the cold start element of the carburettor pumped additional fuel in. You turned the bike off too early and thus left the bike in a flooded condition. At the 1630 start you would have needed WOT throttle to achieve a successful start.

2. The other possibility is the cold start element in the carburettor is faulty and you got lucky at 0500.

Welcome to the forum :hello2:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't even touch the throttle when I'm starting her up. If it's hard starting and it's new to you, be sure the battery has a nice full charge. It may be time to replace the battery on a 14-year-old machine too.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Chipdoc you may be right but you have a fuel injected 650 this chap has a carbureted 400.;) They are different.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery is fairly new and trickle charged, the throttle at first i left it alone, then tiny bit then wot to make sure its not a wet plug then a couple of twists and bingo

this morning at 0500 i used no throttle with no sucess then i pumped the throttle and bingo, I may wip the carb off next weekend and adjust the air screw to factory
cheers
Ray

·
Registered
68 Posts
If it hasn't been ridden in a while you might consider adding some fuel cleaner. Do you have Chevron Techron available in the UK?

A bit of water in the tank can also lead to difficult starting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did remove the float bowl and found no water, just a little bit of `stuff`
I think the pilot/air screw needs looking at before anything else

Seems we can get chevron techtron, i will adjust the carb first

Thanks
Ray

The guy I got it off said it was a bit of a hard starter

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hope you figure it out.
I once had a Subaru that was always a quirky starter below 30F but on two separate occasions when it was -40 and -38 and I needed it to start for an ambulance call it did!
I had learned *how* to start it with years of experience of it's quirky ways.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This morning, at a not very damp and chilly 04:50, before starting I gave the throttle a full twist-then she started first poke of the starter-carb still needs to be looked at over the weekend though
Ray

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
blooming thing playing up, not her fault was knocked over by nice peeps whilst on a night shift, call from the cops at 0630 whilst attempting to kip on the train.
Bars a bit out of line and battery nearly flat.....then it started

back to bad starting, so i set the pilot screw to swiss, that helped
so i fitted a new plug which flooded straight away

the carb is coming off next week for a factory reset, then ??? petrol and a match?
cheers
Ray

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had the same problem recently seems like a fuel starvation, sprayed some stater fluid and it tried starting for some time. So I decided to clean (overhauled) carb. Upon checking the jetting, pilot jet seems to be clog after replacing them motor works normal again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I managed to get time to strip and clean the carb, spray cleaner and thin copper wire.
reset the air screw and the float height was a bit low, it restarted so i warmed her up and it took an age to restart-then when trying later -the battery flattend

I can`t afford to sell and buy something else(xmas is expensive) and I have to leave for work at odd hours(0450 at times)as I had a spare battery from my ntv, it tried it under the seat to see if it fitted, it does,
I now have a dual battery system, I connected live (batt 1 is the orig) batt 1 to the bikes live and ran a wire from batt 2`s live to batt`s 1 live
I then connected the neutral from batt 2 directly to the bikes earth, i then connected bat 1 to batt 2 via the neutral posts

this give me 12 volts but over double the amps and it uses both batterys to be use correctly, its started so far, i`m off to work tomorrow so we will see from there

I have quite a weak spark so my next task is to see if I can fit a stick coil I have purchased- it has a very low ohm rating so I need to increase that otherwise I may fry the ecu

Ray

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Flipping waste of time that was, stupid thing, went to go to work at 11:50 am and it would not start- i then had to remove the airbox,the plug(v wet) turn it over and fit my spare second batt

started then cos it was scared after the naughty words I used and threats of violence

Ray

I will strip the coil and clean the contacts then replace the wire with new in the morning, If it starts at around midnight when I get back to it

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hope you got home ok. Very unusual to have such problems with a Burgman. Still, if you have done the carb and changed the spark plug, the coil might be next logical step. I had cars that didn't like morning dew. They got wet in the distributor just sittng. Since there is no distributor, think of whatever else there is that could get dew in it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The coil is coming off in the morning, I will clean everything and replace the plug lead, I will also disconnect and remake all connections that I can get to, when you break and remake you clean them, I will probably use silicone grease as well

Cheers
Ray

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
flipping thing ran the batts down, coughed and then bugger all
found some jumpleads and a kind workman
home 2hrs late

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This morning I cleaned the coil and replaced the plug lead, still flipping nothing-no start
I used easystart
I will try and test the auto choke/fuel enrichment circuit dohickey over the next few days

A not happy ray

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today I removed the carb again, I removed the electric choke thing and tested it......it works-bugger thought me
then I set the air screw to 2 3/4 out std is about 1 1/2-then I checked a few connectors etc and fixed a small hole in the zorst, it started so I ran it up to temp and switched it off, restarted and went for a little ride, then switched off, so 2 hrs later it would not start!!!!! then after collecting the kids it started
I`m going to give it a go at 7am tomorrow
wish me luck
Ray

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It appears I have an aftermarket exhaust, poss an arrow-i fink i may need to richen it a lot-i may go up to 4 or 5 turns in the morning
Ray

1 - 20 of 25 Posts