Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of loading up my 650 with GIVI Trekker top and side boxes , specifically top 46 and side 33 . My worry is stability at high speed and wind resistance in general . any thoughts ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
TheReaper said:
I am thinking of loading up my 650 with GIVI Trekker top and side boxes , specifically top 46 and side 33 . My worry is stability at high speed and wind resistance in general . any thoughts ?
e

I have a similar setup. Rode all the way across Australia, passing road trains and into head winds and cross winds. No problems encountered. Highest passing speed around 85 MPH. We averaged about 60 MPH overall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One more thing. Average fuel consumption varied greatly according to speed. The best was 6L per 100 Km (42 MPG).

I also had a bed roll and rucksack tied on the back seat which probably added some wind resistance.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
you should be just fine, I have been running a set of side cases and a top box on my std 04 650 without any issues.

your mpg will not suffer either, mine has stayed the same, was even better when I had a smaller top box on there

If you have owned bikes with saddle bags before, it will feel very normal, if you haven't, it will take you a week or so
to get used to them.

Make sure you load balance them when going on long trips and stuff them to the max.

Reset your rear suspension to account for the added weight, I run in position 3 for everyday around town riding,
switch to position 4-5 when touring depending on the load.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys that’s what I wanted , information from those who actually have been there and done that . :thumbup:

TheReaper!

·
Registered
10 Posts
TheReaper said:
Thanks guys that’s what I wanted , information from those who actually have been there and done that . :thumbup:

TheReaper!
Is that you, Joe Black? Added to your scooter collection?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
waynevb said:
TheReaper said:

TheReaper!
Is that you, Joe Black? Added to your scooter collection?
YUP ! it be me , now I have all the great scooters . The Big Ruckus , the Tmax and now a 650 Burg . :thumbup: :cheers:
Let the Burg farkle begin . :lol:

Yours truly .....TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I did notice that my Givi E-41's had an effect on a bike. They were originally mounted on a V-Strom 650 (that I am in the process of selling). When I first mounted them I found that my front end on the bike felt light at freeway speeds. Turned out that all V-Stroms had trouble with the front end catching wind and wanted to fly at highway speeds as set up from the factory (the new 2013's were fixed for this problem). I had to raise the forks in the triple trees by almost an inch which resolved the problem. I also added a fork brace to give the front end further stability.

On the Burgman, I don't foresee problems like this as the front forks aren't overly long and the body of the bike doesn't seem like it is trying to fly like my V-Strom did. As to gas milage, I didn't see but a 1-2mpg drop with the bags on or off. Don't expect much difference on the Burgman either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
never had a bagger before i got kiwi daves brackets and some e41s. never even got concerned about anything being different. just kept riding. no problems or anything. absolutely love the setup. the top flaps on the e41s are so convenient.

·
Registered
186 Posts
One Question about gas Fill Door

How do you access it with the side bags mounted? Never seen a picture of how that works.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Re: One Question about gas Fill Door

Steve H. said:
How do you access it with the side bags mounted? Never seen a picture of how that works.
You simply remove the bag, fuel up, and put it back on again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too use kiwi dave's side case mounts for GIVI. I use the E21's, which are smaller, but the top case is a GIVI E470, which is pretty large.
I find that removing the case to access the fuel filler is not a big deal at all. I did notice a slight difference in handling in the wind with
all those cases installed UNTIL I added a set of Baker "air wings" They divert air so well, that I don't believe the side cases are in the
air stream any more. What's more, the mileage picked up after the air wing installation has completely offset the reduction from
air drag. I used to get 50 to 60 MPG, but now routinely get 52. I can't complain. I love all the storage. I once had a tank bag
but never use it anymore. It did look cool, but the hard side cases changed my mind.

Go for it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Which BakerBuilt Airwing set did you order. I see none for our bikes (Burgman 650)?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
needtoride62 said:
I too use kiwi dave's side case mounts for GIVI.
I find that removing the case to access the fuel filler is not a big deal at all.
I bought a used set and have a question. Do you have to push down on the fuel door when opening to keep it from hitting the latch tab on the side case mounts? When I installed them on my bike I have to.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
MJR said:
I bought a used set and have a question. Do you have to push down on the fuel door when opening to keep it from hitting the latch tab on the side case mounts? When I installed them on my bike I have to.
With properly installed case mounts, the fuel door should swing open without hitting anything.
you can add a small washer at the top where they connect to the handlebar to compensate for that.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
LeDude said:
MJR said:
With properly installed case mounts, the fuel door should swing open without hitting anything.
you can add a small washer at the top where they connect to the handlebar to compensate for that.
Dave's setup is pretty basic, spacers at the top, remove reflector at the bottom. At the top of the fuel door is where it hits the side case latching tab unless door in pushed down while opening.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
MJR said:
Dave's setup is pretty basic, spacers at the top, remove reflector at the bottom. At the top of the fuel door is where it hits the side case latching tab unless door in pushed down while opening.
Try removing the fuel door and reinstalling it, just two small bolts... could do the trick.
you can shave a bit off the provided spacers to gain additional clearance at the top.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
LeDude said:
Try removing the fuel door and reinstalling it, just two small bolts... could do the trick.
you can shave a bit off the provided spacers to gain additional clearance at the top.
Already played with the spacers, no change, fuel door already looks too low. Per chance it you latch tab bent up at the outside? It looks like 1/8" to 3/16" of an inch or so is what it would take to clear. Nice fuel cap!

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
MJR said:
Already played with the spacers, no change, fuel door already looks too low. Per chance it you latch tab bent up at the outside? It looks like 1/8" to 3/16" of an inch or so is what it would take to clear. Nice fuel cap!
that's my little filler up helper, the white PVC pipe connector.

Have the handlebars ever been removed and reinstalled, could be a slight adjustment in the way they were seated, I know there is a bit of wiggle room there.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
LeDude said:
that's my little filler up helper, the white PVC pipe connector.
Thought so just made it look like a little better than a sock in the filler. :lol: A home built version of this http://www.mccuff.com/. I just hold the nozzle and vapor boot (a California thing) back by hand.

LeDude said:
Have the handlebars ever been removed and reinstalled, could be a slight adjustment in the way they were seated, I know there is a bit of wiggle room there.
Handlebars? I assume the person I bought them off on eBay used them. I don't have any side bags yet but I just ordered a set of the Kappa K21N's (same as the Givi E21 so I've read somewhere) for $153 shipped so I'll be trying them out when I get them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts