Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, went for my second ride on the grand Blue Ridge Parkway in VA today. All was well until my buddie on a Gold Wing decided it was time to get off to check out a resort. It was a right hand turn which turned out to be a switch back most easily accessed from the opposite direction. There were dozens of cars parked from the turn on down the road for about 50 yards on both sides and one headed our way. My buddy crossed the double line at a near stop and I cut tighter but nearly rear ended him necessitating a stop. Of course I grabbed the front brake and the bike continued to the right and tipped over as I stepped off but couldn't get secure footing in time to keep it from laying down slowly on my leg. No damage to me but the end of the front brake lever snapped at the ball.
Stuff happens, right?
I doubt that I'll miss the ball end but it looks lousy. Can this metal be epoxied or should I buy the lever and replace?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You can get after market levers for $15 or so. But look at it carefully, mine came with six positions on the adjuster, whereas the oem only has five. It's fine as I'm not picky, but it's not quite the same.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The reach of the first after market lever which I bought was to long, and couldn't be adjusted to a comfortable position.

My luck was that my mechanic had a master cylinder hanging on the wall with a genuine Suzuki lever and was willing to swap levers for $15.

The curse of ill-fitting, cheaply made pattern parts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll look forward or leftward to the next switchback for completion of the customization process.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
It's interesting to me that I saw your post tonight after having the front brake lever of my k7 400 break in half this evening. I was turning left at maybe 8 mph in a parking lot when the rear wheel started to slip out to the right. I countered by turning to the right when the tire decided to grip the asphalt and I did a quick tip to the right side at 180 degrees from the original direction and went down. Bruised elbow and hip, no biggy but the helmet took a whack and saved me a trip to the hospital guaranteed. The brake lever just broke in half with a scratch here and there on the Burger.
It was drizzling all day, the tires were cold but I could not figure out why I went down because I had made that turn much faster in the rain before with no problem at all. I ran the sole of my non-skid shoes on the asphalt and it was as slippery as ice. Bingo! It was only last week that the asphalt was topped off. All that oil must have come to the surface and with such a light drizzle was not washed away at all. Lesson learned. It never occurred to me that I was riding on thin ice (so to speak). Anyway,here is the silver lining...Last year I bought a barely used Front Brake system complete with the brake lever which over the winter I polished to a high luster with grits up to 2000. Lucky me! Lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
I park my bike in the back and ride over grass to get to the pavement. One morning I wasn't thinking and the grass was wet. I swear one moment I was riding my cycle and the next I was trying to ride a rabid squirrel. Needless to say in less than a second I was on the ground wondering what the heck happened looking around to see if anyone saw it. Nothing hurt but my pride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts