Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to all the U.S. members of the forum.

Since I have family coming in from out of town, I won't be riding during the holidays... just as well though; people getting that tryptophan in them from the turkey could make them fall asleep at the wheel... not to mention the effect of alcohol... so I'm just not going to trust the other drivers on the roads this year.

Be safe & ride safe!!

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
Flying out in about 2 hrs to Idaho. Taking "pocket rockets" along in case it's a dry state.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Respectably submitted:

[The text below has been taken directly from a proclamation by George
Washington, establishing one particular day of Thanksgiving in 1789. The
original spelling and punctuation have been retained.]

General Thanksgiving
By The President Of The United States of America,

A Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the Providence of
Almighty God - to obey his will - to be grateful for his benefits - and
humbly to implore his protection and favour: And whereas both Houses have, by their joint committee, requested me "to recommend to the people of the United States, a DAY of PUBLICK THANKSGIVING and PRAYER, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favours of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

NOW THEREFORE, I do recommend and assign THURSDAY, the TWENTY-SIXTH DAY of NOVEMBER next, to be devoted by the people of these States, to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be: That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks for his kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation, for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favourable interpositions of his Providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; - for the great degree of tranquility, union and plenty, which we have since enjoyed; - for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish Constitutions of Government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted; and in general, for all the great and various favours which
he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

And also, That we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions; - to enable us all, whether in publick or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us); and to bless them with good government, peace and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and generally,
to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity
as he alone knows to be best.

GIVEN under my hand, at the city of New-York,
the third day of October, in the year of our Lord,
one thousand seven hundred and eighty-nine.

George Washington

FOURTH THURSDAY OF EACH NOVEMBER ~~

President Abraham Lincoln's Proclamation in 1863:

It is the duty of nations as well as of men to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God; to confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon; and to recognize the sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations are blessed whose God is the Lord.

We know that by His divine law, nations, like individuals, are subjected to punishments and chastisements in this world. May we not justly fear that the awful calamity of civil war which now desolates the land may be a punishment inflicted upon us for presumptuous sins, to the needful end of our national reformation as a whole people?

We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of heaven; we have been preserved these many years in peace and prosperity; we have grown in numbers, wealth and power as no other nation has ever grown.

But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us, and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us.

It has seemed to me fit and proper that God should be solemnly, reverently, and gratefully acknowledged, as with one heart and one voice, by the whole American people. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November as a day of Thanksgiving and praise to our beneficent Father Who dwelleth in the Heavens.

President Abraham Lincoln

·
Registered
409 Posts
Happy T day to all. Paul, there was a man here in Cleveland known as Mr. Turkey. Every year he would be on local tv and show how to carve a turkey a "special" way. I've copied his method and its the best. I actually enjoy carving the turkey. BTW, half the fun is munching while carving.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Randy said:
Happy Thanksgiving l
--As far as carving, I enjoy letting others do it.. :lol:
I've always been a "motor" kind of guy:
Motorized bikes,
Motorized boats,
Motorized planes,
and for Thanksgiving... Motorized carving knives!

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Happy Thanks Giving to ALL!
:D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Edwljoseph said:
Happy T day to all. Paul, there was a man here in Cleveland known as Mr. Turkey. Every year he would be on local tv and show how to carve a turkey a "special" way. I've copied his method and its the best. I actually enjoy carving the turkey. BTW, half the fun is munching while carving.
I did my best... Had to eat some of the ugly pieces that I messed up while carving... Couldn't serve those to the guests afterall... :roll:

Someone at the dinner table asked how I carved the Turkey. I said "I just stuck it into one of those food processors". :wink:

Anyway, every one seemed to have a great time, even the little monsters (grandchildren). And that's all that matters!

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Happy turkey day to all ....

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
HELP!! my jeans are too tight! I over ate. :lol:

Hope everyone had a great day. and for those that didn't celebrate, i hope you still had a good day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts