Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking it would be easy to configure a rack for the rear bag and the side bags if desired, that would mount with bolts into the handrails of the Burgman 650 Executive. It could then be easily removed with only 4 bolts or clevis pins depending on the mounting design. This would not interfere with the passengers sitting or holding area. My question is "How strong are those handrails?" I see people use them as hook points for transporting. Any thoughts or specs? :?:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I can't speak for the 650 but I know on my 400 they are quite strong and would assume they are the same on the 650.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
They seem to be very strong and they are attached through the panels to the frame.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
It depends. Are you talking about mounting them to the threaded holes on the bottom of the hand rails. If so I would not trust those to hold much weight.

If I were going to do something like this I would make flat brackets that would fit under the mounting points for the handrails. I would then remove the handrails set the brackets in place then put the handrails back and bolt through both of them.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Despite how solid the handholds feel, they are just ABS plastic. Also, where they actually meet with the rest of the bike is much smaller than what it would appear from the outside. I recommend removing one of them to see for yourself how much they can hold. Regardless, I've never heard of one breaking!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just wondering djb383, when you did this, did you remember to say "Hey y'all, watch this!" ? :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
That's 3 years ago, according to the date stamp.....why/how I remembered taking the pic 3 years ago is beyond me....at least that's what the wifey says. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
I would think the rail screws on the underside would work. They are about *1/4" dia thread (6mm)

What do you plan to carry that would weight so much they may break?

If you are concerned pick up the rear of the scooter with the grab rails and set on it.

*It would take well over 1000 lbs to break one screw even a cheap one.
http://www.almabolt.com/pages/catalog/b ... ensile.htm

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Chet_Benson said:
I would think the rail screws on the underside would work. They are about *1/4" dia thread (6mm)
Those screws may be 6 mm, but the nuts they are screwed into are just pressed up into the plastic and are not that hard to pull out. They are not designed to have weight hanging from them. They are designed to handle a load pulling to the side not down.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Chaplain KC said:
I am thinking it would be easy to configure a rack for the rear bag and the side bags if desired, that would mount with bolts into the handrails of the Burgman 650 Executive. It could then be easily removed with only 4 bolts or clevis pins depending on the mounting design. This would not interfere with the passengers sitting or holding area. My question is "How strong are those handrails?" I see people use them as hook points for transporting. Any thoughts or specs? :?:
the handrails on the 650 are very strong and help in place very solidly, you can watch this video if you want to see how the whole things is put together and comes off the scoot:

[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvDVteCDofw&feature=plcp]Tupperware - Passenger Handrails[/url]

As far as them being strong enough to serve as a support mechanism for saddle bag mounts, the answer is a resounding yes... people have been doing it for a very long time and I have never heard of any failures of any kind.

You can fabricate your own very easily, or you can purchase commercially available made saddle bag mounts... I would recommend Kiwi Dave's if you are going to run Givi bags or the German version of it for other kind of bags, it offers more adjustability with its grooved mounting holes for the mushrooms etc...
Others have adapted rails made for other bikes for the 650.

I have been running a set of Bestem 929s as saddle bags without any issues whatsoever using Kiwi Dave's mounts after I made a few mods to it for the 929s.

if you are a DIYer... you can very easily fabricate your own for next to nothing using off the shelf aluminum bars and a few nuts and bolts.
This DIY should get you started in the right direction:

DIY - Saddle Bag Mounts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, LeDude (of course) is doing what I was wanting to do. I don't want those big 929's on the side necessarily but that is the idea I was looking for. Now I don't understand how you can still get to the fuel door but that can be addressed easily. I suppose the first thing I should do now is find me a nice set of hard bags. I was thinking a nice set of black leather with or without studs would work. Or some HD hard bags from a Road King. Creativity is the key. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Chaplain KC said:
Well, LeDude (of course) is doing what I was wanting to do. I don't want those big 929's on the side necessarily but that is the idea I was looking for. Now I don't understand how you can still get to the fuel door but that can be addressed easily. I suppose the first thing I should do now is find me a nice set of hard bags. I was thinking a nice set of black leather with or without studs would work. Or some HD hard bags from a Road King. Creativity is the key. :thumbup:
I would go with the Givi 21L, they are very utilitarian and can carry quite a bit.
You have to take the bag off when refueling, takes all of 30 seconds for a slow dude like me.
You definitely want detachable bags for ease of refueling.
good luck...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts