Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has just been 3 days since I bought my Burgman Executive 650 2010, and i notice that when i lean with it the handle bar throws itself to the side i lean to. this is something really nice cause it facilitates maneuverability and I didnt feel such mechanism with my 2002 Honda Goldwing nor other bike except the BMW touring 1600 GTL.

I would like to know is there some sort of handlebar balance or front wheel balance responsible for this mechanism? also i feel when leaning to the right the handle bar tends to throw itself more to the right than when i lean to the left as it also throws itself to the left but lesser than the degree it does when leaning to the right, so is there adjustments or what?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It is a function of the front-end geometry, specifically the amount of trail.

from this site:

"Trail is the fore-and-aft distance between the pivot axis of the fork and the center of the contact patch of the front tire at the ground."

a picture is worth 1000 words.

Trail is a function of rake (head angle), fork offset and tire size--more rake increases trail, more fork offset reduces trail, smaller tires also reduce trail. Increasing trail makes a bike more stable (too much will make it hard to steer), reducing trail causes the steering to be "lighter" and exhibits the behaviour you observed with your 650 Burgman.

Cruisers like the Goldwing tend to have longer trail, your BMW was likely designed to be more "sporty" and had less trail. Many older bikes had shorter trail and steering dampers of various sorts to try to get the best of both worlds. Steering dampers are available for many big bikes as aftermarket accessories.

There are no "adjustments" in the sense of some nut, screw, slider, etc. to adjust trail--changing it requires changing one or more of rake, fork offset and/or tire size.

The article I linked above provides a great explanation of motorcycle front-end geometry...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a function of the front-end geometry, specifically the amount of trail.

from this site:

"Trail is the fore-and-aft distance between the pivot axis of the fork and the center of the contact patch of the front tire at the ground."

a picture is worth 1000 words.

Trail is a function of rake (head angle), fork offset and tire size--more rake increases trail, more fork offset reduces trail, smaller tires also reduce trail. Increasing trail makes a bike more stable (too much will make it hard to steer), reducing trail causes the steering to be "lighter" and exhibits the behaviour you observed with your 650 Burgman.

Cruisers like the Goldwing tend to have longer trail, your BMW was likely designed to be more "sporty" and had less trail. Many older bikes had shorter trail and steering dampers of various sorts to try to get the best of both worlds. Steering dampers are available for many big bikes as aftermarket accessories.

There are no "adjustments" in the sense of some nut, screw, slider, etc. to adjust trail--changing it requires changing one or more of rake, fork offset and/or tire size.

The article I linked above provides a great explanation of motorcycle front-end geometry...
Thanks a million cliff for the valuable explanation, but one more question: is feeling the handle bar throws itself more when leaning to the right than when leaning to the left a matter of illusion cause I'm not used to it or is there something that needs to be inspected?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Thanks a million cliff for the valuable explanation, but one more question: is feeling the handle bar throws itself more when leaning to the right than when leaning to the left a matter of illusion cause I'm not used to it or is there something that needs to be inspected?
On a 650, which has a conventional triple-tree type steering head, my first reaction would be that it is illusion--if you feel it's real then it would not hurt to have a good look at the front-end components.

·
Registered
345 Posts
check your front tire psi. what is its reading?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check your front tire psi. what is its reading?
I didn't check the air pressure so far but if it has something to do with that feeling then why would it turn more to the right then it turns to the left?

But possibly u might have a point because my burgman has 9000 miles and is still using factory tires.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Tire wear could certainly cause this as well as you sitting slightly off to the right side of the bike( it doesn't take much of being off line to cause this). I'm assuming this trait is only prevalent when you are riding at slow speed.
You may want to put the bike on the center stand on a level floor and raise up the forks so they are off the ground and check to see you the forks move right and left and see if there is a discernible difference in movement.

Greg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tire wear could certainly cause this as well as you sitting slightly off to the right side of the bike( it doesn't take much of being off line to cause this). I'm assuming this trait is only prevalent when you are riding at slow speed.
You may want to put the bike on the center stand on a level floor and raise up the forks so they are off the ground and check to see you the forks move right and left and see if there is a discernible difference in movement.

Greg
most probably u r right cause at stops i use to put my left leg down so this could make my body unnoticably more towards left and the bike towards right.

I already did the test of the center stand and once i raised the front end the handlebar fell to the left which means throwing itself to the right as i feel is most probably due to my sitting position accompanied by illusiones and tire wear :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bet you have Pirelli tires, they do that. they tend to turn more than you intend/expect.
if you haven't got used to them already then get Bridgestone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts