Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that some of you have mentioned that you have modified your handlebars for 1 inch up and 1 inch back.

Question: I see that Twisted Throttle has an adapter to do this for me but I wonder if my brake lines and wiring to the handlebars are going to fit or does this require new brake lines and wiring extensions? How about the plastic on the base of the handlebars, any modifications needed? Any surprises when doing this mod? I am thinking I would be much more comfortable on my 650 Burgman with this mod.

TIA,
Doug in Kentucky

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I have installed Gemar X102 up and backs (up 1" back 1 3/8") on my Burgmans. You will need to move and/or re-route some of the lines, cables, and maybe round off a corner on the risers. The HB cover will still fit, it will be moved away from the dash.

I would not be able to ride any long distances without them.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I use without issue just take heed of Roy's advice.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
If you don't need the extra height, just the bars moved back toward you then you can use 1 inch up risers and rotate the bars back toward you. Because of the plastic covers you have to raise the bars before you can rotate them back. Otherwise the plastic cover hits the dash. With the 1 inch risers you will not need to make any changes to the cable or wiring routing. The covers will also still look much like they do without the risers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got one of the Twisted Throttle bar risers that move up 1 inch and back 1 inch and used them on a GS500 and a Bandit 650. They made a huge difference in comfort and well worth the $100 price tag.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I now need to think over what I want to do. I do know that I have to reach for the bars now that I have taken the stock riders buttrest off of the seat. I can reach them but I have noticed that it leans me forward a little to do so. The one inch up and rotating the bars back sounds the most attractive to me at the moment.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Administrator
18,359 Posts
Doug, one of the cheap ways I did it on my GS750 when I put some short drag bars on and they were too low and hit the tank, was to go get another set of top bar clamp parts, the ones you put over the handle bar and then two bolts clamp it down. You need some longer bolts too. Turn it upside down, put the handle bars in the U, put your top clamps over the bar and use the longer bolts to clamp it all together. It should raise the bar about 1 inch.

The Gemar X102 and others do have a bar shaped bump that goes into the triple trees mount but is it needed??? I rode my setup for 50,000+ miles riding hard and the bolts held up.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep Dave. That is what I did years ago on my Honda Pacific Coast and if I decide to just raise my bars that is what I will do here on the Suzuki as well. No need to pay $100 for something I can get pretty cheap. You have a source on the longer bolts or is it time for a trip to the hardware store?

·
Administrator
18,359 Posts
Up here we have two good sources for bolts, besides Lowes or Home Depot, I go to Tacoma Screw and High Strength Bolt. Tacoma Screw has stores all over the north west.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Up here we have two good sources for bolts, besides Lowes or Home Depot, I go to Tacoma Screw and High Strength Bolt. Tacoma Screw has stores all over the north west.
Around here I wouldn't even consider Lowes or Home Depot. My first thought is ACE hardware which has a vastly better selection but if I want more I'll go to my local specialty store McFaddendale Hardware.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can trim the front or rear edge of the bar cover with a belt sander, a hand sander or a wheel. Looks OEM when done except its a bit smaller.

I have up and back risers on my 05, no need to mess with cables. They pull somewhat tight then slacken by themselves and they are fine.

Before the risers I rotated the bars forward, i.e. up. Cut down the front edge of the cover. That was nice, the genmars are nicer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts