Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride today and when I stopped I noticed I had lost the left handle bar weight. Don't ask me how it must have fell off along the way. I didn't notice any difference in the handling of the scoot and I'm thinking of just taking off the right one also. Would that cause a problem? Also would ISO grips fit on the Suzuki handle bars?
Terry in AZ.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The purpose of bar end weights is to dampen vibrations in the handlebars. Some bikes really need them, or they will vibrate your hands numb in a rather short time. Both of my Suzuki's have them, but I'm not sure how much they really need them.

A pricey, but very nice looking fix, would be to purchase the Throttlemeister throttle lock kit. That replaces the bar ends with their own very handsome machined aluminum ones.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know how old your bike is but my left one was broken when my wife dropped off the bike at the dealer when I had the battery/charging/seat switch problem. They fixed it under warranty. If you are still under warranty, maybe they would do the same.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
handle bar weight

I lost one of mine too. I'm so big that my hands would creep out
onto the handle bar weight. This must have loosened it. Off it came.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
A while back, I was at the local dealer asking about installing a throttle lock and bought a Cramp Buster. The guy at the dealer noticed the right handle bar weight was loose and tightened it for me. From the comments here, I think I'll pull mine and add a little locktight to keep frrom losing one.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
billmeek said:
A while back, I was at the local dealer asking about installing a throttle lock and bought a Cramp Buster. The guy at the dealer noticed the right handle bar weight was loose and tightened it for me. From the comments here, I think I'll pull mine and add a little locktight to keep frrom losing one.
Good Idea. Think I'll check mine tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: handle bar weight

Monterey10 said:
I lost one of mine too. I'm so big that my hands would creep out
onto the handle bar weight. This must have loosened it. Off it came.
No need to blame yourself. Simple vibration from riding will often loosen them.

I check mine every time I'm about to set off. If one's loose I just twist it tight again. If that doesn't work (sometimes it's too far gone) out comes the Phillips driver from under the seat, and I'm on the road again in minutes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for my handle bar weight, I have been having a problem with it for a while, it was continualy getting loose and I was always trying to tighten it with a phillips screw driver. After loosing the left one I removed the right one and saw that there is a nut that the machine bolt screws into that must be threaded to the bolt in order for it to get tight and stay tight. If it is not threaded it will feel tight but realy is just threaded into the rubber expansion gizmo that holds the weight on. That leaves me with the same question "can I remove both and replace them with the ISO grips?"

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've found that you can get the bar end much tighter but turning it with your hand after you've tightened with a screwdriver.

They do work themselves loose so I do this once a month and find that they can be moved ever so slightly.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I just checked the bar ends on both of my Suzuki's. All were nice and tight. I did not try turning the screws, because if there were Loctite Blue in there, it would break the bond.

Sam, the setup guy at my dealer is reputed to be very thorough. I have not had any problems with the typical bolts going missing, like the centerstand bolts on the AN650 or the rear fender bolts on the DL1000. So I think he does go over the bikes pretty well when he sets them up.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Had the 4000 mile service done recently, note on the service sheet, "handle bar weights loose - tightened", I guess I am kind of pleased that the check included doing these, as it may show that the mech does a proper job.
Regards

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Randal

Thats a good point but they are quite easy to get to and one of the few parts that do not require tupperware oragami!! :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Terry Kiernan said:
...That leaves me with the same question "can I remove both and replace them with the ISO grips?"
I'm not familiar with ISO grips, but I have heard of some Burgman owners replacing their grips with others -- Kuryakin, etc.

I don't see why your choice wouldn't work just as well. Under the plastic sheath the Burgman bars are just plain metal tubes, after all. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I made a set for both my Burgmans out of 6061 aluminum and then had them chromed. They look great and stay put. I used a allen head screw and countersunk it. I have been making barends for Vmaxes and other bikes. I could do them for scooters if anyone may be interested. My buddy makes beautiful billet aluminum barend mirrors also.
Bill

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
ba49 said:
I made a set for both my Burgmans out of 6061 aluminum and then had them chromed. They look great and stay put. I used a allen head screw and countersunk it. I have been making barends for Vmaxes and other bikes. I could do them for scooters if anyone may be interested. My buddy makes beautiful billet aluminum barend mirrors also.
Bill
The bar ends on my Burgman 650 and V-Strom 1000 appear to be identical. I'll bet the same part is used for just about all current Suzuki's that have bar end weights.

If your buddy has a website with pics, PM me with the url (or post it here). I am totally satisfied with the Burgman 650 mirrors, but I hate the ones on my V-Strom, and am currently looking at replacement alternatives.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
I just checked the bar ends on both of my Suzuki's. All were nice and tight. I did not try turning the screws, because if there were Loctite Blue in there, it would break the bond. ...
Neither of mine appear ever to have had Loctite applied. That might not be a bad idea, though.
"Ounce of prevention..." and all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts