Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Hand Guards for 2012 Burgman 400 ABS

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  wjjones 
#1 ·
Hello and Seasons Greetings from a new buyer of a 2012 Burgman 400 ABS. I have a couple of weeks before I take delivery of my bike and I'm thinking of adding the Hand Guards on the bike when it arrives. Anyone out there know the best price and where to get them? And does the installation require a "rocket scientist" to do it or should it be done at a shop? I've seen some hand guards on Ebay but they all say they are for models up to 2011. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advanced for your thoughts and feedback.

#2 ·
The handguards are not hard to install, but I'd be careful buying anything that doesn't specifically say it is only for the 2012 model year. There's several years of silver gray Burgmans, and the paint color is different on each.

Another option you may want, is to buy the Givi Airflow windshield. I can almost guarantee you'll want to change out the OEM windshield. Neither Givi windshield will work with handguards. However, the way the Givi windshields are designed, you get the effect of having handguards. Add the price of any 3rd party windshield and handguards, and you're now at the price of the Givi Airflow.

It might make sense to think about this a bit more.

Chris

#3 ·
I suggest you purchase a Givi adjustable windshield (I think it is a AF266) because you will get two benefits, reduced wind buffeting and guards for your hands.
I have a 400K7 and added the grip guards several years ago and now want to replace my windshield with the Givi adjustable model so to get maximum benefit from the shield will have to remove the grip guards. I think I paid over 100 dollars for the grip guards and had the dealer install them but could have done it myself.
Enjoy your bike.

david s

#4 ·
dsweet said:
I suggest you purchase a Givi adjustable windshield (I think it is a AF266) because you will get two benefits, reduced wind buffeting and guards for your hands.
I have a 400K7 and added the grip guards several years ago and now want to replace my windshield with the Givi adjustable model so to get maximum benefit from the shield will have to remove the grip guards. I think I paid over 100 dollars for the grip guards and had the dealer install them but could have done it myself.
Enjoy your bike.

david s
Thanks for the advice on the Givi AF266. I'll look at that before buying the hand guards. Does the OEM windshield suck that bad?

#5 ·
Daboo said:
The handguards are not hard to install, but I'd be careful buying anything that doesn't specifically say it is only for the 2012 model year. There's several years of silver gray Burgmans, and the paint color is different on each.

Another option you may want, is to buy the Givi Airflow windshield. I can almost guarantee you'll want to change out the OEM windshield. Neither Givi windshield will work with handguards. However, the way the Givi windshields are designed, you get the effect of having handguards. Add the price of any 3rd party windshield and handguards, and you're now at the price of the Givi Airflow.

It might make sense to think about this a bit more.

Chris
Thanks Chris, I guess the OEM windshield isn't very good????

#6 ·
:lol: One of the first posts I made on this forum was asking about the windshield. Yes, it sucks. I had a Kymco Bet&Win 250 before this...a smaller bike...but with the Puig windscreen on it, I could pull right up next to a semi tractor trailer rig and not get buffeting. But I was getting tossed around on this larger scooter. I couldn't figure it out.

Then one night, I was driving on I-5 in the Seattle area and saw a 2007 Burgman 400 just like mine a couple lanes over. Obviously, I had to watch it to see this beautiful bike in action. Even a couple lanes over, I could see the upper corners flexing and folding over as the wind gusts hit it. The feeling I got in riding even on fairly calm days, was as if some big guy came up and gave you a rough shove in the shoulder knocking you off balance. It would move me back quite a bit, and there was no warning to it at all. It was as if that big guy was shoving you while you were blindfolded. I hated it, and I think most others do too.

I didn't like the regular Givi windscreen. On the bike I tried it on, it seemed like the air just didn't move behind the windshield. It was stifling to me, especially in the hot summer. I found a stop-gap solution...that ended up being permanent...was the Saeng Micro-Swirl Edging. The used edging looks like new and is cheap. I don't know if the claims they make really happened, but it stiffened the OEM windshield enough that when 7Jurock and CeeBailey came out, I didn't feel a need to buy a new windshield. In the interests of full-disclosure, I was given a Givi Airflow windshield to try and write a review on. I did, under the condition that I could call it like I saw it. I took a couple day trip going around the North Cascades Highway and loved it. When I sold the 2007 400 and bought the 2008 400, that was one of the mods I knew was getting moved to the new bike without a doubt.

The OEM windscreen shape is great as it is. But the material is just too thin and flexible. If you want to see how it could've been...park next to a 2006 or earlier 400 and you'll be amazed at the difference.

If you look at either Givi windshield, you'll see where the windshield flares out at the bottom. That interferes with the hand guards when you turn the handlebars. But you don't lose anything for hand protection with them. With either Givi windshield, that flared out portion does just as good at protecting your hands as the hand guards do.

One nice thing about the Givi Airflow, is the versatility of it. You can adjust the windshield for height in seconds without tools...or take it off completely. No other windshield will do that for you.

Chris

#7 ·
Well, I posted once and upon coming back, don't see it. My apologies of I end up on here twice. I wanted to put another vote in for the Givi Airflow. I give it the same accolades already mentioned. Although it is more expensive, after you put out $100 for hand guards, you've made up the difference between it and other aftermarket windshields. It certainly makes a huge difference, particularly at higher speeds.

#8 ·
Daboo said:
:lol: One of the first posts I made on this forum was asking about the windshield. Yes, it sucks. I had a Kymco Bet&Win 250 before this...a smaller bike...but with the Puig windscreen on it, I could pull right up next to a semi tractor trailer rig and not get buffeting. But I was getting tossed around on this larger scooter. I couldn't figure it out.

Then one night, I was driving on I-5 in the Seattle area and saw a 2007 Burgman 400 just like mine a couple lanes over. Obviously, I had to watch it to see this beautiful bike in action. Even a couple lanes over, I could see the upper corners flexing and folding over as the wind gusts hit it. The feeling I got in riding even on fairly calm days, was as if some big guy came up and gave you a rough shove in the shoulder knocking you off balance. It would move me back quite a bit, and there was no warning to it at all. It was as if that big guy was shoving you while you were blindfolded. I hated it, and I think most others do too.

I didn't like the regular Givi windscreen. On the bike I tried it on, it seemed like the air just didn't move behind the windshield. It was stifling to me, especially in the hot summer. I found a stop-gap solution...that ended up being permanent...was the Saeng Micro-Swirl Edging. The used edging looks like new and is cheap. I don't know if the claims they make really happened, but it stiffened the OEM windshield enough that when 7Jurock and CeeBailey came out, I didn't feel a need to buy a new windshield. In the interests of full-disclosure, I was given a Givi Airflow windshield to try and write a review on. I did, under the condition that I could call it like I saw it. I took a couple day trip going around the North Cascades Highway and loved it. When I sold the 2007 400 and bought the 2008 400, that was one of the mods I knew was getting moved to the new bike without a doubt.

The OEM windscreen shape is great as it is. But the material is just too thin and flexible. If you want to see how it could've been...park next to a 2006 or earlier 400 and you'll be amazed at the difference.

If you look at either Givi windshield, you'll see where the windshield flares out at the bottom. That interferes with the hand guards when you turn the handlebars. But you don't lose anything for hand protection with them. With either Givi windshield, that flared out portion does just as good at protecting your hands as the hand guards do.

One nice thing about the Givi Airflow, is the versatility of it. You can adjust the windshield for height in seconds without tools...or take it off completely. No other windshield will do that for you.

Chris
Thanks Chris!!! Much appreciated and excellent advice!

#9 ·
Scooter_Maniac said:
Well, I posted once and upon coming back, don't see it. My apologies of I end up on here twice. I wanted to put another vote in for the Givi Airflow. I give it the same accolades already mentioned. Although it is more expensive, after you put out $100 for hand guards, you've made up the difference between it and other aftermarket windshields. It certainly makes a huge difference, particularly at higher speeds.
Thanks for the advice and now I'm sold on getting a new Givi Airflow! Your advice is very appreciated!

#11 · (Edited)
(Bring a old thread back)

I have a Givi AF 266 Windscreen - but it does not help keep my hands warm. - by the way it is GREAT - best thing we got for our AN400!
I have tried a number of gloves and not found any that work - for me - down to 40-46F range.

I wonder if the Suzuki Hand Guards will work with the Givi Screen on?
(No interference)

I may just give in and get Heated Grips or Electric Gloves!

Here it is May 21 and it was only 45 this AM in Central Ohio

The one video of a older 400 showed the person having to cut off some of the HandGuards with a Dremel - I am not going to do that If I pay 14X.00 for them!
That is the only video or pic's I can find on installing them.

#12 ·
(Bring a old thread back)

I wonder if the Suzuki Hand Guards will work with the Givi Screen on?
(No interference)

The one video of a older 400 showed the person having to cut off some of the HandGuards with a Dremel - I am not going to do that If I pay 14X.00 for them!
That is the only video or pic's I can find on installing them.
The hand guards interfere with the AF. I took them off to change out the windshield on my wife's 400. I suppose some cutting on the handguards could have worked but, I didn't try that. In any case, wind or no wind, cold is cold. She's got and likes her electric grips although, she does little cold weather riding. I got an electric jacket liner and gloves and, love them.

#13 ·
Thanks.

I think I will go with electric Gloves.

I have tried a few pair from local MotorCycle Shops (Including Iron Pony) and at least 5 pair from Gander Mountain <- they kindly let me try them and return if not good enough)

But can only ride down to 48F with the best I found.

#14 ·
This winter I finally broke down & bought some
pricy ( for my budget ) Joe Rocket Burner
battery operated electric gloves...about $150.
Charged up the batteries when I got them,
put them on, & waited for the 'heat'.
Couldn't feel any warmth...got a bit discusted.
Several days later, it was 42 degrees when it
was time for me to go to work...about 12 miles...
half of that at freeway speeds.
When I got to work, I realized that my fingers
were not numb....didn't feel any real 'heat',
but for the first time all winter, my fingers
were not numb....so I'm happy with the result.
The Joe Rocket Burner heated gloves have
3 heat settings...about 2 & 1/2 hours
on High....4 hours on Low.

#15 ·
I also tried some battery operated gloves but, wasn't satisfied. Not enough heat when cranked up and, they didn't hold up. Got some wired ones this winter and they will got HOT if turned all the way up.

#16 ·
I'm a bit late to the party, but I have some input if people are still tuning in.

I have used Gerbings heated gloves for years. They use 12V and connect to the bike. The thing is, my hands never feel warm when I'm using them, but ther're not cold either. I have tried gloves with attached lithium batteries, but they were very poor in performance compare to the wired-in type, and the batteries didn't last more than a couple hours. If you're on a long trip...

I haven't used my Gerbings on my new B400, but I already wired the connection to the battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.