Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put new hand grips on? I keep looking at the fatter, foam type to put on. The stock ones seem a little narrow for me. The dealer can order just about anything and he tried to talk me into a foam covering for the stock grips. He tried to describe how to install new grips and really wanted to sock it to me as he thought maybe I should just have the service department install whatever I wanted at $65 an hour. :twisted:
Tough luck. I installed the Corbin seat today and I am ready to install anything! Any suggestions for grip ideas would be appreciated. I don't need heated grips as the dealer tried real hard to sell me here in July!

Kelly

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
My Summer riding gloves, which are a perforated leather for cooling, have gel pads built into the palms. Does the trick. My Winter gloves are bulky anyway. So the stock grips are fine even though I have big hands.

Just an alternative approach.

P.S. The Summer gloves are made by Olympia.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I have really long fingers, and long but not wide palms. I found that long rides on the 650 gave me cramps in my right hand. I was going to look at bigger grips until I added a Throttle Rocker. Now everything's better, but I may still do it. My dealer carries several brands, and I especially liked some of the Kuryakin models.

I wear gloves every time I ride, even in hot weather. If I fall, I don't want to be donating to a reconstructive surgeon's retirement fund. I got nice deerskin short gauntlets that cover my hands and wrists up to the point where my jacket or shirt cuffs take over. (The day I picked up my 650 I didn't yet have gloves, and got sunburned on the backs of my hands. Ouch!)

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Kelly, I like fat grips also. I put Jahar sport bike foam grips on my bikes. They cost $6-$10 and seem to hold up well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
HI KELLY
I ALSO GOT CRAMPS WITH THE SMALLER DIA. GRIPS ON THE
BURG 650. I WENT TO THE LARGER FOAM GRIPS AND NO MORE CRAPS-
GIVE THEM A TRY AFTER ALL WE ARE ONLY TALKING $10.
GOOD LUCK
L.SKI

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Kelly, after seeing Roy's Jahar foam grips recently I ordered a pair from my dealer...$5.95....and they are the most comfortable I've ever used. Prior to this I had gone thru several pairs of diff kinds. Grips take only a few min to change:

I use a long thin screwdriver to push up under the grip, at several spots, wriggling around, to loosen up existing glue that Suzuki used. If really tight, I squirt some silicone up under the screwdriver blade and start twisting the grip and it will break free. Clean the bar thoroughly, squirt a little hair spray up the grip and slide it on. After the hair spray drys...best to leave it overnite...they will stay firm.

If you haven't tried the throttle rocker (the type that velco's on) give it a try. It seems so natural fitting the base of your palm that you can ride without much finger pressure on the grip. I glued a thin piece of foam on mine for comfort and cooling as I found the plastic made my hand sweat.
$10-11 at local dealer.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Kelly, whoops....forgot to tell you that the throttle grip has a nylon sleeve that you may need to remove and file, cut, or sand the thin ridge that is molded on it up near the housing. Just loosen the couple of screws on the housing and pull the sleeve off. You'll see when you get the grips off. If you need more info, email me direct. I'm guessing that Suzuki put these on to "keep the grip from coming off"....another liability issue.

Cheers....

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Grips

A nice, but expensive grips are the ones sold for BMW motorcycles.
They're contoured to the riders hands. They also have ribs so the
air will circulate under the riders palms. These grips are designed
to work with heat, so there's no worry there. They're not for
everyone, but will give you another option.

I have giant hands, and was surprised that the larger foam grips
hurt my hands. I don't know why, but it was just an observation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts