Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! This is a great forum! I found it while surfing for burger 400 issues last week.

I've had an 03 400 (blue, all the silvers were gone) for a week now and I put 97 miles on her riding around New York. I am from Astoria, Queens. On only two occasions, when riding home from the dealer last week and again last night, the burger's engine shut off while riding! On both occassions, I had just come off the highway onto local streets and was coasting at around 10-20 MPH with no throttle when the engine stopped. I pulled to the side and she started up with no problems and continued riding with no incidents. The first time it happened, I assumed that maybee it was the engine break-in. Should I be concerned? Should I immediately take her back to the dealer? On both nights it was chilly at around 45 degrees f. Could the chilly weather be to blame. The second time, I remember riding over some bumps, could the sidestand have moved enough to cut off the engine. Has anyone else experienced this? BTW, I let her warm up for about 2 minutes before each ride. Should I let her warm up longer? Finally, I do go over the recommended rpms for short bursts. Could that be it?

I look forward to hearing from you, thanks for the great forum.

Jimmy K.
03 Blue 450 (no name yet!)

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Welcome Jimmy K,
I had a 400 and never could remember that happening. I would (or have the dealer) check the idle, it may be low.

How many miles on it?

If it a new 400 (rare for an 03), exceeding the RPM in short bursts should pose no problem, and I think is best to do that, (depends who you talk to). When I brought mine home, I drove it as normal, 55-66 mph a mile or 2 at a time, with small towns in between (30 mph). When I traded it in @ 3,000, it was still getting stronger, and didn't burn any oil. One thing we all agree on is, Vary the rpm, and don't hold the throttle steady for a long time (5 miles or so).

If it has about a 1,000 miles on it, was the 600 mile service done? (Fluid change and Tappit adjustment)

If a few thousand miles on it, it should be fairly broke in, RPM and throttle position should't be an issue.

I warm up all my machines by driving them easy, as opposed to idling for a long time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim,

It's a brand new left over model. THe 97 miles on it I've accrued from last Tuesday evening until last night.

Jimmy

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Welcome Jim,
Do have your dealer look at it. doe not sound like anymore then already noted -idle set-
Astoria Queens :lol: Brings back thoughts of my youth in Jackson Heights.
That was another life in a different world. :wink:

·
Registered
611 Posts
It shouldn't be the sidestand switch - because the engine would restart on it's own as long as the transmission is engaged and the key is on.

I'd suspect the idle setting. Have the dealer check it if it's convenient - otherwise you can adjust it yourself.

If it dies again and the transmission is engaged - then roll the throttle on a bit and see if it restarts itself. If not - then you may have a loose wire somewhere. It would be worth checking your spark plug cap to make sure it is on tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THanks everybody. I called the dealer and he said "bring her in". I can't tonight though. I may do some more test riding along local roads to see if I could replicate the event. My biggest fear, of course is a highway stall. I gonna intentionally cut the engine while traveling, pull in the brake to start...just to see how much I have to pull her in.

Anyway. Thanks again. Doesn't sound serious.

-Jimmy K

·
Registered
611 Posts
Stalling at speed doesn't present a problem. The transmission will drag and cause yout to slow - but it's nothing like jamming a chain or locking a disc brake or anything...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My 400 K3 has stalled 5-6 times in 4k miles, always at idle and always immediately after starting. Other than that, never. I'd bring 'er in and get 'er done.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My 400 stalled for the first time last week. I had about 1000 miles on it. I was turning into of all things the dealer when she suddenly died. I had no trouble starting the scoot up but was concerned because I had no power in the middle of a turn in traffic. When I told the mechanic he rode it around and checked the idle and of course it did not stall then. He said that sometimes bikes will do that esp. if coming off the interstate for some reason.

Yes I did have the 600 mile service. So good-luck to all of us and hopefully it won't happen again.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Jimmy,

Don't cut the engine while riding. The clutch will be engaged and you will only be shutting off the spark. Expect a loud bang when you turn the spark back on, do that enough and the pipe will split.
The idle screw is right on top of the throttle body just give it 1/16th of a turn. Anybody can do it, save the trip to the dealer for another time.

Thanx,
Russ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys are the absolute best. Thanks a million...

Jimmy K

·
Registered
611 Posts
Because the Burgmans are electronicaslly fuel injected, the fuel also stops if you cut the ignition (unlike a carbureted engine). I tested mine at 45mph months ago because I was curios about how the transmission drag would be in the event of an engine failure. It was maybe a little more drag than just cutting the throttle totally, but no big deal. And the engine restarted much smoother than dropping a regular motorcycle into 3rd gear at that speed. No pop at all.
I've wondered about being able to push start a Burgman that had a weak battery - but I don't think I can run fast enough. For that occasion I have little jumper cables to use to jump off of another motorcycle (it's best not to jump start any vehicle, but if you do then you want to use a vehicle with a similarly sized battery).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Guys,

You can not push start a twist and go scooter as far as I know. The crank has to spin to at least the engagement speed of the clutch. Once it is engaged it will stay engaged until the clutch reaches it's stall speed.

Thanx,
Russ

·
Registered
806 Posts
My B400 had the stalling problem when purchased, but ONLY on other gasoline besides Shell. If I ran Shell it had no problems.

Nevertheless, the book calls for an idle speed of "1400-1600RPM." Using the tach on the bike, I put some "non-Shell" gas in the bike and set the idle to "just above" 1400RPM. Since I fill up w/Shell 99% of the time, the idle sits at about 1600RPM, the higher side of normal.

If you can use a screwdriver and read a bit, the idle speed is a very easy thing to set.

·
Registered
806 Posts
On "non-Shell" gas, mine would sit at a stopsign and start "coughing" until if finally would cough itself into a stall. Quite embarressing on a brand new ride. But the idle adjustement screw is HUGE and hard to miss on the throttle body. It's pretty easy to get to as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
jump start

Robert said:
(it's best not to jump start any vehicle, but if you do then you want to use a vehicle with a similarly sized battery).
Actually you can jump start from a regular car/truck battery safely as long as the car/truck is not running. :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts