Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Had accident in back yard

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  DougInKY 
#1 ·
Just not my day today. Had reversed scooter onto path at back of house I just moved into a month ago. Gave it a bit of gas to go around the path, must have given it too much slid across the grass smack in the side of the raised concrete pond. Smashed all the upper front side and the bumper of the front tire is all smashed too. Can't believe how much damage there is. Groan, just hope insurance will fix it. Got a $500 deductible to pay but that is minor. It all happened so quickly too. I was so looking forward to a ride too. Just not the ride I had in mind. Got onto the insurance company and they will have to send an adjustor out to check it out. Can't even move the bike, got it upright but that is it. Jeesh, what a way to start off the New Year. Sally

#2 ·
As long as thats all the damage, none to you is a good thing. It happens. Pictures? Sorry Sally, I had to ask. :twisted:

#4 · (Edited)
well if sympathy loves company my poor KLR is on it's side in Australia with a bunch of wimpy girls who

a) knocked it over
b) can't lift it ....

fortunately it was in storage mode - no seat, no gas no battery and it's got a few love marks from my adventures in the mud - not always upright.

Grass will get ya.

Fortunately my so far pristine 2009 650 is hibernating in th garage away from the slippy stuff outside.

Ouch on damage
Good on it's just the bike and pride ;)

I must admit your title sounds a bit scatological :D

#5 ·
I have experienced the same thing as all you need is some wet grass or mud under the wheel, then a little throttle is all thats needed to do an 180 in the amount of time it takes to say "oh shoot". In my case the mud was under leaves on the side of the road and the only thing hurt was my pride. I hope you get your 400 back on the road soon.

#7 ·
Sorry to hear about that. I know you have been without one for a while. Hope it all works out for you.

#8 ·
MacDoc, no, no poop involved thank heavens. I did swear and use some colourful language and threw my gloves on the grass. Adjustor is coming out tomorrow to look at the damage. I will take photos when I get home from work. If it is still light enough to do so. Just hoping as I said before that it is repairable. My daughters are sure not going to be happy, they don't like me having the scooter and this will raise their argument for not having one again. oh well, such is life.
Could have been worse, maybe the angels tried to stop me leaving the back yard for a reason.
Sally.

#9 ·
Gotta listen to those angels, Sally. Sorry they had to yell so loud to get your attention, but at least they kept you from something worse out on the road.

#10 ·
Sorry to hear of your mishap Salley. Grass and such can bite you before you know what's happening. Wet grass is even worse. Been there, done that. You are not alone.

Good luck with the insurance people.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

#11 ·
Sorry to hear about your bike, but glad you were not hurt.

My only tip-over in the past 10 years was when I was backing my old V-Strom off the covered patio behind my house. The patio is all level until the last section when there is a 4 inch step off to the right side. Sure enough, I wasn't paying attention and put my right foot down onto.... air. By the time my foot hit solid ground, the bike was already doing it's Titanic imitation leaning 45 degrees to the right. Too late. Gently set it down with just a few scratches and a bruised ego.

Just when you least expect it.....

#15 ·
Dang, i caught myself at how OP could drive if in South Canada it's -10 Celsius and snow knee-deep. And then checked the weather in BC :eek: Very tempting indeed :cool:

Poles changin'

#16 ·
Update: scooter picked up Thursday morning by towing company and is now in the shop getting stripped and assessed. I will know more next week when the adjustor gets back to me. Colourful bruises coming out on shins, wrists and hands.
The weather has not been too bad these last few days, Monday was the first warmish sunny day we have experienced in a while so I was eager to use the scooter instead of the car. Oh well it happened just have to deal with it and go on from here. Have a great weekend folks. Hugs Sally.

#17 ·
Thank you for getting back to us. My wife has been bugging me daily for more information as I told her about your misfortune. I have been checking to see if you had posted...

I thought you said that you were uninjured? Bruising doesn't happen usually without injury. Are you okay?

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

#21 ·
Sorry to hear about your accident and I know it had to make you sick since you just got your new Burgman. Glad you weren't seriously injured, but from all the bruises doesn't sound like your came out unscathed. Hope your Burgman comes back looking good as new and your back out riding in no time.

#22 ·
All in all it's probably good that Sally didn't end up having a ride on the road. If cold weather preceded the thaw, ground would still be cold and not as safe as it would on a normal day in summer.

#23 ·
It's those slow motion...moving the bike from A to B maneuvers...that get you every time.
Usually happens while lots of people are watching.
I heard a story from a Colorado Sate Patrolman parking his Police MC at a biker bar that dropped his bike in the parking lot. He knew all eyes were on him and forgot to put his kisckstand down! It got a lot of laughs but lots of bikers came out to help him get it back right side up. All bikers are fully aware that it can happen to anyone.

#24 ·
Sallybabe!
First of all I it is good to see you back on a scooter!!
Second sorry about the mishap but glad you were not hurt!
Third I hope the damages can be fixed soon and the insurance company does you right!

Take care girl! Hugs!

#25 ·
Doug, I was sort of injured in that I hit the side of the pond too (Pond being built up about 3 feet above ground and made of cement and rocks) when the scooter hit it and also I guess my body hit the scooter handlebars and console when it came to the sudden stop/crash. I meant no broken bones and no need to go to the hospital. I have bruises on my shins, ankles and thighs and wrists. It also hurt to turn over in bed as I think I wrenched the muscles near my ribs. Anyway healing and getting up and down the stairs at work with hardly any pain now. I was hobbling like a little old lady for a few days there.

It has been just over a week since they towed the scooter away and I have not heard anything yet from the insurance company. So far no news is good news. We had a lovely sunny day today but they are calling for snow and low temps again next week. At least I am in much better financial position to be able to cope with paying the deductible with no problem. Will post more as it becomes known to me. Thank you for all the warm wishes and the sympathies, they are appreciated. Hugs Sally.

#26 ·
It has been just over a week since they towed the scooter away and I have not heard anything yet from the insurance company. So far no news is good news.
As a retired insurance adjuster and someone who suffered through getting a settlement on a totaled 400 last summer, I can assure you that the time delay means nothing. On anything other than ordinary cars and trucks, there is no book or insurance company data base for the parts and labor. Also, 99% of insurance adjusters know nothing about 2 wheeled vehicles. They have the dealer prepare an estimate and they don't get in any hurry. They have to look up each part individually and generally guess at the labor involved. It is the last thing they want to do and they generally put it off as long as they can and only do it after several calls from the adjuster begging for the completion.

It took over two weeks for me to get confirmation that my 08 400 was totaled. I listed the damaged parts on my wrecked scooter, went online to a couple of dealer sights that had parts prices and I made my own estimate to confirm it was a total. By the time they got back to me, I had already replaced it with a 650 (only because I found one I wanted at the right price).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.