Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I was going to be stranded at work!

Went out to my bike after work today. It was 16˚F. Bike didn't want to start. Failed on first try - very weak. Voltmeter said 12.8V!! Didn't want to start on second try, but it did.

I know battery was full charge when I left the house in the morning - and I don't think I have a battery issue (it was on charger all night and reading full). I'm just hoping that the "cold" was suppressing the battery. Does that sound reasonable? It's a Ballistic Lithium battery, maybe 6 months old, if that matters.

On the ride home, bike's temp gauge didn't even get to the "C" (it was BELOW the C) for the first 20 minutes of riding. Finally, as I was waiting at a light, it warmed up to about 1/4 of the max temp (about half of normal). But when I started moving, it dropped back down again. When I got home, it was still sitting on "C".

So....bad battery? Or just cold battery?

·
Registered
709 Posts
A charged and ok battery will have a charge of 12.6v static. If it's less than that it is most likely weak or undercharged.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Great video, I wonder what the lifespan is on them. I know the lithiums are great on power tools.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Thought I was going to be stranded at work!

Went out to my bike after work today. It was 16˚F. Bike didn't want to start. Failed on first try - very weak. Voltmeter said 12.8V!! Didn't want to start on second try, but it did.

I know battery was full charge when I left the house in the morning - and I don't think I have a battery issue (it was on charger all night and reading full). I'm just hoping that the "cold" was suppressing the battery. Does that sound reasonable? It's a Ballistic Lithium battery, maybe 6 months old, if that matters.

On the ride home, bike's temp gauge didn't even get to the "C" (it was BELOW the C) for the first 20 minutes of riding. Finally, as I was waiting at a light, it warmed up to about 1/4 of the max temp (about half of normal). But when I started moving, it dropped back down again. When I got home, it was still sitting on "C".

So....bad battery? Or just cold battery?
Hi Alaska, yep the volts are ok but don't forget that a volt test won't show up any internal problems with the battery. If you have a weak cell, that will only show under a load test. So a fully charged battery may fail to start your engine if it has a weak or damaged cell/s. My car battery went out to lunch last winter showing 12.9 volts static test, but it couldn't sustain the amps to start the engine. It has corroded plates in two cells. I suspect that if the engine/fuel/electrics are ok it's the battery. It should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Yup all lithium batteries need to warm up to deliver full amps in the cold. The video does an decent job of explaining it. That is why they are not as popular in the colder regions.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I use a lithium battery and I was told to turn the lights on for a minute before trying to start my scooter if it was real cold out. Living in Florida I don't see a lot of cold days so I haven't had any starting problem in the two and a half years I've had it.(fingers crossed)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts