Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BUSA forum has a way of instilling a 'can do' spirit in most people who check in often enough and at least think through a procedure now and then. Well, I took my B400 to work today even though the weather people predicted some snow. I thought it through and could remember some posts that stated that riding in snow could be done. At least for short distances and mine was short. After work I geared up, dusted a couple of inches off the scoot (which came right back), and warmed it up. I was looking at 3" of wet, white snow and playing out in mind how I would tackle it. The UPS guy who was picking up was saying to me that I shouldn't do it. Don't do it. I had to give it a try and see if I could do it. I eased it forward and bogged down after 4' while the rear wheel spun and slid left and right. :? Even the front wheel gave way a little. I had to dig out the rear wheel a bit and then just sat there mulling over my options when a vision :angel4: of the Bridgestone Hoops popped into my mind. If they were new and on a four wheeled vehicle they would look to be bald. And they're rounded for even less contact. Duh! What if I just ran in car tracks was my next big idea. Yeah right, the best I could hope for was to bust up the Burgie and not my 60 year old frame. Age and experience won out so I spun out the rear tire to turn it 45 degs and shot her into the rear of the store with the UPS guy pushing too, and got a ride home in a cage.
Zero traction! I just didn't think it through enough. I mean, what was I thinking. :lol: :lol:

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I've ridden down to 16F, but I thought it through ...a lot. I knew exactly where the moisture collected on my commute and knew to avoid those spots. We hadn't had snow in about a week or so, and had had clear cold sunny days that left the roads...on my commute route anyway...clear. So I did it. No problems. But I would not have taken a ride off that route on those days at all.

I rode home from Lowe's one day on a couple inches of hail. Yes, I made it, but it took all the concentration I had (and luck or a guardian angel watching over me) to keep the bike upright. On a dual-purpose bike with crash bars, it would be no big deal to dump it. But once our Burgmans get a bit off center, we won't stop them from falling. All we can do is slow the fall down. And any time our tupperware touches pavement, it gets expensive real quick.

I'm glad you made it home ...and left the bike behind. White stuff, whether snow, ice or hail...is not riding conditions unless you have a Ural.

Chris

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
You are definitely braver than I. Good luck on your future choices.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My wife and I did an Edelweiss Alpine tour in July, 1996, and ran into blizzard conditions ( :shock: ) in many of the passes. That was the same time the Tour de France Rally was shortened because of weather conditions in the mountains. We survived it (obviously) and while we never want to repeat the experience, it gave us great stories to tell for years to come!

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Just because something can be done doesn't mean it is a good idea to actually do it :lol:.
Glad you decided to rethink :thumbup:.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I once rode from Buffalo to Toronto in a snowstorm (back in '65), on a 305 Yamaha Big Bear "Street Scrambler" with sort of knobby tires. It wasn't too bad IIRC, and there was a 19-year old French girl waiting for me in TO--it might have been cold, I don't remember...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Daboo said:
... I rode home from Lowe's one day on a couple inches of hail. Yes, I made it, but it took all the concentration I had (and luck or a guardian angel watching over me) to keep the bike upright. ...
Hail? UGH! I got caught in a hail storm in one July day. 60mi from home and it's 4" deep in the gutters. I managed get to my destination, laid it down as I parked, and enjoyed a cigar while I waited for it to melt.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Here is a dumb question...What is snow??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
wayneman said:
It's that pretty white stuff that hides the blemishes on the earth caused by man and nature. I have heard it is far less of a problem than a hurricane or tornado (those things that mountains divert or block).

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
wayneman said:
It's that cold white stuff they pack into a cone, & pour flavored syrup on,
at the County Fair....except this stuff falls out of the sky, & gets all over
the ground. Then the local government officials pray for lots of sunshine,
so it will melt....... :?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
From what you say, it sounds as if you took a chance in the morning, then thought better of it when you realized it was a bad idea. I would say you were SMART because you did park it for the night. Live to ride another day.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I got caught in two hail storms this year, one about 75 miles from home and it has one of the most tense scary things I ever road in. It got so bad at one point the cages all pulled off the road and stopped leaving me both lanes to play with. The hail got large enough at one point that it nearly bruising the tops of my legs. It was early in the year and warm so I didn't have my bid heavy duty rain coat, just a very thin wind breaker and a summer time mesh armored jacket. I put both on and that did pretty good. When I finally pulled off Dixie Highway to wait out some of the worst the hail was a couple of inches deep on the ground.

The second hail storm wasn't near as bad hail wise, but the rain got so heavy I not only couldn't see through the wind shield I COULDN'T SEE THE WINDSHIELD at all. I was committed to heading to Santa Clause Indiana, from Louisville, KY and was on the back roads. I had to just stop and wait it out.

I could really feel your dilemna I would have been the same way...."Hmm if I just go 10 miles an hour I'll be alright..." Grats all turned out well.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Hammer, I too live at the Jersey Shore (Brielle) and just did without electric for seven days, and then got hit with 5" of snow in my driveway this morning. The last thing I was thinking about this AM was riding my 650. Glad you thought better of it. I hope you don't live on the barrier islands!!!! Tom

·
Registered
842 Posts
Duster said:
wayneman said:
It's that cold white stuff they pack into a cone, & pour flavored syrup on,
at the County Fair....except this stuff falls out of the sky, & gets all over
the ground. Then the local government officials pray for lots of sunshine,
so it will melt....... :?
Ohhh, I thought it was like the sand at our beaches and you lay on it as a cool breeze comes off the ocean
and the temp is in the upper 70's.......In NOVEMBER. :D The beaches here in sw Fla have white sand.. That must have been why i was confused.(sand vs snow)
I do believe we live in paradise year round. Happy riding snowbirds...be safe out there.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GeeGusKahn said:
:cheers: .
I don't understand what the problem is??? :?:
It's posters like this that gave me the idea that it can be done. :D But I strongly feel that it cannot be done on a B400 07, with B-Hoops in three inches of WET! snow that gives when you don't want it to and becomes an immovable mass when you need it to give. Not that powdery stuff. If we get some powder here this winter I may have to think this through one more time. :blackeye: I am not anxious to ride in snow at all. I am just anxious to ride.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Bad idea. Plus the fact that with the CVT if you spin, it's not like you can pull the clutch in to control wheel spin, hit the brake? In snow? Just not a good idea. Glad you're safe.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
What most people don't pass on is that they got caught out when it started snowing and they managed to keep the bike upright long enough to get into the garage and collapse in relief. ;) Or they manage to get the bike to the end of the driveway and a few feet onto the road...take a picture to post somewhere (no reference to the above picture meant at all)...and then make it look like they had the skills to ride it 50 miles that day. :lol:

I can remember Dave_J talking about riding home from work on his 40 mile commute in snow. But I'll bet he wouldn't have left the house with that much snow. When my 400 slid twice on the overpass exit leading to work last winter, I was telling myself how stupid I was for riding in that day. I made it, but could've worked from home too. I was stupid. Hopefully, I won't get in that position again.

Chris

·
Registered
183 Posts
When any sort of wet stuff is falling from the sky my scoot stays home safe and secure I drive Old Faithful, my 92 Corolla with 300K+ miles on it. The **** thing is going to rust into peices before it quits running and I'll still be alive with my Burgman to drive because I have that option and take it.

Cold doesn't bother me and I ride into the teens with heated clothes but I do like my traction.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts