Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am thinking of getting a Gustafsson as I bacically like the OEM on the 400, but want one a bit taller.

Is anyone using one now, what is your opinion of it, and are the opltics clear like the OEM?

Am currently using a GIVI but find the optics unsatisfactory for me, and its too tall. Can't decide whether to keep it and cut it down, or try something different.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
No one in the forum has reported buying a Gustafsson yet as far as I know. I do have one ordered for my 650, and should have it sometime next week. Optics should be quite similar to their 400 screen I'd think. I'll get a report up after I try it out. I've previously tried a Givi and a Clearview.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
gustafsson windshield

I just ordered a shorter windshield for my 400 - expect it in this week - I'll let you know how it is when I get it... 8)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
pauljo said:
Diane,

Just curious... Did you go with Gustaffson? If not, where did you find the shorter shield?
I called Gustafsson and they said they'd be able to provide a shorter screen - I ordered it for $150.00. It should be coming in today, hopefully I'll be installing it by the weekend...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diane, I couldn't wait so I ordered one today 3" taller than the OEM. He said it would ship friday. Will let everyone know how it is after I get it.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
pauljo said:
I just received an email that my (6" taller) Gustafsson windscreen has shipped. Scheduled delivery is July 20th.
Yowsers, six inches? Question - isn't it pretty difficult to see through a tall windshield in the rain? I had a heck of a time the other day when I got caught in a sudden shower. Between my helmet shield and the windscreen, I couldn't see much of anything. had to pull off, dry off the shield(s) and wait until the rain let up... :?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
bikinbiddy said:
Yowsers, six inches? Question - isn't it pretty difficult to see through a tall windshield in the rain? I had a heck of a time the other day when I got caught in a sudden shower. Between my helmet shield and the windscreen, I couldn't see much of anything. had to pull off, dry off the shield(s) and wait until the rain let up... :?
Diane,

I am 6'6" with a 34" inseam, so I sit real tall. I've never met a windscreen that I had to look through... This one will actually be somewhat smaller than the Clearview XXL that I just sold.

Now, the ultimate comedy would be if Gustafsson sent your windshield to me, and mine to you... :shock: :shock:

Hopefully, that won't happen.... I am supposed to get mine on July 20th.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I've been holding out purchasing a new windshield until Clearview gets off their duffs and produces shields for the 400s. Based on the reports of the Gustafsson, I may go that direction. Eagerly awaiting Gustafsson reviews...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
billmeek said:
Eagerly awaiting Gustafsson reviews...
Bill,

You may have a review by this time next week. My screen is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday, and I'll get a review up as soon as I can sufficiently test it. Mine will be one of his standard +6" windscreens for the 650. Diane and Ted are getting special custom heights for their 400s, so it would be great to get their feedback as well. Because as we know, when it comes to windscreens, one size does NOT fit all...

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Not a big deal...but ya'll did notice there are no mounting holes predrilled in the screens? Did any of you order the $7.50 drill bit?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
bikinbiddy said:
...I had a heck of a time the other day when I got caught in a sudden shower. Between my helmet shield and the windscreen, I couldn't see much of anything. had to pull off, dry off the shield(s) and wait until the rain let up... :?
Well, if you drive in the rain a lot you could get a BMW C1. It's only 250cc, but it has a roof and a windshield wiper. Even a seatbelt/shoulder harness!

And some people actually think they're not funny looking. (I'm not one of them.) :lol:

Seriously, though; if you haven't already done so, treat your windshield and face shield with either Lemon Pledge or a motorcycle shield treatment. It really helps the water to bead-up and roll off.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
billmeek said:
Not a big deal...but ya'll did notice there are no mounting holes predrilled in the screens? Did any of you order the $7.50 drill bit?
I asked Gustafsson about that when I ordered. According to him the Burgman 650 screens DO have the holes and cutouts pre-cut. I'd assume that the 400 screens do also. We'll soon find out...

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
I asked Gustafsson about that when I ordered. According to him the Burgman 650 screens DO have the holes and cutouts pre-cut. I'd assume that the 400 screens do also. We'll soon find out...
See what I get for reading (and trusting) what's printed on their website? :bs:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
billmeek said:
See what I get for reading (and trusting) what's printed on their website? :bs:
Actually, I think many of their sport motorcycle screens ARE like that. The windscreen on my V-Strom has only two round holes in it where the screws pass through. Drilling the holes wouldn't be a big deal.

But as Gustafsson described the bottom of the Burgman windscreen: "It looks like a swiss cheese...". A pretty accurate description I'd say. And some of the holes are rectangular - not round. You'd need a square drill bit! :shock:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The screens for the 400 DO NOT have holes. He told me to get a Dremel sandstone bit #952. The reason for using sandstone is to prevent any chance that a standard drill bit might "grab" the plastic and crack it, being that close to the edge.

However, I drilled my OEM in five places, some close to the edge, when I decided to make my own "laminar lip" difice. Didn't do much good I should add...probable because it did't have the curve on the top side like the original LIP does.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
ted clement said:
...I decided to make my own "laminar lip" difice. Didn't do much good I should add...probable because it did't have the curve on the top side like the original LIP does.
Did you remove a big "U" shaped section from the bottom to allow air entry/compression, or just mount the whole old screen in front of the new screen?

I was considering doing something similar when I order my Clearview XXL.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brian, I had it offset about 1/4 inch so that air flow could get up and under. It helped a little, but it sure looked ugly. I've seen the Laminar Lip and it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
ted clement said:
Brian, I had it offset about 1/4 inch so that air flow could get up and under. It helped a little, but it sure looked ugly. I've seen the Laminar Lip and it looks pretty good.
Yeah, I saw the LIP just a few days ago for the first time, and thought it was an interesting idea.

The idea is similar to leading edge slats on aircraft, etc. and I'm surprised I haven't seen more things like that on bikes over the years.

I figure if I make something similar for myself only , but don't offer it commercially, that I'm not violating a patent (I think).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts