Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing around a bit tonight, and found that Gustafsson Plastics makes an assortment of Windscreens for both the AN650 and the AN400.
The shields apparently come in a couple of different sizes, with a huge variety of tints. Would you believe Flourescent Pink??

http://www.bikescreen.com/products.asp?id=88

Note: I tried a Gustafsson screen for my V-Strom last year. It didn't work out because I needed something taller - and Cee Bailey came out with the screen I needed. But I was able to return the Gustafsson screen for a refund (minus restocking fee).

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
allwalk said:
From the pictures they dont seem to have the flared out portion for the hands or mirrors. :?
That may or may not be a big deal. My original style Clearview didn't have that either. But it did knock a lot of the wind away from my hands. My Gerbing electric gloves took care of the rest when it was cold out.

Hey, come on. I know you want one in florescent orange tint! 8)

·
Registered
308 Posts
That makes four different aftermarket windscreen makers I know of:

GIVI
Clearview
Suzuki Upgrade
Gustafson

That counts for about seven different shapes available outside of the OEM

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stormsteed said:
So which one is the best one?
Clearview works really good - much better than the Givi for me.

The new Suzuki screen isn't available yet, so no one has tried it.

We just found out about Gustaffson - no one has tried it yet as far as I know.

There is also the Laminar Lip and SAENG Winglet which are add-ons to the existing windscreen. The Winglet didn't work for me, but the person I sold it to liked it.

The real answer to your question is that there definitely isn't a "best one" for everyone. It depends a lot on your size, riding environment, and preferences.

Some considerations:

Givi only comes in one size. If that size works for you, fine.

Clearview comes in 4 or 5 sizes - so they have a much better chance of matching you up with a windscreen that is right for your height. They do not have a windscreen for the 400 yet - but they are working on it. Also, their customer service is absolutely exceptional.

Gustafsson apparently produces a couple of sizes, so they fall in between.

The SAENG Winglet is tuneable - so if your needs are covered within its range of adjustment, fine. The Laminar Lip is less expensive, not as adjustable, but some tuning can be achieved by where you position it on the windscreen.

You will have to experiment - it took me several tries to find the best solution for me (on both my Burgman and V-Strom). These devices are not terribly expensive. Most manufactures will allow returns if you are not happy. Some deduct a restocking fee (Gustafsson), some do not (Clearview and SAENG). You will probably have to pay shipping to return the item - although when Clearview sent me the wrong size shield, they paid the return shipping in that instance.

If the item is not returnable, there are usually folks on this forum who are eager to purchase a used windscreen at a reasonable price. I sold my Givi, my SAENG winglet, and my original Clearview that way (I had used each of these for a while so they weren't returnable). It took no more than a day or two to sell each item.

So don't be afraid to experiment. It is worth it to find exactly the right solution for you - and you'll never be out the entire cost of experimenting anyway.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I just got an e-mail reply from Suzuki Canada. They are going to make available to me the new OEM windscreen ( pics in my gallery) at a discount price in order to do testing and inform you the membership. They did tell me that they were not sure if it was going to be offered in the States or not. I will tell you more later as I find out.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ordered a Gustafsson windscreen

I have found the Clearview XXL to be excessive. After reverting to the little stock windscreen a month or so ago, I reinstalled the Clearview XXL yesterday and took a ride. It just felt kind of dead & boring sitting behind that big screen. I guess I LIKE some air hitting my body now - helps cool me in the summertime, and it communicates a sensation of speed as well. But I would like a bit more coverage than the stock screen gives too.

So, I called Gustafsson Plastics today. He makes two taller screens for the 650. According to the website, one is +6", and the other is +6" +6". I asked what that meant. One screen is 6" taller than the stock screen, but similar in width. The other is 6" taller, and almost 6" wider.

I'm not concerned with shielding my hands (I have heavy electric gloves for cold weather riding). I also want to minimize the "air brake" effect that adversely effects gas mileage and high speed performance. And as I stated before, I want to feel some air behind the windscreen. So I ordered the narrower +6". I debated about getting a tint, but decided to go with a clear one. I wear a smoke tint faceshield on my helmet - the double tint effect might be too much...

Gustafsson said that he has sold (& personally installed) some of the 650 windscreens. As far as I know, no one in our forum has tried one yet. He also makes a +5" screen for the Burgman 400. All of his screens have a slight flip up contour at the top, to further lift air flow.

He said that my screen will ship the middle of next week, so I'm expecting to receive it around July 14th. I'm hoping that it will be a reasonable solution for me, and I will post a report after installing and testing it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You might try Lewtag for info on Gustaffson windshield. He doesn't have a post about them on this forum, but I think I remember a comment by him somewhere on the net. It may be worth a try.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Can't wait for Paul's review on the Gustafson wind screen. Didn't want Givi... too much of an air brake. In over 2 weeks time, Clearview never responded to a single of a my 3 emails. Depending on Paul's review, I'll either go with the Gustafson or the Laminar Lip.

- Chuck

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I talked with Clearview this morning. Their plant was shut down for the week last week, to upgrade their manufacturing process. They are making the Burgman windshields early next week. So if you have ordered one, look for it soon. Their sales people are back in the office today trying to catch up on orders and inquiries.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just received the clearview XXL in tint with an adjustable vent installed.

The vent is approx. 9" wide by 2" tall. I'll write more as I experiment with it. So far, I can tell that I can direct the wind to hit my torso, face, over my head, or not at all if closed. It is adjustable to 5 places and is made by Honda.

I agree that the XXL is massive, but this is what I was looking for. Being able to control the wind is a great.

I will have more to add this weekend.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've actually got the Gustaffson windscreen working quite well on my 650 after adding SAENG micro-swirl edging to it. I'll update the product review with the details. But I had a very bad phone support experience with Gustafsson yesterday. I need to say something about his customer support, so that others aren't taken by surprise.

Some history: I had tried a Gustafsson windscreen for my V-Strom last year. It didn't work out, and I returned it after one test ride. My next credit card statement showed no refund. I called him. He dug around and "found" the returned screen and said he would process the refund. Next monthly credit card statement arrived - no refund. I called again. "Bookkeeper oversight" according to Gustafsson, he'd take care of it. I finally received the refund, but three months after shipping the screen back at my expense. And he still deducted the 25% restocking fee after holding on to my money that long. That aside, his screen for the AN650 sounded promising, so I decided to give him another try.

After riding with the Gustafsson screen for about a week, I noticed that it didn't line up exactly on center. I measured, and the tape measure confirmed that it was offset 1/4 inch to the left. This bothered me, especially since the screen had cost almost $200 delivered.

I called Gustafsson and stated the problem. He started off on a somewhat sarcastic note. So my screen was off 1/4 inch? Well, well, well. A whole quarter inch? So what did I want him to do about that? Then he launched into a tirade. He noticed that I'd returned a V-Strom screen. If he'd noticed that when I'd called to order the Burgman screen he wouldn't have sold it to me. I was obviously one of those fussy customers who couldn't be pleased. One of those guys who just like to try things out and return them. (???? I hadn't asked to return the screen.) He then ordered me to ship the screen back, and if it was in perfect condition, he would deduct the 25% restocking fee and refund my credit card. If it wasn't in absolutely perfect condition, he would send it back to me and I would "own" it. (Again, that wasn't the purpose of my call.) He then went on for awhile explaining that minor imperfections were common in all brands of windscreens and most people don't even notice, explaining that he doesn't pay any attention to what Givi or Clearview charge for their screens - he uses better material that will last longer and charges what he should. He insinuated that I was the only person who had ever complained about one of his Burgman screens. He sounded extremely agitated, and didn't really leave me an opportunity to talk - he was basically unloading frustration toward me and my piddling complaint.

I finally got him to understand that I'd like to talk. He was quiet for a while, and I talked, explaining that I did feel that a screen that cost that much should line up perfectly, and that I had NOT encountered that issue with the stock screen, the Givi screen, or the Clearview screen. I also pointed out that I had not returned those screens to the manufacturers, but had sold them online after deciding that I wanted a different solution.

His ultimate offer was that I could return the screen (my shipping expense). If it was in perfect condition, he wouldn't deduct the restocking fee, and he would make me a new screen. I told him I'd get back to him if I wanted to do that.

I went out to the garage and remounted the screen, and I was able to get it aligned closer to center. Not spot on - but pretty close. If he had just worked with me on that, I'd be OK with the whole deal. But after listening to that tirade, including derogatory remarks on my behaviour as a customer - I'm not at all OK with Mr Gustafsson's attitude toward customer support. I test rode the screen again last evening - it is working well. I slept on it. I'm going to keep the screen. Hopefully it will last for as long as I own the scooter. I am going to avoid dealing with Mr Gustafsson again. Ironically, that will make him happy...

·
Registered
520 Posts
pauljo said:
I've actually got the Gustaffson windscreen working quite well on my 650 after adding SAENG micro-swirl edging to it. I'll update the product review with the details. But I had a very bad phone support experience with Gustafsson yesterday. I need to say something about his customer support, so that others aren't taken by surprise.

Some history: I had tried a Gustafsson windscreen for my V-Strom last year. It didn't work out, and I returned it after one test ride. My next credit card statement showed no refund. I called him. He dug around and "found" the returned screen and said he would process the refund. Next monthly credit card statement arrived - no refund. I called again. "Bookkeeper oversight" according to Gustafsson, he'd take care of it. I finally received the refund, but three months after shipping the screen back at my expense. And he still deducted the 25% restocking fee after holding on to my money that long. That aside, his screen for the AN650 sounded promising, so I decided to give him another try.

After riding with the Gustafsson screen for about a week, I noticed that it didn't line up exactly on center. I measured, and the tape measure confirmed that it was offset 1/4 inch to the left. This bothered me, especially since the screen had cost almost $200 delivered.

I called Gustafsson and stated the problem. He started off on a somewhat sarcastic note. So my screen was off 1/4 inch? Well, well, well. A whole quarter inch? So what did I want him to do about that? Then he launched into a tirade. He noticed that I'd returned a V-Strom screen. If he'd noticed that when I'd called to order the Burgman screen he wouldn't have sold it to me. I was obviously one of those fussy customers who couldn't be pleased. One of those guys who just like to try things out and return them. (???? I hadn't asked to return the screen.) He then ordered me to ship the screen back, and if it was in perfect condition, he would deduct the 25% restocking fee and refund my credit card. If it wasn't in absolutely perfect condition, he would send it back to me and I would "own" it. (Again, that wasn't the purpose of my call.) He then went on for awhile explaining that minor imperfections were common in all brands of windscreens and most people don't even notice, explaining that he doesn't pay any attention to what Givi or Clearview charge for their screens - he uses better material that will last longer and charges what he should. He insinuated that I was the only person who had ever complained about one of his Burgman screens. He sounded extremely agitated, and didn't really leave me an opportunity to talk - he was basically unloading frustration toward me and my piddling complaint.

I finally got him to understand that I'd like to talk. He was quiet for a while, and I talked, explaining that I did feel that a screen that cost that much should line up perfectly, and that I had NOT encountered that issue with the stock screen, the Givi screen, or the Clearview screen. I also pointed out that I had not returned those screens to the manufacturers, but had sold them online after deciding that I wanted a different solution.

His ultimate offer was that I could return the screen (my shipping expense). If it was in perfect condition, he wouldn't deduct the restocking fee, and he would make me a new screen. I told him I'd get back to him if I wanted to do that.

I went out to the garage and remounted the screen, and I was able to get it aligned closer to center. Not spot on - but pretty close. If he had just worked with me on that, I'd be OK with the whole deal. But after listening to that tirade, including derogatory remarks on my behaviour as a customer - I'm not at all OK with Mr Gustafsson's attitude toward customer support. I test rode the screen again last evening - it is working well. I slept on it. I'm going to keep the screen. Hopefully it will last for as long as I own the scooter. I am going to avoid dealing with Mr Gustafsson again. Ironically, that will make him happy...
Based upon your "initial" review of this screen, I called Clearview to CANCEL my XXL and switch to Gustafsson. I had sent 7 e mails to Clearview that went unanswered and 2 weeks being told on the phone "this week for SURE" by Clearview, while Gustafsson returned my e mail in 30 minutes stating they had one IN STOCK, READY TO GO!. Because of my EXCELLENT experience with Clearview on multiple prior purchases, I stuck with them AND my order. Now, I'm glad I did. I will never unerstand how ANY company in these times think they will survive with poor (or worse) Customer Service! It doesn't pay. I personally will never reward this treatment with MY money. In the end, I mostly hope your new shield DOES work out. That's the bottom line. Thanks for the "heads up" on the rest, Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
saeng wingtip

Paul, I'm glad the windscreen problem is solved for you, but I've been thinking of trying the Saeng wingtip route.Do you know if anyone has tried it-I did a search and only came up with winglet and edging stuff. I wonder if Saeng would let me be the guinea pig for the wingtip. Bill

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: saeng wingtip

flyboy said:
Paul, I'm glad the windscreen problem is solved for you, but I've been thinking of trying the Saeng wingtip route.Do you know if anyone has tried it-I did a search and only came up with winglet and edging stuff. I wonder if Saeng would let me be the guinea pig for the wingtip. Bill
The Wingtip is their bigger deflector, similar to the Winglet - same mounting system. I haven't heard of it being tried on a Burgman yet.

I tried the smaller Winglet on a Givi Shield. The problem I had was that the Givi already suffered from too much fore & aft flex on the scooter's mounting system. As near as I could figure out, that was due to the shape of the shield, which gave the wind too much downward leverage at the top of the shield. Well, adding the Winglet created even more leverage for the wind at the top of the shield - aggravating that problem.

I think if you tried the Wintip on the stock shield, it would work better, because the stock shield is more upright, and suffers less from the mount flex issue to begin with. It would probably also work OK on a Clearview shield. When I sold my Givi shield, the guy who bought it removed the Winglet - and attached it to the stock shield. He was pretty happy with that setup - he kept the Winglet & resold the Givi.

I've visited the SAENG shop. Their mounts are machined aluminum and of excellent quality. The advantage of the SAENG deflectors over the Laminar Lip device, is that the mounts are tuneable - you can adjust the angle, and to an extent the curveature, of the deflector - until you find the most effective setting. It is also a more secure mounting system. I've read some reports of Laminar Lips blowing off of the windshield after being used for awhile (they use a velcro mount attachment). The SAENG mounts are glued to the windscreen with 3M adhesive tape - it's unlikely that the deflector will go bye bye, as long as you let the glue on the tape cure overnight before mounting the deflector. SAENG does provide decent instructions regarding mounting, tuning, and care of their products.

I don't know if SAENG would give you any discount for being the first on BurgmanUSA to try the Wingtip on a Burgman. I tend to doubt it. But, it wouldn't hurt to inquire - the worst they'll do is say "No". They are cool people to work with - I've never had any issues with them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts