Discussion Starter #1
If you want to choke on prices, go to the various mfgr's websites in
the UK and check their list prices for new scooters, ie; Search for
Honda UK, Suzuki UK, Yamaha UK... todays exchange rate is $1.7469 US
dollars to the pound.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You get yourself bargains over there (in USA) even without negotiating with the dealer: Price tag in Switzerland for the AN650 K5 is around 10,800 US$!
On the other hand we can choose ABS :D

Happy riding

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep, I paid the equivalent of 13,100 US$ at the quoted exchange rate for an AN650A K5 with a Suzuki Top Case, Heated Grips and an alarm.
I'm not sorry I bought the Burgman but I wish I could have paid the dollar price.
Brian

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
.............and I paid the equivalent of $7070 dollars (US) for a pre-registered 2004 Lardy zero miles(dealer incentive). :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good deal Norm, you should have bought two!
I was in the unfortunate position of wanting to purchase an Exec that was in short supply. As it was I had to wait two and a half months for it so the chances of a discount were zippo.
No good crying over spilt cash though.
Brian

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Blackbird said:
Good deal Norm, you should have bought two!
[snipped].
Brian
Brian - that is my only regret (and I had the cash too!), just did not think it through - so cock a hoop at the good deal! :cry:

·
Registered
239 Posts
wilythek said:
If you want to choke on prices, go to the various mfgr's websites in
the UK and check their list prices for new scooters, ie; Search for
Honda UK, Suzuki UK, Yamaha UK... todays exchange rate is $1.7469 US
dollars to the pound.
I think the VAT is still 17 1/2% in England (Yes? No?).

But here your talking Apples and Oranges...I've noticed that things in England cost roughly the same (removing VAT) as they do in the US...IN YOUR CURRENCY...

When you Work for Dollars and Pay in Dollars its the same as Working for Pounds and Paying in Pounds....

In other words: If you get 500 Pounds a Week and Rent is 100 Pounds thats 20%...

If you get 500 Dollars a Week and Rent is 100 Dollars...thats still 20%...

Its when you try to go from one Currency to Another you can get Shafted...or Make Out like a Bandit!!!!

~ Roland

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True Roland, but don't forget that we in the states pay sales tax in almost every state excepting few. Usually in the 5-8% range. It's not the 17+% VAT but still an added tax, and some states charge a property tax on all your posessions usually at the rate of real property tax..

Interesting comment about things being about equal... completely different item, but a few years ago I toured part of Canada... A coke in the machine was 1.50 cn, at that time a coke in the machine in the states was $1 us.. The exchange rate for CN/US funds made the price of the coke in Canada about the same as in the US... So go figure...

·
Registered
239 Posts
wilythek said:
True Roland, but don't forget that we in the states pay sales tax in almost every state excepting few. Usually in the 5-8% range. It's not the 17+% VAT but still an added tax, and some states charge a property tax on all your posessions usually at the rate of real property tax..

Interesting comment about things being about equal... completely different item, but a few years ago I toured part of Canada... A coke in the machine was 1.50 cn, at that time a coke in the machine in the states was $1 us.. The exchange rate for CN/US funds made the price of the coke in Canada about the same as in the US... So go figure...
True about the Sales Tax...though here its Added onto the Price...over there the 17 1/2% is included in the Price Quoted..

So you buy a $6000 Burgman in Florida in my county you add another $490.

PLus I believe over their Freight and Set Up are also included as part of the Price...the Dealer here quoted me another $485 Freight and $285 Set Up...so you might actually be comparing $7260 dollars (No Tag) against £6000 Pounds (No Tag)....

We Quote a Base Price but then spout off "We Have to Add XXX"...They Quote Final Out the Door short of the Tag.

Now about getting that Rare Right Hand Drive Burgman....}:~D

~ R

·
Registered
33 Posts
The UK prices that I quoted earlier are indeed "on the road" prices.

Drive it out of the shop for that money, nothing else to pay but make sure that you have valid insurance.

The first service at 600mi (1000km) is allegedly subsidised. Total cost for my 650, including oils, filters etc was 167US$

Brian

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I agree we in the UK quote on the road pricing which includes all taxes and dealer set up.

I am not sure about the parity pricing and currency theory. The £=$ prices holds good or most things but not for earnings or even disposable income. For the most part our salaries are lower, taxes higher, housing costs higher and as a result disposable income less. A slight balance is we do not have the medical insurance to worry about but nevertheless on an equivalent basis our disposable and purchasing income is lower than the US.

·
Registered
239 Posts
NormanB said:
I agree we in the UK quote on the road pricing which includes all taxes and dealer set up.

I am not sure about the parity pricing and currency theory. The £=$ prices holds good or most things but not for earnings or even disposable income. For the most part our salaries are lower, taxes higher, housing costs higher and as a result disposable income less. A slight balance is we do not have the medical insurance to worry about but nevertheless on an equivalent basis our disposable and purchasing income is lower than the US.

You're quite correct...nothing is exactly equal...

Now lets take this from the opposite end...

The "Average" American (Not Counting Commerical Vehicles) puts 15-18,000 miles per year on there Automobiles/Small Trucks..EACH of them that they own...

Any idea what the Average distance Driven is per year in England????

While the Original Price might be Higher in the UK/Europe when the annual operating cost is figured up Americans may actually pay more...despite the fact that Gas is Twice as Expensive in England as here.

Would make an interesting little study....

~ Roland

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
GeGe Lan said:
Any idea what the Average distance Driven is per year in England????

While the Original Price might be Higher in the UK/Europe when the annual operating cost is figured up Americans may actually pay more...despite the fact that Gas is Twice as Expensive in England as here.

Would make an interesting little study....

~ Roland
12,000 miles per annum is often quoted but I can't be arsed to find an up to date authorative source. I do about that (, give or take) and my wife does slightly more (about 17,000) whereas my brother never less than 40,000!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts