Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't help but notice today that, while I was logged on, there were only 14 members logged in but 207 "guests" working the site, and a number of those were looking at members info. vs topics.

Is this site a fishing ground for marketing types (or worse)? The ratio seems all out of whack to me.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Very interesting observation. All I can say is that I do not believe I've ever been marketed to as a result of being a member of this forum. But still. . .

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I find this interesting too. I hope that since the sale of Burgman USA that we don't have this site being "cherry picked" for the members information. How did you obtain your information?

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I found how to look at this information. Non-members can look at our user profiles? I saw this occurring.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
202 Posts
It may be a member like myself that does not post anymore and just reads, shows up as a guest instead of a member. Just a thought

·
Registered
220 Posts
Most Forums that I frequent regularly will not let you excess all that is offered if you are not a member and not signed it. I personally have never had a problem with forums like these wanting to contact me or send me e-mails that I didn't ask for, plus I like to post at times and ask questions.

John

·
Registered
511 Posts
It may be a member like myself that does not post anymore and just reads, shows up as a guest instead of a member. Just a thought
I should think if you're a member you're a member, whether you're posting at the time or not. That's the way it is on other forums.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm talking about weather you sign in or not. If your just reading and have not signed in ,It may show you as a visitor. I very rarely EVER sign in. But I do come to the site and read. No longer interested in contributing, just reading !

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The owner who started the site was a Burgman rider. As a civilian contractor, he was transferred around the world plus he had some health issues of late. He felt he could not support the site properly and thus sold to Motorcycle.com. While it is not a profitable site, we felt slighted that we were not offered the chance to bid for it. Now we have ads and hyperlinks.

To date, I do not believe any info has been sold, just more ads. As with any forum, you will have many who are visitors, but like many I do not always login unless I am going to post. Some of my computers keep me logged in all the time. I would not worry about the number of visitors on the forum as no vital information is posted in your profiles unless you post it.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Don't forget all the search engine bots, and others bots scanning the public " guest accessible " data, emails, phone numbers etc. some people post them

I'm member of another site, that was nearly bought to it's knees because of the bots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would not worry about the number of visitors on the forum as no vital information is posted in your profiles unless you post it.[/QUOTE]

I guess that is my point. Other forums limit what "guests" can access and therefore you have some comfort that personal information is shared only with the members.

I have removed some info from my membership info. for this reason.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I would not worry about the number of visitors on the forum as no vital information is posted in your profiles unless you post it.
I guess that is my point. Other forums limit what "guests" can access and therefore you have some comfort that personal information is shared only with the members.

I have removed some info from my membership info. for this reason.[/QUOTE]

As did I.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I think that there is a feeling of paranoia on the part of some members. There is so much information about each of us out there on the internet - just Google your own name and you may be surprised at what is revealed about you and your activities online. AND besides........the NSA is already tracking all of our cell phone calls - We are tracked by millions of security cameras just about everywhere. Just relax and pop a few more Valium - you'll be just fine...!!! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think that there is a feeling of paranoia on the part of some members. There is so much information about each of us out there on the internet - just Google your own name and you may be surprised at what is revealed about you and your activities online. AND besides........the NSA is already tracking all of our cell phone calls - We are tracked by millions of security cameras just about everywhere. Just relax and pop a few more Valium - you'll be just fine...!!! :D
Just Googled my handle, DougInKY. Seems there is another who uses that handle too. Makes me feel better as that will add to the confusion for the snoops in the government. I think I would like to encourage more DougInKY's for my own personal comfort. The more the merrier.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
just googled my handle, douginky. Seems there is another who uses that handle too. Makes me feel better as that will add to the confusion for the snoops in the government. I think i would like to encourage more douginky's for my own personal comfort. The more the merrier.

Namaste'
doug in kentucky
try your own full name...................

1 - 17 of 17 Posts