Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already posted twice before, but I guess I should introduce myself.

I'm picking up my 2003 (left-over, got lost in warehouse), blue, Burgman 650 on Saturday.

I'm a computer geek / engineer who lives in the suburbs north-west of Philadelphia. In my spare time I'm a firefighter/EMT, so I've scraped a few motorcyclists off the highway. But I've scraped-up even more automobile drivers/passengers who got ejected because they didn't wear seatbelts. (And at least most of the motorcyclists had helmets; the ejected car folks obviously didn't.)

I rode a little bit MANY years ago. After 30 years of marriage, I finally convinced my wife that I won't kill myself. (A chart listing fatalities per million hours of use clearly demonstrated that motorcycles are much safer than boats.) Now I have to convince her that she'd like riding too.

I haven't named my bike -- I didn't know it was a requirement. However, my son refers to it as "Burger King" (because it's the largest Burgman); whereas my daughter calls it "Birdman".

I could've sworn that I saw a yellow Burgman on the roads around Malvern/Frazer/Great Valley a few days ago, but I'm not sure. Did Suzuki ever produce Burgmans (or Burgmen -- which is correct?) in yellow?

And, if people shorten my screen name as NormanB suggested in another post, I'll just have to find another. :)

- Bruce

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Bruce. Waiting until Saturday to get your new toy is going to be rough...but the wait is worth it. Glad to have another computer geek on board the forums. Maybe my pocket protector won't look so out of place now. :p

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Bruce

Great to hear from you again.

I wouldn't have dreamed of shortening your name - I just know some of the guys here can be a little tricky :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

I returned to bikes much like yourself. My wife was not that keen because I had a major 'offy' 25 years ago. I adopted the stealth approach. Bought a pair of gloves first :lol: . Then I came in with a brochure from a training school. She still wasn't too impressed.

When I turned up with the crash helmet she sort of gathered I was serious and sort of resigned herself to it. So I popped back out bought the boots and armoured jacket and trousers. We then looked over the brochure together and I booked the course.

I never will convince her to get on the back of the bike but I haven't tried very hard to be honest - it is kind of nice to get some peace and I am sure within a couple of rides she would be after an intercom and then - well - we may as well just jump in the cage. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Analytical said:
After 30 years of marriage, I finally convinced my wife that I won't kill myself.
- Bruce
Congradulations! It took me 32 years to get mine to agree!
I had her out on it on Tuesday afternoon, her first time on a bike. She really enjoyed it, she needs some more 2up training and I have to buy her either a backrest or the Givi box so she won't worry about falling off the back.

I KNOW you will enjoy it!

·
Registered
822 Posts
NormanB said:
I never will convince her to get on the back of the bike but I haven't tried very hard to be honest - it is kind of nice to get some peace and I am sure within a couple of rides she would be after an intercom and then - well - we may as well just jump in the cage. :lol: :lol: :lol:
So how DO you get her to go on the bike again? Mine keeps saying she will but there's always an excuse. A few years ago we were looking at his/hers bikes, but ever since her boss got tossed from his BMW and needed facial reconstructive surgery, she's not so keen on getting back on a bike again! Then there's her friends, each with a horror story to tell. In the 2 months of having the 650, I got her to ride around the block once. I'm still working on expanding that ride.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Late last Saturday I was able to get my wife Battina onto the back of the Burgy. Only her 3rd time on the scoot and the first time that it wasn't just a quick run to the store. We packed a lunch and headed off. After about 90 minutes we found a huge park drove through it, parked by an Elvis impersonater and walked down by a small pond for a picnic. She loved the ride. This weekend, weather permitting, we are off again.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Analytical said:
I could've sworn that I saw a yellow Burgman on the roads around Malvern/Frazer/Great Valley a few days ago, but I'm not sure.
Maybe it is an '05 being stealth tested.... Then again, how the heck could you "stealth" test a yellow scooter?

I've seen yellow Goldwings and yellow Helixs - and I see a yellow V-Strom every time I walk into my garage. I hope they do make more scooters in yellow. It is a very visible color, and I like that.

·
Registered
793 Posts
pauljo said:
NormanB >..."I wouldn't have dreamed of shortening your name - I just know some of the guys here can be a little tricky :wink:"
Golly... I wonder hoo that mite be...

So Brewster, you convinced your wife that you wouldn't kill yourself.
I'm still trying to convince myself of that.

Then you are a part time clairvoyant And an EMT.
Very good then!

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hi Analytical! Welcome to the forum and the FUN world of the Burgman. Good to see another Burgy on PA's roads (watch those frost heaves).
As a former PA MSF Instructor, I recommend you sign up for the free beginning rider course - best investment of time you can make. :D
Don

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Analytical said:
...did Suzuki ever produce Burgmans (or Burgmen -- which is correct?) in yellow?
Not yet, but the Honda Reflex, which superficially resembles a Burgman 400, comes in yellow.

And "Burgmans" is the correct plural of "Burgman" because it's a proper noun. :wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DonRich90 said:
As a former PA MSF Instructor, I recommend you sign up for the free beginning rider course - best investment of time you can make. :D
Don
That's how I got my license -- via the PA MSF course. It was nice to have them provide the cycles and gear while I was deciding if I really wanted to make the plunge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts